Favorite foods on Cunard?

calikak

Not good reading this thread before lunch. Sort of like going shopping when hungry, one buys way too much of the wrong foods. It will be difficult to make a can of soup into a Cunard luncheon but I'll give it a shot. Maybe a wee dram of sherry in the pea soup will work and then I won't for the rest of the day.

I'll try:)

No Just that foie gras is OK but there are lots of things that I think are nicer:)

On the Regatta back in December I had foie gras in two different courses during one meal. I can find ways to fit even an excess amount in. :p

Breakfast = Banana Pancakes

Lunch = Any kind of fish

Dinner = Duck

Mmmmm, banana pancakes sounds sooooooo goooood...I may have that for dinner tonight!

Any other breakfast highlights? DH is a big fan of eggs benedict, but he's picky about it too.

Individual baked Alaska with hot morello cherries.

The cherries were prepared tableside, flambeed in a little cherry brandy by the maitre'd, who then added some more cherry brandy, then a great glug of VSOP producing flames which licked the ceiling, followed by more cherry brandy! I reckon there must have been at least 4 or 5 measures of alcohol by the time he'd finished. Then, at precisely the right moment, one of our waiters appeard with a fresh, individual baked Alaska. The maitre'd spooned the hot cherries around the pudding, and poured all the hot alcohol over them. The result was undoubtably the best dessert I have ever had (and probably the only one after which driving would have been illegal! Fortunately no such problems on the QE2...)

Individual baked Alaska with hot morello cherries.

The cherries were prepared tableside, flambeed in a little cherry brandy by the maitre'd, who then added some more cherry brandy, then a great glug of VSOP producing flames which licked the ceiling, followed by more cherry brandy! I reckon there must have been at least 4 or 5 measures of alcohol by the time he'd finished. Then, at precisely the right moment, one of our waiters appeard with a fresh, individual baked Alaska. The maitre'd spooned the hot cherries around the pudding, and poured all the hot alcohol over them. The result was undoubtably the best dessert I have ever had (and probably the only one after which driving would have been illegal! Fortunately no such problems on the QE2...)

How could you?

It's time to go to bed and you've made me hungry.....

However, I have to agree. This is one of the best features of the QE2 pudding range - which is saying something.

(The chocolate souffle is another too!)

Roll on October!

Matthew

How could you?

It's time to go to bed and you've made me hungry.....

However, I have to agree. This is one of the best features of the QE2 pudding range - which is saying something.

Roll on October!

Matthew

Oh please don't wait until October. See if you can have some on the Mary in June. I'm counting on you to be my Dessert/Pudding scout.

Mmmmm, banana pancakes sounds sooooooo goooood...I may have that for dinner tonight!

Any other breakfast highlights? DH is a big fan of eggs Benedict, but he's picky about it too.

Eggs Benedict is why I try to get up in time to breakfast in the Britannia.

Blue Heaven in Key West, I believe has a lobster Benedict.

Along with Cheesy Shrimp Grits!

Pecan AND banana pancakes (god save me) at IHOP! <G>

Sorry, it was the Casa Marina that had the Lobster Benedict. and it was lousy. But I think the Blue Heaven does something similar! (But good!)

Oh please don't wait until October. See if you can have some on the Mary in June. I'm counting on you to be my Dessert/Pudding scout.

If it is possible, I will.

Don't they parade Baked Alaska in Steerage? I know they do on Queen Elizabeth 2....

Matthew

Matthew

You just said the magic words! Chocolate souffles are my all-time favorite dessert, so if Cunard has a good one, I'm going to be hooked for life! :D

Here's where I get to sound like a snob: do they really do a parade with the Baked Alaska? I've never been a big fan of the parades, they remind me of being at a restaurant where they do one of those loud songs with clapping and bring you a birthday sunday with a pathetic-looking single candle. Or being on Carnival, where the waiters sing and dance every night. But the dessert itself is lovely.

My first post. Duckling a l'orange, rack of lamb, all fruit soups, and something called Amadeus chocolate fantasy that they had on QE2 in 1997, where they made a little chocolate grand piano, with chocolate black and white keys and filled it with some delicious creamy stuff. Never seen since but never forgotten.

If it is possible, I will.

Don't they parade Baked Alaska in Steerage? I know they do on Queen Elizabeth 2.... Matthew

Its worse....you are supposed to stand and wave your napkins in the air....just like Noel Coward and Marlene Dietrich did, no doubt.......:rolleyes:

Peter

Here's where I get to sound like a snob: do they really do a parade with the Baked Alaska? I've never been a big fan of the parades, they remind me of being at a restaurant where they do one of those loud songs with clapping and bring you a birthday sunday with a pathetic-looking single candle. Or being on Carnival, where the waiters sing and dance every night. But the dessert itself is lovely.

They really do:eek: There are two big differences between the QE2 and your description of Carnival though - it only happens on one night and the Baked Alaska just isn't worth waiting for:(

Its worse....you are supposed to stand and wave your napkins in the air....just like Noel Coward and Marlene Dietrich did, no doubt.......:rolleyes:

Peter

Ouch. We were supposed to do that every night on Carnival while the waiters sang and danced, which seemed very weird after having a surprisingly elegant meal with outstanding service (one of the few pleasant surprises on Carnival was our wait staff). But the other passengers seemed to really enjoy it, so I guess I'm just not a Carnival kind of gal. To each his own.

Archived