Recommendation - car hire company Taurango?

aussie52

We are going to hire a car in Taurango and drive ourselves to Rotarua - the ship is in the port for a long time so feel comfortable about getting back on time.The Celebrity tour was expensive. Also when researching the local tours none covered all that interested us but had things we weren't so into. Coming from rural Australia we didn't need to see more sheep.:D We are on Celebrity and have booked on their shore excursion in Christchurch as we wanted to go on the train to Arthur's Pass and I was a bit worried about the time factor. Have booked Celebrity's tour in Wellington and Dunedin as they seemed to be comparable in price.

Which company for car hire in Taurango would you recommend? Have seen Pegasus and Renta Dent recommended on another thread - has anyone else had experience with them?

I can recommend both of them.

In tauranga they bought the car right into the dock area for us and we made arrangments to leave the car keys with the dock security guy for no extra charge.

In dunedin we used rent a dent but i think they also belong to "first choice" car rental. We had tp pay an amount cant recall how much to leave the car at the docks area.

We loved the drive to rotarua and they suggested other places to go. eg Buried village, blue lake, places the tour buses do not go to.

both were organised online.

that is right. I cannot recall what time but i do know it was quite late. I think the hirecompany comes to some sort of arrangment , no walking.

IN dunedin we left the car in a car park as per their instructions and walked back to ship, Only a few minutes. we also had a wander through the little port town.

We had a very full day at tauranga and saw so much as well as just spending a bit of time relaxing by the lake.This is a beautiful spot.

if you are doing this, plan on having a bit of spare time to go to tauranga. it looked like a lovely place but we only drove through because we didnt want to be late. We drove back through the forest( not thick forest mind you) into tauranga so we didnt go the same way there and back.

Yes 2 cavvies - One is 7 (Stella) and the other 6 (Sophie) and totally run the house - asleep on the lounge near me as I type!!! They don't know they are dogs - so no floors or outside for them. The photo is taken down at Yackandandah where we plan to retire to !! Plus the Charles the Cat who employs us as his staff.

Was the company you used - Pegasus?

yes that was the company.

my hubbys secretary moved to yackandah a few years ago. Her hubby went there with the police force.

Totally understand the ruling of the house thing. Hubby was the one who didnt want a dog in the first place, now who is the one who spoils him the most. Our dog knows when hubby is home before he gets in the door!!

We are going to hire a car in Taurango and drive ourselves to Rotarua - the ship is in the port for a long time so feel comfortable about getting back on time.The Celebrity tour was expensive. Also when researching the local tours none covered all that interested us but had things we weren't so into. Coming from rural Australia we didn't need to see more sheep.:D We are on Celebrity and have booked on their shore excursion in Christchurch as we wanted to go on the train to Arthur's Pass and I was a bit worried about the time factor. Have booked Celebrity's tour in Wellington and Dunedin as they seemed to be comparable in price.

Which company for car hire in Taurango would you recommend? Have seen Pegasus and Renta Dent recommended on another thread - has anyone else had experience with them?

We just booked with Pegasus for our day in Tauranga (Feb. 4). Their quote was sent quickly and seemed fair. NZD 65 including delivery and pick-up from the port. Again, the same arrangements about leaving the keys with security when the ship leaves at 11 PM. A quote I received from rent-a-dent was considerably higher, and included wrong information (including someone else's name and dates). These things can happen, but it seemed a bit unorganized.

Now, on to rental cars for Dunedin and/or Napier, Wellington and Christchurch. ..

All of you experts, do we need a car in the last 3 of those ports? Would an independent tour with a local company be better?

Yes - I think we will go with Pegasus. We are there on Jan 7th so will let you know how we go. We have booked with Celebrity for Dunedin and Wellington but now I am thinking maybe we should have gone with a car on our own. There are 4 of us travelling together.

If you decide on renting a car for Wellington and Dunedin, you can always cancel your Celebrity tours. I don't think there is any problem getting your money back until one day before the excursion. Check their "terms & conditions". Who would you be renting with in Wellington and/or Dunedin? Any suggestions?

dunedin, rent a car especially for 4 of you.

Make sure you drive around the otago peninsula. It looks like a hard road as you are driving close to the water but it is very scenic. This goes to lanarch castle and the albartross colony and penguin place. (check times though as it is not always the right season to visit. The albartross place is great just to visit, great coffee.

Check out others posting and find whereyou want to go.There is a lot to see here.

Christchurch i am sure you can do on your own. Get the shuttle into town and look around, The river, cathedral etc, lots of photo ops. We caught the free bus to the antartic centre, (worth a look)

There is also a tourist bus that goes around but not sure of the price.

wellington we didnt stop at so cannot comment there.

any further questions just ask.my photos are on yahoo (same name as here) if you want to check them out.

Thanks Karon

I think I will go with a car in Dunedin as the ships tour is only for a couple of hours. In Christchurch we wanted to go on the train to Arthur's Pass so will stay with the ship tour for that one.

Was the policeman in Yackandanadh you knew Rod Lay?

Tenerife,

I haven't researched a car rental company for Dunedin - will let you know what I decide. My sister was in the Canary Islands in January - had a great time.

Cheers

Have booked with Pegasus for Dunedin. $100NZD for the day. Quote was $75 for car and $15 each to deliver to port and drop off at port but they rounded it to $100. Apparently the port is 25mins from Dunedin.

So only Napier to decide on. Have booked a ship's tour in Wellington and Christchurch. Melbourne is familiar, lived in Sydney for 3 years and grew up in Newcastle. So I am about done!! Can't wait to be on the trip.:)

Archived