A Different (I think) Passport Question

I have read and re-read the passport info on the official site, but still have a question, because I can't find the specific info I am seeking. Perhaps some of you could direct me or let me know if you have had this scenario. My son will turn 16 in Feb 2008. His current passport (obtained as a child so good for only 5 years) expires July 3 2008. He will be traveling to London late December 2007 and returning January 2 2008. The tour company's guidelines indicate that the airlines (British Airways) requires a passport with an expiration date of 6 months subsequent to the date of travel. His passport expires 1 day prior to 6 months. I don't want to cause any difficulties for him, or chaperones, but can't really believe this could be a problem. I wanted to wait to renew until his 16th birthday so his new passport could last for 10 years. Also, is the correct procedure to apply for a renewal since he has a passport, or a new one as an adult? Thanks for any input or referral to a site which can definitively address this issue.

Oh, to relate this to cruising, the passport was originally obtained prior to his first cruise & used for each one since....

Thanks!

I have read and re-read the passport info on the official site, but still have a question, because I can't find the specific info I am seeking. Perhaps some of you could direct me or let me know if you have had this scenario. My son will turn 16 in Feb 2008. His current passport (obtained as a child so good for only 5 years) expires July 3 2008. He will be traveling to London late December 2007 and returning January 2 2008. The tour company's guidelines indicate that the airlines (British Airways) requires a passport with an expiration date of 6 months subsequent to the date of travel. His passport expires 1 day prior to 6 months. I don't want to cause any difficulties for him, or chaperones, but can't really believe this could be a problem. I wanted to wait to renew until his 16th birthday so his new passport could last for 10 years. Also, is the correct procedure to apply for a renewal since he has a passport, or a new one as an adult? Thanks for any input or referral to a site which can definitively address this issue.

Oh, to relate this to cruising, the passport was originally obtained prior to his first cruise & used for each one since....

Thanks!

I think he will be totally fine with his current passport. He's in that 6 month window but you could call your local Post Office and inquire, they would give you the info also. Good Luck

My son just had to apply for a renewal (he is 17 and his is going through the process right now). So no, you do not need to have him apply for a whole new one. He cannot do it by mail though, it has to be done in person. I would wait until he is 16.

I THINK you'll be fine. I think that 6 month rule is based on the date of departure from the US, not the return date. It's a precaution so when leaving the country, you're allowing enough time on your passport to allow you re-entry to your home country and not STUCK in a foreign land.

I'm not sure what BA's position is on this matter, so I suggest checking with them directly, since they are the ones who could refuse him boarding. Since he will have a return ticket that is well within the six month period, he and they should be okay. We have friends whose passports expired within six months of their visit to Europe, but aside from being advised to renew their passports as soon as they returned home, they did not have a problem. Just to be sure, though, I would contact the airline and double check. Also get the name of whomever you talk to, in case there are problems later on.:)

Thanks!

I wouldn't take a chance, even on one day. But the dates you give (returning January 2, 2008, expiring July 3, 2008) indicate that he'd make the cut.

Why don't you contact (a) British Airways, and (b) the British embassy or consulate?

I think the passport would be a renewal.

I found this online.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html

But he's within the guidelines, so it should be fine. But has the 5 year expieration policy changed recently? When we got a passport for our infant, the expiration date was 10 years from the date of issue. I think it would be interesting to have her go through immigration 9 yrs from now with an infant photo though.

-Rich

My personal opinion.... any time you are going to be dealing with a bureaucracy or, worse yet, multiple bureaucracies, I’d opt for a huge comfort factor. Why risk any additional complexities (like some dork at some counter who can’t do simple date calculation) when the cost of replacing the passport is relatively minor in comparison. I’d just renew and be done with it.

I found this online.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html

But he's within the guidelines, so it should be fine. But has the 5 year expieration policy changed recently? When we got a passport for our infant, the expiration date was 10 years from the date of issue. I think it would be interesting to have her go through immigration 9 yrs from now with an infant photo though.

-Rich

Please check the dates on your infant's passport. They're supposed to be valid for only 5 years for children under 16. And it's been that way for my daughter (now on her third passport) since she got her first passport.

Please check the dates on your infant's passport. They're supposed to be valid for only 5 years for children under 16. And it's been that way for my daughter (now on her third passport) since she got her first passport.

I've been pretty good at reading numbers for awhile now....:)

Am I reading this wrong or doesn't his passport fit the criteria with one day to spare instead of being one day short?

Yes. The trip is within the 6 month guideline. There should not be a problem. They want to make sure that your passport will not expire during your trip. Even if there is a delay, there won't be a problem coming back home.

When we got a passport for our infant, the expiration date was 10 years from the date of issue. I think it would be interesting to have her go through immigration 9 yrs from now with an infant photo though.

How did your infant get a 10 year passport? Kids passports are valid for 5 years. Even back in 1987 when DH got his first, it was a 5-year. If it really is 10 years I would check with the passport people before trying to use it longer than 5 years.

OP, I asked my TA the same question because mine expires within the 6 month window for our cruise. She said that "6-month" rule generally applies to far off places like China or India. I would imagine England wouldn't be that way. Plus he does make the window by one day. But call the airline to be sure.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and the advice.

I have to note that I typed the dates backwards in my original post now that I go back & check it. The passport expires on July 2nd and they return on January 3rd so it is one day short of 6 months. I will try to contact the UK embassy or consulate as referenced in one of the links you all provided.

I do understand the concern if one's passport should be expiring within a few weeks of your return - what if something caused a delay & the passport expired during that time, but six month seems a generous allowance.

If I renew his passport prior to the trip, it will be before he turns 16 so will be good for only 5 years. If I wait until he turns 16, then it can be good for 10 years so that is why I am trying to wait until Feb 08 if possible.

Thanks again everyone. While I do appreciate everyone's opinions, I am seeking further info from the airline and Great Britain to be sure so any helpful links will be appreciated.

Archived