Haines

brunolvr

We went to Haines last week. It is a very small town with not much to see in the town. You can visit the whole town in about an hour. That said, the area is beautiful. It depends on what you want to do. We went on a bear watching tour, which was basically a waste because the bears are rarely around anymore due to all of the fisherman. But then we went on an excursion to Kroschel Wildlife Park and that was pretty interesting seeing all of the native Alaskan wildlife. I heard the raft tour was pretty nice too. I just recommend that you have some kind of tour arranged ahead of time. It's not really worth it to go just to see the town.

I have been to Haines many times and always find the area enjoyable. A good general guide for tours is Yeshua. This is too early for any bears- you need after the first week of Sept. this is a late salmon run area. Float trips are great if intersted in scenery and eagles.

You might want to contact Steve at Yeshua/Absolutely Alaskan ahead of time and see what tours/options he can suggest that you would be interested in -- very nice guy, a local who has lived there all his life, I believe. We've kept in touch off and one since we were there about 3 years ago... the scenery around Haines is lovely but you really do need to get out of town IMHO... there really isn't much right in town althought the setting is stunning

http://http://www.yeshuaguidedtours.com/haines1.html

Archived