Need some help please!

woodmill100

We love the sound of the new 14 night Alaskan Cruise starting next year. Originally our holiday was to be 3 weeks taking in California and Alaska with the cruise being 7 nights from Vancouver or possibly staying in San Fran and taking the roundtrip from there.

We are just slightly worried about being onboard for 2 full weeks. Having never cruised before, we'd appreciate some input from anyone who has been onboard for such a long cruise.

We'd be booking a balcony cabin and we've worked out roughly that if we stuck with our original plan, the cost of internal flights in the US as well as hotels, car hire, food etc will probably come the same as 2 weeks on the Tahitian Princess (TP may be slightly more). So from that point of view, cost won't really bother us.

Thanks if you have time to respond.

I doubt you have much to worry about. I haven't seen the itinerary you are considering but having been to Alaska a couple of times, I think it's safe to say that you will enjoy every minute. Something I think you will soon appreciate is that being on a smaller ship makes it much easier to get to know people on board.

We'll be in Edinburgh this summer, looking forward to it.

We love the sound of the new 14 night Alaskan Cruise starting next year. Originally our holiday was to be 3 weeks taking in California and Alaska with the cruise being 7 nights from Vancouver or possibly staying in San Fran and taking the roundtrip from there.

We are just slightly worried about being onboard for 2 full weeks. Having never cruised before, we'd appreciate some input from anyone who has been onboard for such a long cruise.

We'd be booking a balcony cabin and we've worked out roughly that if we stuck with our original plan, the cost of internal flights in the US as well as hotels, car hire, food etc will probably come the same as 2 weeks on the Tahitian Princess (TP may be slightly more). So from that point of view, cost won't really bother us.

Thanks if you have time to respond.

Hi there! :)

My husband's first cruise was to Thailand from Sydney in 2004 which was 18 days and he did not want to get off. Prior to going, he thought he would be bored but he discovered there were not enough hours in the day to do all the things he wanted to! The next cruise was four weeks to the US in 2006 and our next one will be a six week cruise from Vancouver to Thailand in September.

I am sure you will have a ball. We can't wait for retirement so we can do a three month round world cruise. It is a great way to holiday. You can do as much or as little as you want and you're only job is to enjoy!!! :D

I doubt you have much to worry about. I haven't seen the itinerary you are considering but having been to Alaska a couple of times, I think it's safe to say that you will enjoy every minute. Something I think you will soon appreciate is that being on a smaller ship makes it much easier to get to know people on board.

We'll be in Edinburgh this summer, looking forward to it.

I hope you have a fantastic time in Edinburgh. Plenty to see and do. We had a news report yesterday of a gent being airlifted from a cruise ship to hospital in Edinburgh. He was most upset that he missed the city!

We've never been on less than a 10 day cruise, have done a 15 day one, and have never been bored. We always feel like each cruise is over too soon, and would love to stay onboard and "go-round" again.

Having a balcony cabin gives one the option of their own outdoor space to relax in, if they don't feel like mingling. We have had one cruise in an oceanview cabin and 3 in balconies, and the balcony cabins are definitely our choice. That's all we will book now.

I sailed on the Tahitian Princess earlier this year for a total of 20 days in French Polynesia. You will love this ship. It is small enough that by the end of the first week, you will know most of the crew and passengers by name. It may not have all the bells and whistles of one of the mega ships, but it's decor is very elegant and there always seemed a lot of room to wander about. The library is stunning with a great selection of books. If you enjoy incredible scenery, you will not be bored. I did a one-week cruise to Alaska a few years back (in an inside cabin) and I spent all the time at sea out on the deck enjoying the scenery and fresh air. I am also very tempted to book this 14-day cruise as the itinerary is amazing. Also, if you have the time, spend a couple of days in Vancouver. It's a very beautiful and vibrant city. You might also want to rent a car and drive up to Whistler on the Sea to Sky Highway, which is a great car ride in itself.

I agree with Paul and Rob, all cruises are wonderful. Seems lately that the longer ones are more interesting and tempting to book than shorter jaunts. Although, you could put together a B2B with the shorter trips.

Happy cruising,

:)

I find that on longer cruises people tend to be much more relaxed and don't rush around trying to get everything done in 7 days. I love the days at sea. In Alaska, of course, you always have the incredible scenery to look at from the ship.

Our first cruise was 7 days to Alaska out of Seattle. Definitely not enough days. I had to take DH off kicking and screaming. Also, the 14 day itinerary on the Tahitian Princess sounds fantastic. If you can do it, I wouldn't miss it.

Looks like a fantastic trip to me! I assure you you won't get bored. Alaska is breathless and a trip that spreads out the ports really gives you time to enjoy it. My first cruise was to Alaska when I was a teenager, a loooong time ago. It was a tiny ship and I always wanted to go back. I talked about it so much that my son as to go their as a graduation present from High School. Ironically, for college graduation trip, we are going to the British Isles on the same cruise as Spongerob. What I like about the tour you have selected is that it goes further north, yet still returns to Vancouver. Most don't do that when they sail up that far, they are just one way.

One tip: find out which way in Glacier Bay the ship is going. We went clockwise, so a balcony on the Port side was a must. Although you can view it from deck, areas can get crowded, especially if you are in a dining area at mealtime when you pass. A balcony is perfect for that. You will also have less crowds if you go outside of the school year, if possible. We went in late May/early June and it still wasn't too bad...we did have 90 F weather in Juneau, though, not usual, but be warned, and dress in layers.

Our favorite trip was the Yukon-White Pass RR. Again, best side to sit for the trip up to the Yukon is on the left.

Have a great time! I know you will love it!

for those who asked, according to my information, the 14 night cruise will leave Vancouver on

29 May (the date we are planning)

12 June

26 June

Ports are as follows - if anyone can tell from this which way into GB the ship will go, I'd be grateful.

Vancouver

Friday, 30 May 2008 At Sea

Saturday, 31 May 2008 Ketchikan 07:00 14:00

Sunday, 1 June 2008 Glacier Bay 11:00 20:30

Monday, 2 June 2008 Skagway 07:00 20:00

Tuesday, 3 June 2008 At Sea

Wednesday, 4 June 2008Valdez 08:00 18:00

Thursday, 5 June 2008 Seward 08:00 18:00

Friday, 6 June 2008 Kodiak 07:00 17:00

Saturday, 7 June 2008 At Sea

Sunday, 8 June 2008 Juneau 08:00 17:30

Monday, 9 June 2008 Sitka 07:30 16:00