Piraeus port info

covewomyn

Does anyone know if it's possible to leave the ship again on embarkation day after we've "checked in"? I would like to go back out to buy water soda,snacks, etc. in the port area of Piraeus (if thats possible) or is it better to buy stuff on the way in before we check in.

As long as you are back 1/2 hr before sail time you can come & go as you please

Not sure what is near the port maybe someone that has been there recently can comment.

Depending on which slip you tie up to, the walk to a local store for sundries is easily done. There are many kiosks selling water and snacks, as well. Howver, loaded down with heavy bottles of liquids might well make the return trip quite tiring. Taxis can only take you close to, but not next to the ship itself.

Does anybody know if either of these are options for getting to the Metro vs a Taxi from the dock?. I understand the walk is about a mile.

Quotes:

Free shuttle buses inside the Port run from across the Metro Line 1 Terminal Station, around the north side of the port to the ships sailing for Crete, the Eastern Aegean and the Dodecanese.

The number 843 bus ran from dock to station every 15 mins

In my own experience, the walk to the Metro from a cruise ship is about a mile (head for the Johnny Walker building). That walk takes you by the many kiosks and stores I referenced above.

The shuttle is probably to/from the port entrance, which is largely for ferries, while the cruise ships are around the other side of the port.

On the plus side, the walk is not burdensome and the Metro is fast, clean, direct, and LOTS cheaper than a taxi which may have rates that are based on what they can get away with. The Metro will take you close to the Acropolis and the Plaka, where you can easily find your way. I am quite sure there is a Metro map on the internet that you can find through Google. Then you can select the proper stop to exit/enter.

We drink bottled water at home, and were going to buy bottled water at ports on our recent cruise. In hindsight, it's cheaper and less cumbersome to pack a sturdy water bottle such as Naglene and fill'er up at the Terrace Cafe or the gym. The staff are more than happy to do this for you. The water tastes very good, and you'll have more money to spend on your snacks.

BTW, there is a row of small waterfront restaurants in Piraeus. We spent a lovely couple of hours in one that had windows that opened so you were just a foot away from the water. We had a nice bottle of cold greek wine and threw bread crumbs to the fish.

Archived