carnival putting me through the ringer

ebergg

We had booked a cruise for 4 last year on the Glory in August. In July i had a life threatening illness (massive pulmonary embolism) which i was lucky to survive.

I had to cancel the cruise about 3 weeks before her departure and had no trip insurance. Carnival asked for a letter from my doctor and i sent that along.

They kept about $1000 of my money and sent me a letter that they would hold the balance , about $800 , that i could use for a future trip.

Again , i had no trip insurance and i survived the ordeal so i considered myself lucky to get that.

So we booked the same cruise for this August with one less passenger.

I got the military rate ('m a D.A.V.) but the cabins were quite a bit more expensive than last year . popular sailing , i get it.

Then they tell me that the money ($800+) was for the original 4 passengers.

Now they say that i wont get the money that should have gone to the 4th passenger

until i get proof from my credit card company that i paid them last year and another form that needs to be notorised stating that i was transfering the money over for the new cruise booking.

When i called the credit card company they said that they had never heard of a customer being put through all this.

Has anybody heard anything like this before?

If you booked the original cruise last year with a credible TA, he would be handling all of this for you and you would not be dealing with all of the hassle. My TA has details of every transaction I have ever made through him on his computer. I guess this is a classic reason why I only book through my TA!

We had booked a cruise for 4 last year on the Glory in August. In July i had a life threatening illness (massive pulmonary embolism) which i was lucky to survive.

I had to cancel the cruise about 3 weeks before her departure and had no trip insurance. Carnival asked for a letter from my doctor and i sent that along.

They kept about $1000 of my money and sent me a letter that they would hold the balance , about $800 , that i could use for a future trip.

Again , i had no trip insurance and i survived the ordeal so i considered myself lucky to get that.

I got the military rate ('m a D.A.V.) but the cabins were quite a bit more expensive than last year . popular sailing , i get it.

Now they say that i wont get the money that should have gone to the 4th passenger

until i get proof from my credit card company that i paid them last year and another form that needs to be notorised stating that i was transfering the money over for the new cruise booking.

When i called the credit card company they said that they had never heard of a customer being put through all this.

Well, I think you're pretty lucky that Carnival is trying to work with you at all; technically, since you didn't buy insurance, it's not their problem. Will it be terribly difficult for you to get proof of that payment from the CC and the other form?

Put through what ringer? The cruise contract you had last year entitled you to ZERO dollars after you cancelled - that is why anyone that is not super healthy and can't afford to lose cruise money should buy insurance.

It sounds like you are being treated better than many others that have had to cancel, I think if you shared your contract with someone knowledgeable at the bank, they would not say you were being put through the ringer.

Not sure what you were looking for from people but that is my entitled opinion...

If you booked the original cruise last year with a credible TA, he would be handling all of this for you and you would not be dealing with all of the hassle. My TA has details of every transaction I have ever made through him on his computer. I guess this is a classic reason why I only book through my TA!

Boy, that was a lot of help to the OP!!!!

I work in a customer service field, so I understand what you're saying. In the interest of customer loyalty, we go above and beyond - especially when we don't have to.

If all they're asking is that you fax them some paperwork, then you shoud probably just suck it up and do it. And this time, get the trip insurance :D

Well the letter that they sent me about the $800+ to use on a future cruise was written to me , i paid for the cruise and now i find that there are strings attached.

The $800 just about covers the cost of the increased price of the cruise.

As for the lack of insurance, my health was fine , i didnt know it but a large blood clot had formed in my leg, on July 10th the clot broke free travelled through my heart and into the main artery of my lungs. this usually results in death and there are few symptoms to look for before it happens.

Sounds to me they just want to make sure that you paid for that 4th person and not someone else.

I paid for another couple on my credit card this year (the couple is paying me back) and my TA was a little leary about this. She said to make sure I got something in writing up front from the other couple just incase for some reason we had to cancel. That way I would have some type of proof that I paid for it. Good Luck!

I thought you got half back is canceled that far out ?

yes he should have been credited back in either cash or to his credit card 50% of the entire cruise cost.

So I have no idea why they held on to his money or why he allowed them to.

However, he was very sick so perhaps no one actually cancelled till they were within the last few days of the cruise.

I'm sure dealing with a life or death situation the last thing on anyone's mind is cancelling the cruise.

I thought you got half back is canceled that far out ?

Unless when he got sick, no one cancelled the cruise right away and he was only a week away.

OP heres the chart, you may want to bring this up to someone at Carnival.

DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE DATE

2, 3, 4 & 5 DAY CRUISES

CANCELLATION CHARGE (per guest)

Up to 61 days None (except cruises to nowhere*)

60 to 30 days Deposit**

29 to 8 days 50% of Total Fare

7 days or less 100% of Total Fare

6, 7 & 8 DAY CRUISES

Up to 76 days None

75 to 30 days Deposit

Unless when he got sick, no one cancelled the cruise right away and he was only a week away.

OP heres the chart, you may want to bring this up to someone at Carnival.

2, 3, 4 & 5 DAY CRUISES

Up to 61 days None (except cruises to nowhere*)

60 to 30 days Deposit**

6, 7 & 8 DAY CRUISES

Up to 76 days None

75 to 30 days Deposit

THATS WHAT i THOUGHT tHE OP SAID THEY CANCELLED 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO THE CRUISE. opps sorry for the caps. Anyways sounds like either they cancelled within the 7 days and forgot or someone pulled on over on the, Did you book thru carnival or a ta?

OP,

Im not sure of what advice I can share but I wanted to congratulate you on your recovery from your illness and wish you all the best. One of the women I used to work with was not so lucky and did not have a positive out come. Best of luck with your cruise and more importantly with your health. (After all of this you may want to take that cruise after all :) )

Well the letter that they sent me about the $800+ to use on a future cruise was written to me , i paid for the cruise and now i find that there are strings attached.

The $800 just about covers the cost of the increased price of the cruise.

As for the lack of insurance, my health was fine , i didnt know it but a large blood clot had formed in my leg, on July 10th the clot broke free travelled through my heart and into the main artery of my lungs. this usually results in death and there are few symptoms to look for before it happens.

And this is another example of why people around here are always recommending insurance... healthy people die every day... healthy people have to get medivacced off ships... you don't have to have poor health to need insurance... I'm so sorry this happened, but you are alive. Something like this can put things in perspective... the stress isn't worth it. At least it didn't happen on the ship... thank goodness. You are lucky... count your blessings and move on.

My DH and I are in great health and we always buy cruise insurance, especially cruising in hurricane season, which is June through what November or so? I know it doesn't help you this time, but I'd always suggest cruise insurance. You could slip on a ummmm fun drink left on the stairs and splat, need medical attention. The kids in heelies could run you down in the hall, or the chair hogs could find you in their chair after a mere 16 hours away and throw you in the pool and hit your head. Ok, ok I'm being silly, but you know accident do happen. Congratulations on your recovery. Cheers, Carole

I am happy to hear that you are better and can take another cruise :)

Thanks for all of the responses. The fact that i am around for another cruise is obviously the important thing.

i did deal with a PVP but she is not there anymore.

It was mid July when i cancelled and the criuse was to leave on august 12th so there were at least 3 weeks but i didnt get the 50%.

I paid for the 4 of us with my credit card .

I've seen on this site there are cheaper sources of trip insurance than Carnival but the price i got from them was pretty high.

I should never have brought up the fact that i'm a dav as it has nothing to do with it. i have all of my limbs etc.

My real beef was about all of the hassle i'm being put through with notorizing and phone calls when the letter that they sent me last year said that the money was mine to use with carnival . my trip has to be paid off by May 23rd and i guess i may have to just pay it off with the plastic and hope that all of the red tape is cut before then.

So glad you are ok!:) My sister had a baby and on May 1st last year she had a massive pulmonary embolism and she did not survive. She was only 29 and left a newborn. Count your blessings and don't sweat the small stuff! Go have a great cruise.

We just went through the same thing with Carnival. My daughter was supposed to get married and the guy boke it off a month before the wedding. My Mom had paid for the cruise as a gift. They did agree to give back 500 dollars in a cruise credit. She had to get the notarized letter to Carnival but our TA just sent the paid in full invoice from his computer and they were happy. They said they had to do this because of course the runaway groom could come back and say hey I paid for my cruise. So they are not asking anything unusual from you that they don't ask of others. They really have no responsibility to do anything so jumping through a few hoops doesn't seem so bad. Cindy

Sounds to me they just want to make sure that you paid for that 4th person and not someone else.

I paid for another couple on my credit card this year (the couple is paying me back) and my TA was a little leary about this. She said to make sure I got something in writing up front from the other couple just incase for some reason we had to cancel. That way I would have some type of proof that I paid for it. Good Luck!

OP -- i agree w/ kurbanfan. this is the first and only logical explanation that hit me. if the 4th isn't going, and they are allocating a portion of the held monies to that pax, they need some assurances. they are looking for an indemnity. they need to be protected from a later claim by that 4th person, that's all.

you can't blame them for not wanting to release someone else's deposit to you, without having assurances that the money is in fact yours and not that of the 4th pax. if you cannot obtain the proof required, see if they will accept an indemity from you.

Archived