Tipping on Princess-Automatic?

Seayalater

I believe the $2 bill thing is discouraged. They are so uncommon they are sometimes taken as counterfeit in foreign countries and they are difficult to spend in the U.S.

And right - the staff and crew are happy when they are presented with envelopes - but it shouldn't be at the expense of the auto tip - that should be considered a base service charge and should only be questioned if service is not up to normal.

I have to laugh about the $2 bill. I live in an area of Florida where there is a high concentration of nudists. (I am NOT one - just for the record) There is a "code" here in town that if you pay your bill and include a $2 bill, they know that you are a nudist supporting our communities.

I don't know if that is just here - or if that is a universal code.

If it is - then your crew member may end up thinking you are a nudist!

I would find it much more believable that each member of the crew has an account that they deposit with the cruise line and at the end of their contracts the cruise line would cut them a check for the balance, or wire it directly to their home country, or that the staff member would do this during their off time in one of the ports.

Cheers,

Peter

Sorry, but you would be wrong, they are paid in cash at the end of every week / month (depending on the position). Princess does not write cheques to staff on the ship and my guess is that it has to do with taxes, etc. Most crew get paid at then end of the month so can you just imagine the bank roll that goes onto that ship . . . The safest thing to do would probably be to wire it home themselves. They do not have safes in their rooms but do have access to a box in the crew's purser desk (can't remember the correct name for it).

Now let's forget about the $2 thing and concentrate on the OP question and help out other new comers :D .

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong but this is how I think it works . . . Princess adds $10 a day for tips - $3.50 to the room stewart, the rest goes to all of the wait staff - whether in the buffet or dining rooms, plus the head waiter.

It can be removed from your bill but before you do that remember that this staff only makes about $50 a month before tips - a whole different topic about whether it is right or not for the cruiselines to do it, but that is what happens on almost every cruiseline (essentially, we are paying their wages through tips and maybe it would just be easier to add it to the price at the beginning).

When you hand them an envelope (wait staff, room stewarts will already know ;) ) they will ask for your room #. They must then hand it over to their bosses (?) and they will check if the auto tip has been removed. If it has the money goes into the pot, if not they will be allowed to keep anything extra. If they do not do this and are caught, they will be fired.

Honestly, they are not a fan of the $2 bills or trinkets or phone cards . . . there are 4 staff to a room (for this position) almost half the size of an inside room - they just don't have the space to save anything.

I have to laugh about the $2 bill. I live in an area of Florida where there is a high concentration of nudists. (I am NOT one - just for the record) There is a "code" here in town that if you pay your bill and include a $2 bill, they know that you are a nudist supporting our communities.

I don't know if that is just here - or if that is a universal code.

If it is - then your crew member may end up thinking you are a nudist!

Another major use for $2 bills in the US is in strip clubs. The dancers get more bang for the buck. :D

The Auto Charge(Tip) does not mean a bad review.. how could it?... if you really believe that there may be a Trojan Horse in your front door waiting...:eek:
The removal of the auto tip by a passenger is recorded and passed on to supervisors. If the supervisor sees a trend - a crew member continually losing the auto tip as opposed to a one-time cheap passenger - they see it as an indication of performance issues and will address them accordingly.

I just looked outside the front door - there's no horse.

You being a PrincessOphile thats understandable.... *S*

Spartans didnt want the Trojans to see inside either.. they never looked in the right place..

Do the supervisors (so called ) ever see themselves in the the mirrors too?

Does marketing in LaLa land?:eek:

The removal of the auto tip by a passenger is recorded and passed on to supervisors. If the supervisor sees a trend - a crew member continually losing the auto tip as opposed to a one-time cheap passenger - they see it as an indication of performance issues and will address them accordingly.

I just looked outside the front door - there's no horse.

I really don't see the purpose of giving a crew member $2 bills and make them scurry about their limited port time (the infrequent times they do make it off the ship) trying to use them up. Or the purpose in giving them something with the intent they don't use them. They're not working on the cruiseships as well-heeled volunteers.

I have to agree, many of my friends (I am Canadian) give the "twoonie" which is an interesting coin made of two different metals that we use in our currency everyday. However when outside of Canada this currency can not be converted as it is a coin.

I am sure whoever gave the coin thought they would keep it as a souvenir, but really they want the cash. I can't tell you how many times we've had workers on cruises, and at resorts ask us to convert their one and two dollar Canadian coins. Now it would be a different story if the ship was sailing into Canadian ports, then go ahead give the Canadian coin at least they can use them there.

But with regards to tipping, we do auto tip and we tip extra where we feel it is deserved.

Spartans didnt want the Trojans to see inside either.. they never looked in the right place..

