Alaska on HAL with young teens?

Hi all,

I am considering cruising Alaska next Summer with a 13 year old and a 14 year old. They are used to cruising the Carribean, and are very out-doorsy, so I think they'll enjoy Alaska.

But is HAL the ship for kids? I thought we'd try over the 4th of July, maybe on the Noordam or the Oosterdam. I know HAL draws an older crowd---will they be annoyed by teenagers (reasonably well behaved, but still kids)?

Also, my boys don't wear jackets and ties (don't own them). Are they necessary for HAL formal dinners?

Any info and any info on choosing between the Westerdam and the Oosterdam appreciated.

Thanks,

LastMinuteGirl (planning ahead for a change!)

There was quite a long thread, to which I contributed, on teens and HAL here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=556807

As for what to wear ... there have also been long discussions for adults and children. I believe the bottom line is that as long as you don't violate the no shorts, swimwear, jeans, flipflops or t-shirts rule, you will be allowed in the diningroom even on a formal night.

Your children will not be the only people who choose not to dress according to the dress code, but they will be in the distinct minority even on a more laid back Alaska itinerary unless I'm much mistaken.

It's really about what feels comfortable to you and your boys. I and others have suggested khakis or dress cords with a button down shirt and tie, or jacket or both is a nice chance to step up and get a feel for the nice feeling that comes with knowing that you're done up nicely for formal nights. I favor thrift and consignment shops, since prices are super cheap and boys grow like weeds for all of above.

If you choose to dress down but still want to do the main dining room, no one is going to say anything to you as long as you don't go below the absolute minimums of "not allowed." But it is kind of nice to see that look of appreciation in the eyes of the staff and your fellow diners when you took that extra step (doesn't have to be expensive) to dress up. On nights that are not formal, your sons can probably get away with jeans and a nice polo or sweater.

I'm from Seattle, the "fashion frontier" and anything goes anywhere here! In ports in Alaska you will also find that it is much more about comfort than style, but on an elegant cruise ship, sometimes style is nice too.

You know your guys, and will be the best judge of whether it's a good time to suggest that they upgrade the look as a learning experience, or whether they'd be more comfortable with a minimum despite the fact that a lot of other people will "put on the dog."

I can't imagine that outdoorsy young people wouldn't love Alaska!

My granddaughter was 15 1/2 when I took her to Alaska last Summer. There were enough other teens aboard that she was able to find some companions, without feeling she had to "make do". We were at a table for six---the others being even older than I. The other adults seemed delighted to share the week with her.

There were lots of activities in the teen center on sea days and every evening. We did shore excursions together and she kept active on port days.

As far as dressing for formal nights goes---this is a time for your sons to learn that there are occasions when you have to dress it up a bit; this is one of them. They can change later if they go to the teen center. Buy them clothes at second hand shops, or even rent a tux! They might like finding out how great they can look.

Any info and any info on choosing between the Westerdam and the Oosterdam appreciated.
The Westerdam has just completed its SOE upgrade and should be "like new" ... a real plus for me.

I believe the bottom line is that as long as you don't violate the no shorts, swimwear, jeans, flipflops or t-shirts rule, you will be allowed in the diningroom even on a formal night.

Many, many men without jacket and tie have been turned away from the dining room on formal nights. Although the boys could possibly "get away with it" I think this this would be a good time to introduce them to a jacket and tie. What are they, in 8th and 9th grades? There will be many social occasions for them in the next four to ten years where jacket and tie will be de rigeur! :)

Thanks to all who posted with ideas--the thrift shop one is a good one, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Thanks also to Happycat Bainbridge Is who already posted, but had the patience and generosity to post again. I did find your original posts right after I posted----thanks!

Thanks also jtl513 for the tip on the Westerdam! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

LastMinuteGirl:o

Hi all,

I am considering cruising Alaska next Summer with a 13 year old and a 14 year old. They are used to cruising the Carribean, and are very out-doorsy, so I think they'll enjoy Alaska.

But is HAL the ship for kids? I thought we'd try over the 4th of July, maybe on the Noordam or the Oosterdam. I know HAL draws an older crowd---will they be annoyed by teenagers (reasonably well behaved, but still kids)?

Also, my boys don't wear jackets and ties (don't own them). Are they necessary for HAL formal dinners?

Thanks,

LastMinuteGirl (planning ahead for a change!)

We cruised Alaska with teen girls (cousins) last summer. They enjoyed it greatly. There was enough going on in the teen program to be interesting, but also plenty of time for them to enjoy family activities.

Tell your boys that the girls are going to dress up pretty much for the formal dinners. You can see our two dressed up, made up, and hair done, at our site

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

and the girls really like it when the boys dress up and look so handsome to complement them!

If they boys don't want to get into suits, you can get blazers, or even a nice sweater or sweater vest to go with their nice tie. I have seen plenty of boys, and men, at formal dinners without a tie on, though, and never seen anybody turned away who was clean and neatly dressed.

OR -- you can really do the big thing and rent tuxes for them. Some guys get a big kick out of that ... and the girls really love it!

Westerdam and Oosterdam are nearly identical twins. I would choose between them by itinerary, dates, and cabin availability.

Have a GREAT cruise!

HAL has made a very conscious effort to make teens feel comfortable on their ship.

The teen hang-out "The Loft" and "The Oaisis" were very well received by our 15 YO nephew who accompanied us the past two years to Alaska.

If your teens are "outdoorsy" they will definitely find plenty to do in Alaska. We took our nephew whale watching, fishing, took a helicopter landing on a glacier, and, in Ketchikan, took the Rain Forest Canopy Zip Line excursion.

Our Nephew enjoyed dressing up for formal nights and I bet your teens will too.

Archived