Jewlry???

wilber1

I asked this on the Alaska board but wanted to ask it on the Princess as well. Do many people buy jewlry in the ports? We have in the past and have gotten good deals. What is been your experince?

Thanks

Hi Wilber,

I haven't bought jewelry in Alaska, but I'd think (unless it's a local craftsman) that the jewelry would be the same price as what you would pay at home since Alaska is part of the US. (No duty free or tax free as is available in the Caribbean.)

I hope someone else can give you a better answer :) . I'd like to know, too.

Jewelry isn't one of the things I think Alaska is known for. You'll find some of the international jewelry chains but since you'll pay a sales tax, you'll probably pay more than you would in the Caribbean or Mexico.

I have some lovely ivory earrings with gold nugget center, and another set with jade and gold nugget that I bought in Alaska about 34 years ago. Don't know if they still sell those there.

I buy jewelry as a souvenir when travelling. I like it to be something that will remind me of the place. Two items I bought on Alaska cruises were fossil ivory earrings at Rainsong Gallery in Juneau. They are made from the tusk of a walrus. In Ketchikan, at Cape Fox gift shop, I purchased a pendant/pin made of sterling silver and about 2" in height. It is a totem for the orca whale. As the ship left Ketchikan that evening, a pod of 5 orcas, approached and then passed the ship. Every time I see or wear the pendant, I remember that special time.

After you get to see the whales there, many people want to buy some of the whale tail jewelry. I found a really unique necklace in Skagway made there by a silversmith.

I also buy at least one pair of ceramic earrings when I or a relative is going to Skagway. They are fired with some really pretty colors and I haven't found anything like them anywhere else.

After you get to see the whales there, many people want to buy some of the whale tail jewelry. I found a really unique necklace in Skagway made there by a silversmith.

I also buy at least one pair of ceramic earrings when I or a relative is going to Skagway. They are fired with some really pretty colors and I haven't found anything like them anywhere else.

Where do you get the ceramic earings?

If you want items that are really "made in Alaska" be sure to watch for this logo

newmiafront_r1_c1.jpg

if the item- any item- jewelry, ivory carving, soapstone carving- etc- is not marked with the two bears, it may be made elsewhere. Normally you will find Alaska made items in the small local businesses, not chain stores.

The jewelry that is local to Alaska is normally Alaska Ivory, gold nuggets, some jade, engraved silver, and bead work.

Normally you will not find bargins- unless you are coming in September, end of season sales are normally great.

Have a great trip. rlb

I searched Juneau for a pair of whale tail earrings and necklace. I was very turned off by the tourist trap places that advertized phoney 50 to 80% off "bargains" at twice the normal price. I was pleased to find a real jewelery store with real prices, and I bought there. The owner explained to me, with tears in his eyes, "These people come up here for the summer season, and take all the business. They close as soon as the cruise ships are gone. I can't make a living if they take all my summer trade. I will have to close. I try to give honest prices, but people get confused by the tourist dealers, and want me to give them cut rate, too. But my prices are real, and theirs are not." I hope he is still in business.:(

I searched Juneau for a pair of whale tail earrings and necklace. I was very turned off by the tourist trap places that advertized phoney 50 to 80% off "bargains" at twice the normal price. I was pleased to find a real jewelery store with real prices, and I bought there. The owner explained to me, with tears in his eyes, "These people come up here for the summer season, and take all the business. They close as soon as the cruise ships are gone. I can't make a living if they take all my summer trade. I will have to close. I try to give honest prices, but people get confused by the tourist dealers, and want me to give them cut rate, too. But my prices are real, and theirs are not." I hope he is still in business.:(

Gee, that is so sad.

Marilee

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and found that there was a large selection of gemstones in Alaska. There was a far better selection of tanzanite jewelry in Alaska that we can find here! Fire opal and prescious stones were also found in many shops. There were no real deals, but if you are looking for special stones you will find a good selection - at least you know that you aren't overpaying for something. And there is the remembrance of having purchased the piece on vacation.

Archived