2007 Princess Wine List

LARGIN

From our retail pricing to Princess's mark up. I fiqure campared to what I can buy it for in my liquor store they are getting a $15- 25 markup. Not bad since some other cruise lines have a markup of $20 or more.

CuriousCat

PS plus I'm certain they buy it a significant lower cost than we could individually....:o

They do because it is purchased wholesale by the case. I think the prices are very reasonable. It also makes it affordable to get a decent wine, and have it served to you, as opposed to the typical pricing. As far as selection, there really is something for everyone, in every budget. I don't think that Princess will make the top 100 wine lists in wine spectator or anything, but for 9 days, it's enough of a selection for me. And, I'm a whino, lol. :D

And given that corkage is $15, there are many wines on the list that one would be more comfortable buying on board rather than carry it. Remember there is 15% gratuity for wine purchased on board but no sales tax (about 8% in US). /Sultan

From our retail pricing to Princess's mark up. I fiqure campared to what I can buy it for in my liquor store they are getting a $15- 25 markup. Not bad since some other cruise lines have a markup of $20 or more.

CuriousCat

PS plus I'm certain they buy it a significant lower cost than we could individually....:o

I would agree if leaving Stateside and doing Carib/Alaska but if one were traveling the Med then another story. I did a Med trip last year visiting Nice,Rome and Florence. There was no way I was not gonna get some wine for dinner/cabin.

We also visited a small small vineyard and bought a 6 euro wine that was fantastic.

I'm planning a land wine tour next year in France:p

CuriousCat

Correct and the Muriettas Well Meritage, one of my favorites, is cheaper on the ship than it is at the winery.. :D

SO happy to see our favorite is still on the list.:) I'm down to my last 3 bottles at home...7 days till the CB where I can crack open some of theirs.;)

How do you avoid the $15 corkage in the Dining room ? Corrupt the waiter by slinging him a 20 on the first night ? Oh dear..you are defrauding Princess !!:rolleyes: Oh..and do not forget ye olde wine cask (box of wine, whatever) in the packed luggage, very handy to put in the cabin fridge.

Bribery and Corruption not good.:mad:

Cheers:cool:

We have never, ever, bribed any waiter or assistant waiter with any upfront money. However, on the last night of the cruise, if we have had exceptional service, we do give cash tips to the waiters beyond what is automatically charged to the shipboard account. I have never once given any extra tip specifically on account of not being charged the corkage charge. Nor have I ever asked for a waiver of the charge, since I do believe it is fair.

On a European cruise, the corkage charge allows us to purchase while in port wines that are not typically available back home. Then we have an opportunity to taste these wines on the ship. I believe the corkage charge is preferable to having to purchase all wines from the ship's stores.

I have never felt in any way like I defrauded Princess. In fact, on nine to twelve day cruises, our typical final onboard spending amounts to $1200 to $2000, including $300 to $500 on wine.

Oh man, we never did try the Murieta's. We had stopped at Sam's in LA before boarding the Regal. DH got carried away and bought 12 bottles of red. I sneaked a sparkler in with them. So on our 20 night cruise we only need to buy a few white wines from that nice list. Boy, were those meals great with the wines of our choosing.

The first night we asked the asst. waiter to pour our red wine in a water glass like we had done on the Grand. He said no way, and produced a "wine glass". Larger and thin glasses, we were thrilled. The glasses were on our table waiting each night when we arrived to dinner. very nice!

Cheers!

I love to hear they have different wine glasses than the standard. My DH will be thrilled! Call me crazy, the glass makes a world of difference when you have a nice bottle of wine to go with it!

On the Dawn and on the Island they had kinda the correct glasses. They were thin wall and a bit bigger than the thick ones they normally use. On the Coral they did not have the correct wine glasses. Hopefully this has changed. If not, I will be bringing my own next year on our Coral b2b2b Alaska cruise.

Princess has alot of advantages as a cruise line over HAL n X, but once again, a wine list without years doesn't cut it. NOT GOOD!

Yes, I know you can ask the head waiter or ass't to get vintages (years), but because Princess, unlike HAL or X doesn't offer a dedicated

wine/alcohol server (HAL-X have one per 6 tables), by the time either-or come back to you, the app's have been served. TOO LATE! NOT GOOD!

Futhermore, on our Princess Star cruise Jan 07, our head waiter could only locate a decanter 3 of 7 evenings. Since I brought on board 16 90+ bottles of French and Italien, not being to decant a '98 barbaresco is also NOT GOOD.

Furthermore, the head waiter and ass't spend so much time serving the food, as they should, they do not have the time for proper wine service. NOT GOOD.

I don't want to simply complain, I'm just saying Princess could improve their wine service, from listing wines and years on their website, so the lists were far more accessible, to having more decanters on board, to sprucing up the service at dinner with a little more staff.

Until this happens, it's really hard to get overally excited as Princess being a great place to enjoy wine, marvelling at the wine list, etc...

However, it is still worth getting really excited that Princess remains a line you can bring large quantities of wine on-aboard, and my guess is that until they start listing years and avails on their website, real wine lovers will keep bringing their own, and maybe soon their own decanters. (lol)

jc

toronto

Good information to know about the decanturs. I am thinking I should bring my own to go along with the wine that I will be bringing on board. That is horrible that you could not decant! Did your wine turn out ok without the decantur?

I had picked up 16 bottles at Winewatch in FLL before boarding. It was nice French n Italien 92+ WS rated wine.

I've never done a test to see the diff between decanting and not, except that, at least at a nice dinner, which was wonderful every night on the Star, great wine often tastes so much better by the last course, or at least a good 30 min after breathing.

This was struggle on the Star, both first finding the decanter, then getting our head waiter and/or ass't to take a break, pour, etc. Not their fault, their overworked fer sure, but just saying, the lack of a dedicated wine stewart, or similar, at dinner, is a con compared to X n HAL.

Unlike Princess, Star at least, on our recent cruise on X Galaxy, the vintage years are smack right on the menu/list, as they should be.

All cruisers, at least whom enjoy wine, should pressure the lines to post all lists on their websites, including vintages.

jc

toronto

I had picked up 16 bottles at Winewatch in FLL before boarding. It was nice French n Italien 92+ WS rated wine.

I've never done a test to see the diff between decanting and not, except that, at least at a nice dinner, which was wonderful every night on the Star, great wine often tastes so much better by the last course, or at least a good 30 min after breathing.

This was struggle on the Star, both first finding the decanter, then getting our head waiter and/or ass't to take a break, pour, etc. Not their fault, their overworked fer sure, but just saying, the lack of a dedicated wine stewart, or similar, at dinner, is a con compared to X n HAL.

Unlike Princess, Star at least, on our recent cruise on X Galaxy, the vintage years are smack right on the menu/list, as they should be.

All cruisers, at least whom enjoy wine, should pressure the lines to post all lists on their websites, including vintages.

jc

toronto

At the very least the vintages should be on the dining room list. It would be a bit of a hassle, but perhaps calling the dining room before dinner to ask what vintage of a certain wine is available might be better? Even if $145/bottle is a good deal for a wine like Caymus Special Selection, Princess should make a reasonable effort to have the vintages known. Its just too much money to spend for them not to provide this info. I also agree about opening the bottle (and decanting) of reds as early as possible once it is ordered.....especially if youre paying $150-$200/bottle.

Archived