QM2 job descriptions

tiggis

For those who wonder what a QM butler is really there for, I recommend a look at the Employment section of the Cunard web site (it's on the UK site, anyway), where a number of vacancies are currently being advertised. Among other fascinating details I learn that Grill suites are actually cleaned by Assistant Butlers! The parallel description for bar waiting staff is also worth a glance - there's a requirement to try to 'up-sell' to premium drinks, though I guess that would be common in the hospitality industry.

John

1 May 2007

BUTLERS - QM2

The Job of Butler onboard, is one of generally being a higher level bedroom Steward; not only providing a certain amount of high level housekeeping services but also personal in suite service for those guests in our top level Grill accommodation.

there's a requirement to try to 'up-sell' to premium drinks, though I guess that would be common in the hospitality industry.

John

I really cannot recall ever having seen or experienced at first or third hand any such attempt.

I recall one superb sommelier who managed to find some cracking bin ends for us, but that wasn't "selling up" but rather looking after his "special" customers. (He was French, and we drink almost exclusively Bordeaux.)

Matthew

there's a requirement to try to 'up-sell' to premium drinks, though I guess that would be common in the hospitality industry.

John

Tales from behind the bar.......with Myles

It is!!! generally if somebody at the bar asks for a spirit its so very easy to put the glass in front of them and have the larger size measure in your hand, and as your about to pour just ask, is it a large one? All but the faint hearted say no:eek: Of course if the bar is quiet its easy to guide the customer to a premium brand such as from Gordons:mad: to a much better and vastly improved Gin such as Hendricks:D .

Even doing table service taking orders how many people when asked if its large ones, would dare say No just singles please lm to tight to spend the extra money on these people;)

And as night time draws to a close and the drink has flowed and people start on the bubbly, and ask you for a bottle its all to easy to go for the Krug and leave the moet, How many people would ask it to be returned and have something cheaper instead?

It happened to me recently the guests wanted something better, l duely produced the Cristal and they had two ! and of course l recieved a very nice "thankyou"

Of course its also a a benefit if you can judge your customers, My classic line is when offering a G&T is to ask with the tonic in hand "is it all in :rolleyes: " those that know me just smile, and some give the slighty confused look untill l prompt them "the tonic, is it all in?" with a very wry smile

Of course behind the bar, we do see and hear more than the guest realises.

Not that sales is the be all and end all, I have turned down a few sales of the Macallan 1952 to people who are in no fit state to appreciate that.

Tales from behind the bar.......with Myles

And as night time draws to a close and the drink has flowed and people start on the bubbly, and ask you for a bottle its all to easy to go for the Krug and leave the moet, How many people would ask it to be returned and have something cheaper instead?

Wouldn't happen on the Queen Elizabeth 2 - and I'd expect you to know that Myles!!!!

Matthew

Wouldn't happen on the Queen Elizabeth 2 - and I'd expect you to know that Myles!!!!

Matthew

Matthew, what are you doing over on the other side encouraging those folks to check out a Cunard sailing? They might actually find the price to their liking and we will have to deal with the dress code once again, and again, and again. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Matthew, what are you doing over on the other side encouraging those folks to check out a Cunard sailing? They might actually find the price to their liking and we will have to deal with the dress code once again, and again, and again. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Good point. You're doing a good job winding a few up though!

Matthew

Good point. You're doing a good job winding a few up though!

Matthew

Oh man! Where are the two of you doing this?

I'll take either fire extinguisher or gasoline, per your preference(s).

Gasoline to the Carnival board......

Matthew

Tsk. They're just insulting each other. It's infinitely more interesting when they attempt to outwit you and/or Song.

For the life of me I will never understand how disregarding a written request is considered an "opinion". Am I missing something?

Tsk. They're just insulting each other. It's infinitely more interesting when they attempt to outwit you and/or Song.

For the life of me I will never understand how disregarding a written request is considered an "opinion". Am I missing something?

Angela my dear,

I think it is them that is missing something!

Matthew

Angela my dear,

I think it is them that is missing something!

Matthew

Perhaps a few somethings! To repeat--the only way I will ever be on one of those ships is if they are pulling me out of the ocean after mine sank. I just can't understand the thought process.

Sigh. I will check the other thread later to see if I can help, though they will come after me since I've got those Cunard Clocks going. I don't know how Song has the stamina for these things....

PS: Q6 has a butler, yes? There was an article on the site here that said only Q4 and above on QM2.

