Chilkat eagle preserve

rdg78

We are arriving in Skagway in June. Has anyone done the Chilkat eagle preserve float out of Haines? If so what outfitter did you use? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

:p :p :p

I have gone with an operator that is no longer in business. Frankly, you can see eagles all over Alaska, if you look. Sailing out of Ketchikan last week had an endless view of eagles all along the shoreline. Don't expect any other wildlife sighting.

HI BQ,

You seem to have a strong interest in wildlife viewing (like me). Two questions:

1. Is there an excursion at any AK cruise stop that will likely come across moose?

2. What is your favorite excursion(s) in Skagway/Haines for wildlife viewing?

You are such an asset to this group!

HI BQ,

You seem to have a strong interest in wildlife viewing (like me). Two questions:

1. Is there an excursion at any AK cruise stop that will likely come across moose?

2. What is your favorite excursion(s) in Skagway/Haines for wildlife viewing?

You are such an asset to this group!

Of all my trips, I have only seen moose one time on the Inside Passage- in Glacier Bay, next to the Grand Pacific glacier. One other time- I saw a "moose dot" with binoculars out of Haines.

If moose is a priorty, you need to consider interior Alaska and Denali Park. I've always seen moose there.

This is not the area for "wildlife", other than the eagle sightings in Haines.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Of all my trips, I have only seen moose one time on the Inside Passage- in Glacier Bay, next to the Grand Pacific glacier. One other time- I saw a "moose dot" with binoculars out of Haines.

If moose is a priorty, you need to consider interior Alaska and Denali Park. I've always seen moose there.

This is not the area for "wildlife", other than the eagle sightings in Haines.

I got kind of excited when one poster said they came across a moose and calf in the middle of the stream on the Chilkat river float. I guess this was a pretty rare and lucky event for them. I did see moose (and brown bear!) from the air on the way back from glacier landing out of Juneau several years ago.

Have you driven out to Chilikoot lake? If so what did you see?

I got kind of excited when one poster said they came across a moose and calf in the middle of the stream on the Chilkat river float. I guess this was a pretty rare and lucky event for them. I did see moose (and brown bear!) from the air on the way back from glacier landing out of Juneau several years ago.

Have you driven out to Chilikoot lake? If so what did you see?

Yes, I have driven out to Chilkoot Lake, it dead ends from the river. Real late in the season, slight chance of bears if you budget the full day. There is a campground and kayaking on the lake. Other direction is the Haines Highway, also have driven. But the eagle sightings are far superior from the water. Some "little" stuff to keep you busy with a couple good museums and the Seward's fort.

Archived