Lunch in the dining room

Solo Cruiser

I read somewhere that the main dining room is only open for lunch on sea days. Is that, as I hope it is, some old information or does that apply to more recent sailings as well? To me there is something so wonderful about lunch, and breakfast too for that matter, in the dining room. Guess I'm not much of a buffet person.

On the Veendam in Dec the d.r. was open for lunch 4 days out of 7: the two sea days, one semi-sea day (we were scheduled to arrive in port at 11:00a but were delayed about an hour), and one port day. The Pinnacle Grill was open one sea day and two port days. ($15 pp cover charge). The only day both were closed was embarkation day. :)

On our Alaska cruise the dining room was open for breakfast and lunch only on at-sea days and the day we ported in Victoria at 6pm, so it was open 3 days out of 7. I think each ship on each individual itinerary makes that decision based on numbers from previous years. I remember being asked a few times on earlier cruises for cabin numbers and port plans as we entered the dining room for breakfast and/or lunch. I think it's a staffing issue as well as a food preparation issue. It makes sense not to assign staff or prepare food for a room that is 2/3 empty. I really have never seen a full dining room at lunch on any HAL ship in the last 2 years.

GN

I normally go to the dining room for breakfast instead of the lido. I love the table settings, the wait service, and have the fine china to eat from for me this is a real treat from home. The hour or time is limited but I pay attention to the daily agenda's and plan my wake up and sleep appropriately.

Linda

... for a room that is 2/3 empty. I really have never seen a full dining room at lunch on any HAL ship in the last 2 years.

GN

On our last cruise they used only the upper level for lunch, and that was only about 1/3 full ... so I guess 5/6 of the people must eat elsewhere. We don't usually eat breakfast in the d.r. because we like to eat quick and run.

I thing KK is quite correct about the popularity of ports for the crew being a factor.

In the past on all sea days the Dining Room has been closed for lunch. On our recent cruise it was open also for 3 ports in a row. This made for about 10 days straight for lunch in the Dining Room. Wonderful! Try the fish entree: there are a lot fewer passengers for lunch and the kitchen seems to have the time do a better job.

Enjoy.

Archived