Does your avoiding the point mean that you capitulate? I've quite frankly lost your point in all this - obviously you don't believe what I'm posting, even though others posting here have supported mine - so why not just be done with it?

Whether I'm a "PrincessOphile" as you call it or not, I'm relaying the facts as they are. One can choose to at least consider that they are truthful...or not.

Let's put aside $2 bills and dead presidents for a moment. One of the above posts quote Princess materials that state who is included in the automatic tips. (hotel, dining, and other behind the scenes staff) What about baggage handlers? If not included in the automatic....who do I tip, when, and how much?

Totally new to cruising and want to do the right thing.

TIA

Let's put aside $2 bills and dead presidents for a moment. One of the above posts quote Princess materials that state who is included in the automatic tips. (hotel, dining, and other behind the scenes staff) What about baggage handlers? If not included in the automatic....who do I tip, when, and how much?

Totally new to cruising and want to do the right thing.

TIA

Tips only go for those on the ships - the pierside baggage handlers are not included. Standard tipping for baggage is $1 per bag. I tip the handlers (including those who drive shuttles and move baggage), others don't. Whether it has a bearing on your baggage arriving where it's supposed to is unknown.

I don't know if the baggage handlers on board are cut into the tip pool...?

Originally Posted by AAAAmerican viewpost.gif

Does your avoiding the point mean that you capitulate? I've quite frankly lost your point in all this - obviously you don't believe what I'm posting, even though others posting here have supported mine - so why not just be done with it?

I keep stumbling on AAAAmerican's post - and I always end up saying HUH??? (so do many others.. I just don't get him)

Some readers may be misled by the "$3.50 to the room stewart (sic)". Much much less goes to the room steward. My understanding is that part of $3.50 goes to steward supervisor, laundry staff, turnaround deep cleaning crew, behind the scenes staff that stock the steward's cart, etc. Following is from Cruise Answer Book:

" During your cruise, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. Many more crew support those who serve you directly. For your convenience a discretionary Hotel and Dining charge of $10 per passenger per day (including children) will be added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This charge will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including the wait staff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others."

BTW, boldface is in the original post. Underline has been added by me.

/Sultan

[quote name='joanne1']
[B]Anyone can correct me if I am wrong[/B] but this is how I think it works . . . Princess adds $10 a day for tips - [U]$3.50 to the room stewart[/U], the rest goes to all of the wait staff - whether in the buffet or dining rooms, plus the head waiter.
[/quote]

[quote name='sultan_sfo']Some readers may be misled by the "$3.50 to the room stewart (sic)". Much much less goes to the room steward. My understanding is that part of $3.50 goes to steward supervisor, laundry staff, turnaround deep cleaning crew, behind the scenes staff that stock the steward's cart, etc. Following is from Cruise Answer Book:/Sultan[/QUOTE]

The cabin steward is assessed $1.10 per passenger from the $3.50. If the passenger does not leave the auto tip in place or leaves no tip or gives a cash tip, the steward is still assessed the $1.10pp.

[quote name='"Joanne"']
[B][B]Anyone can correct me if I am wrong[/B] but this is how I think it works . . . Princess adds $10 a day for tips - $3.50 to the room stewart, the rest goes to all of the wait staff - whether in the buffet or dining rooms, plus the head waiter.

It can be removed from your bill but before you do that remember that this staff only makes about $50 a month before tips - a whole different topic about whether it is right or not for the cruiselines to do it, but that is what happens on [B]almost[/B] every cruiseline (essentially, we are paying their wages through tips and maybe it would just be easier to add it to the price at the beginning).

When you hand them an envelope (wait staff, room stewarts will already know ;) ) they will ask for your room #. They must then hand it over to their bosses (?) and they will check if the auto tip has been removed. If it has the money goes into the pot, if not they will be allowed to keep anything extra. If they do not do this and are caught, they will be fired.

[B]Honestly, they are not a fan of the $2 bills or trinkets or phone cards . . .[/B] there are 4 staff to a room (for this position) almost half the size of an inside room - they just don't have the space to save anything.

[/B][/quote]
[B][B][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]Unless I've been lied to by Room Stewards and Waiters, Joanne is correct! The only thing we've "given" our Room Stewards (on top of the auto-tips and [U]extra[/U] tips) is a whole bottle of champagne (we don't drink it) and liquor (not worth carrying home), and a couple of magazines, all of which they seemed to appreciate.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/B]

[B][COLOR=#0033cc]If you give them "funny" money (i.e. $2.00 bills or weird coins) they have to go to the Purser to exchange it for "real" money. [/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#0033cc]As someone said (maybe not on this thread :) ) would you want your employer to give you "weird" money or "stuff" instead of your salary?[/COLOR][/B]

I promise this is my last tip question.

