Favorite foods on Cunard?

calikak

Being pregnant, all I think about is food these days...so, what has been your favorite meal/food item on a Cunard sailing? I know it may be hard to choose just one, so feel free to just make a list. :D

Being pregnant, all I think about is food these days...so, what has been your favorite meal/food item on a Cunard sailing? I know it may be hard to choose just one, so feel free to just make a list. :D

Not my favorite but very memorable because I was in Caronia and requested this item and it appeared the very next evening on the menu. Floating Island. It is a dessert that involves a floating island of merange (sp?) on a vanilla pudding. Used to be able to get it here in the states at traditional restaurants but we have no traditional restaurants any more so when I asked about it and it showed up the next night, I was very impressed.

Not my favorite but very memorable because I was in Caronia and requested this item and it appeared the very next evening on the menu. Floating Island. It is a dessert that involves a floating island of merange (sp?) on a vanilla pudding. Used to be able to get it here in the states at traditional restaurants but we have no traditional restaurants any more so when I asked about it and it showed up the next night, I was very impressed.

Floating Island! Ahhh! I will have to try this and see if it works for me.

So far there's

Bananas Foster/Flambee

Floating Island. :p

Floating Island. It is a dessert that involves a floating island of meringue

I love floating islands:) They're the one pudding that I've tried to make at home and never had any success. When I make it the meringue just dissolves into the poaching liquor:( I've never seen it served onboard though.

Is there any foie gras?

Foie gras is just another pate. It's a bit like caviar or lobster - highly rated because of its scarcity value but, when you get to try it, is rather flavourless:( I'd far rather go for something like venison, it has a much stronger and more impressive flavour.

I love floating islands:) They're the one pudding that I've tried to make at home and never had any success. When I make it the meringue just dissolves into the poaching liquor:( I've never seen it served onboard though.

Next time out, request it. They made it just right.

Foie gras is just another pate. It's a bit like caviar or lobster - highly rated because of its scarcity value but, when you get to try it, is rather flavourless:( I'd far rather go for something like venison, it has a much stronger and more impressive flavour.

Well boo. Are you saying if they have foie gras it's not of good quality?:(

It's possible if the QM2 is leaving from NYC, and if she got her foie from say, one of the farms in upstate NY, it would be splendid and delicious. Maybe? Because I'm not talking about just another pate here. I agree about the caviar and lobster. OTOH, I don't know where the caviar came from. But the lobster is going to be frozen, and so, not so good.

I reckon what I'm saying is the foie would be fresh, and venison and lobster would be frozen. The former because it's out of season and the latter because it's unlikely they have a huge tank full of live lobsters scuttling about.

My vote must be for any flaming pudding.

You can't beat your pudding in flames beside you!

Matthew

I can't agree more. You will have to be my test taster, since you'll be on good old Mary before I. Don't forget to remember them. :D

Fresh foie gras, seared and promptly served is amazing. That is my personal favorite.

Fresh foie gras, seared and promptly served is amazing. That is my personal favorite.

Mine, too. <pause for moment of appreciation>

I'm beginning to suspect Malcolm maybe hasn't had that kind of foie, but has indeed had some really good venison. If I may, I would suggest time, place, and season for such tasty treats. We want some of all the above.

Oh yum, let's see ...

Dover sole with a creme de banana sauce, deboned and flambed by your head waiter or Maitre d' at your table.

Also cooked table side is the the duck a la orange - delicious.

Rack of lamb with hot English mustard and mint vinegar sauce with peas and roasted potatoes.

Sevruga caviar with toast points, creme fresh, chopped egg, chopped onion and capers ( Small charge in PG and free in QG ).

Escargot in garlic butter.

Steamed ( fresh on board, not frozen ) lobster with warm drawn butter for dipping.

Foie gras ( has to be the good stuff ) served with crustless toast points.

Burp! ooo, excuse me...

This is a hard question to answer because almost everything is delicious. I would say that the Beef Wellington is very good. The rack of lamb is delicous and the dover sole, as others have said, is excellent. Most dished finished tableside are usually very good (bananas foster, crepes suzette and others). However, the most memorable for us was when we ate in Todd English. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and when I booked the table I asked for a special dessert and noted that my wife cannot eat chocolate. At the appropriate time (and after offering us the signature chocolate dessert) they brought this beautiful cake to the table. It was a white cake interwoven with fruit, all marinated in a champagne syrup. We each had a slice and we thought this was such a waste because we were leaving so much. (This was a full size cake--not one made just for two.) They asked if we would like to take the rest with us. We said we would love to but we wanted to go dancing. They said no problem and that they would deliver to the cabin. After dancing, we returned to the cabin and they had delivered it and placed in the refigerator. They helped make our special occasion that much more special.

Well, I've always been partial to the Beef Wellington. And I learned to make it myself! (Al lot of work)

I had the Foie Gras last year and didn't care for it. (I have had it before) Maybe because it was just after the spate of publicity last year about how cruel it is and that several areas/cities were thinking of banning it. Maybe that just kind f made me swallow with guilt, which can choke one!

Or maybe it was just TOO fatty for my taste.

Just my opinion.

there are a number of other delights, but I really like the Beef Wellington!

Karie,

who would like to be eating on a Cunarder right now! (Well, not this very monute, s I've already eaten!)

Next time out, request it. They made it just right.

I'll try:)

Well boo. Are you saying if they have foie gras it's not of good quality?:(

No Just that foie gras is OK but there are lots of things that I think are nicer:)

Well, I've always been partial to the Beef Wellington.

Karie - we had Beef Wellington for the main course at our partnership ceremony last October. A good Beef Wellington is one of the nicest (and most fattening) dishes around:)

Archived