Perhaps a few somethings! To repeat--the only way I will ever be on one of those ships is if they are pulling me out of the ocean after mine sank. I just can't understand the thought process.

Indeed. And I'd still want a mask!

Sigh. I will check the other thread later to see if I can help, though they will come after me since I've got those Cunard Clocks going. I don't know how Song has the stamina for these things....

They're not biting tonight as much......

PS: Q6 has a butler, yes? There was an article on the site here that said only Q4 and above on QM2.

I'm not sure, although I think all the Queens' Grill have butlers on QM2. On QE2 it is only the Sun and Signal decks (Q1 and Q2).

I'm not sure if they have decided about Queen Victoria yet. Perhaps it depends on how many they have room for......

Matthew

my god, it's like a war zone over there! are you both ok?

there are some places you just shouldn't visit you know.

I think I will stop while I am still behind. One can not convince people of something that scares the H out of them and that they really have never experienced.

Unfortunately, we have lost that step ladder approach to society where one could see the rewards and work towards them. Now there are no steps that are visible and everyone feels entitled, and does not need to pay either their dues nor follow any sense of decorum or rules.

Their great grand parents would roll over in their graves if they knew what was going on. I need to go back that far in many cases because we are into the third generation of problems here in the US and I suspect on the other side of the pond. That nasty line in the sand called 1963 just keeps coming back to bite us every day in so many different ways.

If one needs for further discourse on this matter meet me in the Chart Room some afternoon on the 2008 world cruise and we can spend a few days discussing it all.

I'm not sure, although I think all the Queens' Grill have butlers on QM2. On QE2 it is only the Sun and Signal decks (Q1 and Q2).

I'm not sure if they have decided about Queen Victoria yet. Perhaps it depends on how many they have room for......

Matthew

I thought I was sure that all the Q's had butlers on the QM2. I'm hoping someone just wasn't reporting correctly (Surprised? Not!) I'll have to recheck the cabin I've already picked out on QE2 to see which one it is. We're planning on not letting QE2 go away without us having at least one trip on her, butler or no.

How many they have room for=how many butlers? Or how many QG cabins? :p

I think I will stop while I am still behind. One can not convince people of something that scares the H out of them and that they really have never experienced.

Unfortunately, we have lost that step ladder approach to society where one could see the rewards and work towards them. Now there are no steps that are visible and everyone feels entitled, and does not need to pay either their dues nor follow any sense of decorum or rules.

Their great grand parents would roll over in their graves if they knew what was going on. I need to go back that far in many cases because we are into the third generation of problems here in the US and I suspect on the other side of the pond. That nasty line in the sand called 1963 just keeps coming back to bite us every day in so many different ways.

If one needs for further discourse on this matter meet me in the Chart Room some afternoon on the 2008 world cruise and we can spend a few days discussing it all.

You're a brave soul, Song. I was poor most of my life but still somehow managed to learn how to behave properly, mostly. Paying dues, I did, and entitlement, not so much. I'm happy to follow the old rules.

If anyone wants to flame me, go ahead...

You're a brave soul, Song. I was poor most of my life but still somehow managed to learn how to behave properly, mostly. Paying dues, I did, and entitlement, not so much. I'm happy to follow the old rules.

If anyone wants to flame me, go ahead...

Cheers Angela. I fear there are not many of us left. But we must keep on keeping on.

How many they have room for=how many butlers? Or how many QG cabins? :p

Back in June 2004, our only experience in a QM2 QG cabin, each butler cared for ten cabins. (BTW, the seafaring officers called everything a "cabin", the purser said "suite" for every accomodation, and the cruise director had everyone in a "stateroom".)

Back in June 2004, our only experience in a QM2 QG cabin, each butler cared for ten cabins. (BTW, the seafaring officers called everything a "cabin", the purser said "suite" for every accomodation, and the cruise director had everyone in a "stateroom".)

:) You know, if we were able to sort all the Cunard quirks out, I'm sure they would come up with some more, just to keep everyone on their toes.

Sometimes I think there's a conspiracy of sorts a'foot! Soon we'll have to share tinfoil hats amongst the group here. :p

Cheers Angela. I fear there are not many of us left. But we must keep on keeping on.

I stuck a toe in over there. Replied to one of Matthew's posts, since it was at the end of where I found I couldn't read any more. There were 2 more pages to go! Oy.

Archived