If I order room service, am I to tip the person who brings it or does it figure into the automatic tip?

Same with the bartender (I plan to visit him/her a lot). I read somewhere that an automatic 15% is added to the bill? Is that the gratuity or am I all wrong about that?

Thanks to the person who answered me about the baggage handlers. They are powerful people so I will make sure to tip!

[quote name='ANNIEPG']I promise this is my last tip question.

If I order room service, am I to tip the person who brings it or does it figure into the automatic tip?

Same with the bartender (I plan to visit him/her a lot). I read somewhere that an automatic 15% is added to the bill? Is that the gratuity or am I all wrong about that?

Thanks to the person who answered me about the baggage handlers. They are powerful people so I will make sure to tip![/quote] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Room service does not get part of the auto tip - you can add gratuity to the receipt (there is no charge on the receipt, it's only to track your order) or give cash.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bartenders and Bar Stewards receive the 15% tip that is automatically added to your drink order. If you feel that someone has gone above for you and deserves a little more, tip them in cash. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And always try to fill out the You Make a Difference cards (you can get them at the Purser's Desk and they take all of two minutes to fill out). While not cash, these help the employees in their evaluations and count toward the ship-board Employee of the Month award. They are very good things to give and can facilitate additional time off and/or promotions for the staff and crew. [/FONT]

[quote name='dforeigner']He used to be the same on the HAL thread but probably became persona non grata and came over to this board. It is best to ignore that individual just like that other clown with double personality (two user names, same person) that use to hang around. Sorry, I cannot remember the names.[/quote]

I think one of the user names was conversationalist or something to that effect.

[quote name='AAAAmerican']If your not a PrincessOPhile then why do you show it?
But what your relaying , as you stated/posted, is not fact but mere opinion.[/quote] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think Princess has a good product and I relate the good about it - I also see where Princess has issues and I also relate them. I think I'm pretty objective, actually. If that makes me an 'OPhile, then so be it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In the mean time, as I've said, whether one believes what I relate is beyond my control and totally up to them. [/FONT]

Hope this knowledge helps you now:

With baggage being the first major chore by the crew the Room Stewards and other Staff do this and then settle in to a so called normal shedule even though that is as well part of there shedule. Why would any cruise line hire people just for the chore of handling baggage aboard in mass numbers?

Yes ashore in the US Ports most of the times Union LongShoremen are hired for the duties prior to boarding.

A few years ago.. about 1992 we took another cruise b2b and they did not hire LongShoremen and we were r/t to Manhattan Island at the NYC Passenger Cruise Terminal [URL="http://www.nypst.com"]http://www.nypst.com[/URL] at Mid-Town on the North River (Most know it as the Hudson River)

We usually tip the LongShoremen $2 a bag and we have had many want to buy more Thomas Jeffersons too. Alexander Hamilton is burried DownTown at Trinity. SO yes Jeffersonian vs Hamiltonian..

Now the question as I had to Post prior to this one.

[B]Have you ever cruised on ships in Europe, are you familiar with the as we call it tipping/gratuities there and ratios too?[/B]

Even American Cruise Lines ..Carnival with all its ..children Cunard..Princess..Holland America..etc.. does that the European method.

DO they pay the crews more even without the AutoCharge (TIP) in the European Cruises ?

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tips only go for those on the ships - the pierside baggage handlers are not included. Standard tipping for baggage is $1 per bag. I tip the handlers (including those who drive shuttles and move baggage), others don't. Whether it has a bearing on your baggage arriving where it's supposed to is unknown. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I don't know if the baggage handlers on board are cut into the tip pool...?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I also think some of Carnival (WorldCruise Corp's) Princess Cruise Line, Ltd products are nice as well some services..thats why we do cruise on the ships and pay for it well.

All lines do have pluses and minuses. Which should be known then shown how else otherwise would they ever be corrected?

Objectivity shows a sign of a good open mind. Now is the Ocean half full or half empty... no not H2o but of Fish?

Yes opinions are subjective and a personal choice. I hope most people do have them..

I saw a quote here from what I believe, was a Gentleman, he said [I][U]his Mothers Cooking was the very best in the Land ..well until he traveled the land ..[/U][/I].:cool:

Trying other Cruise Lines all over the world rounds opinons and can be expressed then with knowledge thereof.

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think Princess has a good product and I relate the good about it - I also see where Princess has issues and I also relate them. I think I'm pretty objective, actually. If that makes me an 'OPhile, then so be it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In the mean time, as I've said, whether one believes what I relate is beyond my control and totally up to them. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Archived