ship board account??

kenholt

Yes, but they will put a hold on a certain amount to start with and more as you charge on your Sail & Sign card.

See the Carnival site. Do a search for "debit card" and you'll find the information under "Sail and Sign Card" in the second paragraph.

I've used my debit card a couple of times. Saw a post recently where someone mentioned it was good to let your bank know that you're going on a cruise so that they expect the unusual expenses and holds. I've never done that, but it wouldn't hurt to call the bank a few days before leaving.

I'll probably transfer some extra money from savings to checking to make sure that any holds by Carnival are covered. Can always transfer it back to savings after the cruise.

We do that all the time, but we also bring an alternative form of payment. It's a good idea not to put all your payment eggs in one basket in case something goes wrong.

You can lessen the chance of things going wrong by (as noted above) calling your bank and/or credit card company to let them know you'll be out of town and what dates. That way when a charge comes through from some island someplace they won't shut down your card for security purposes thinking somebody stole your card and fled the country.

Here's more on all that if you're interested:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/how_much_cash_

The reason to call the bank to see if there is a daily limit on the debit card. I have a 400.00 limit on mine. Cruise lines do not take themoney out on a daily basis. They take the moeny out all at once. If the amount exceeds your daily limit the bank wont pay. You need to have the amount lifted for the duration of your cruise. Call the bank at least one month in advance.

Cruise lines do not take themoney out on a daily basis. They take the moeny out all at once.
Correct, but they pre-authorize or a daily basis the amount of the prior days spending. Then at the end of the cruise they put through the charge for the total bill, but without cancelling the prior pre-authorizations. This freezes an amount equal to what you spent, in addition to taking it out of your account, until the pre-authorizations expire in ten days or so. No big deal if you have a reasonable credit line, but could cause some problems if you are using a debit card against a checking account.

Prewarned is prepared.

Archived