Single Supplements

jpg1747

Just for a lark, I checked the price for a single supplement for a November 17 Eastern Caribbean sailing on Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, HAL and Costa against the price I'm paying on Carnival. Carnival was far and away the cheapest. They have the lowest percentage and the 1A category cabins which sometimes have windows/portholes (and I got one of those). I only checked OV rates because I won't take an inside cabin. My single supplement for this particular cruise is 130% on Carnival. Not only that, but Carnival's base price was lower that the rest. I'm not going to do this for any other dates/destinations, but I'm guessing that it will always work out the same, except for those last minute sales that pop up and are great if you can grab them. While Carnival wouldn't be my first choice if price were not a consideration, I figure this way I have more to spend on other things.

I have one of the 1A cabins with the 2 windows for the April TA and the the Med to follow. I could never afford to do this if it wasn't for the 1A cabins. I perfer Princess but as a solo appreciate Carnival. I would stray though if I ever become a couple.:D (sshhh, don't tell Carnival:eek:

Hi,:)

Judy, Celebrity does not have any ships sailing in the

Caribbean in November. Well, they do have 2 new ships they

just purchased but they are under the "Azamara" Logo. They

go to the Caribbean but are way too much for my $$$.

The regular X ships don't sail the Caribbean in November.

As for pricing, they have always been high on their supplements.

Maybe one day I will venture out but I love their product

and as others pay extra for balconies, I pay their supplement

and am always happy with my cruises:)

Lois:

I was considering the Carribbean this fall and then I got this great offer from HAL through my TA. As you can see below it's finally booked!! I have always booked an inside but this cruise has a deal on balconies that is only $300 more pp for the week. Traveling solo this puts it outside my price range but for some others it may be a real incentive.

I am usually less concerned with the supplement than with the bottom line cruise dollar anyway so this worked out great.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked a 1A solo on the Fascination for October at the per-person price, under $80 per night after taxes/port charges -- in other words, NO single supplement. Was able to pick a quiet cabin on an interior corridor between passenger decks. One of the two ports is an all-time favorite.

I'm happy!

I had taken the week of 7/4 off for vacation in the hopes of cruising. However, sticker shock killed that idea.

Resigned to the fact that I'd be spending a week at home, I willed myself to check for prices over the weekend anyway.

Lo and behold, up pops RCCL for $894 (single-inside) for the sailing in the following week (July 8 sailing) right out of San Juan (which helps 'cause I live here).

This morning I placed a courtesy hold on an OV (150 more), THEN ask my boss for the ok to change the vacau by a week, and by lunch time I dropped by the TA and paid for it. (The TA claimed she couldn't see that fare... hmmm....)

On another browser they are still running this (for this sailing) although OV is now gone. Still some insides available and even Jr. Suite.

I just loooooved updating my signature before this post.

Archived