Booking Flights --- how far out?

We need to book flights to San Jaun and are over 300 days out. Looking at the major on-line outlets now.

How far out did you book your flights and what method did you use?

We had to wait 329 days out to book our flights with American, Finally that day came and I booked with American Airlines since they were the cheapest in First Class. Im currently monitoring for a price drop. I booked Directly online with American Airlines, I also got to select my seats.

Fred

It depends. Figure out what you are willing to pay, monitor the prices, and book when the price meets what you are willing to pay. (General travel advise, not cruise specific.)

If you have frequent flyer miles to use, book as soon as you know you are going or as soon as the flights open. I just booked airfare to Miami for my cruise next March using frequent flyer miles (mostly obtained by charging everything to my AmEx). I coughed up enough miles for first class -- might as well do this cruise right.

With my experience purchasing airfare, there are different times of the year where booking flights will be cheaper... even days of the week. In my experience Tuesdays are usually the "cheapest" days to buy tickets and I tend to get cheaper airfare when I book flights after the "summer rush." I think this is because most people plan vacations during the summer (whether they are traveling during the summer or not)? A lot of websites offer things like "fare trackers" and such that will project what they think will happen with the fares. I'm also in the process of looking for airfare for San Juan. We are a little over 200 days out, but I search every week. Good luck.

My DW and I booked thru one of the online sites that starts with an Ex 330 days out. My limited experience tells me that most airlines don't book any farther out than that, some won't book until 200 or so.

Personally, I'd book as far out as possible in order to lock in the fare. fuel prices appear to be doing their Memorial day expansion again, :mad:and I'd not wait too awfully long.

It depends. Figure out what you are willing to pay, monitor the prices, and book when the price meets what you are willing to pay.

I agree!

This is the best advice you can get. We booked our airfare to San Juan in March for our cruise in Dec. We just monitored the prices almost daily. You will find that they will go up and down on a regular basis. Glad we did because now they are over $200.00 p.p. more.

Good luck!

We need to book flights to San Jaun and are over 300 days out. Looking at the major on-line outlets now.

We booked very early for our flights out to San Juan, I think is was almost a year out. Watched the prices drop after we booked and called and received credit for the price difference so our flight to San Diego in a week was already paid for with the difference.

We booked very early for our flights out to San Juan, I think is was almost a year out. Watched the prices drop after we booked and called and received credit for the price difference so our flight to San Diego in a week was already paid for with the difference.

you are flying into San Diego and cruising on the Pride:confused:

By the way I noticed you sailed the Crown Princess. We are sailing on her in Dec.

How was she?

Was this directly with the airline or though a TA or website?

Hello Corbin,

We flew to San Juan on May 6th this year. I was unable to buy our tickets around January-Feb when they were the cheapest. By the time I did get to buy them it was already April. I booked Delta there & AA back. I kept checking the prices & Delta actually went back down as it got closer to our travel dates. (I was checking because we are flying there next year around the same time also)

I'm really surprised that you can actually get tickets this early......usually they don't post that far in advance.

. Im currently monitoring for a price drop. I booked Directly online with American Airlines, I also got to select my seats.

Fred

So Fred, you are saying that if you book directly with AA, if the price drops you can get a discount just like the cruiselines?

I have a flight on AA booked, I may have to look into this.

Do you just check for this at the AA website?

you are flying into San Diego and cruising on the Pride:confused:

By the way I noticed you sailed the Crown Princess. We are sailing on her in Dec.

How was she?

Yes flying into San Diego and driving up to Long Beach for the Pride on June 3rd, first time to west coast. The Crown was a beautiful ship, loved the ports!!! The only thing we found odd, but probably should not have since we left from Puerto Rico was that all the entertainers seemed to be hispanic, so there was a lot of latin music. The Crown had a seafood buffet unlike any buffet we have ever seen, every type of sea food was available.

Yes flying into San Diego and driving up to Long Beach for the Pride on June 3rd, first time to west coast. The Crown was a beautiful ship, loved the ports!!! The only thing we found odd, but probably should not have since we left from Puerto Rico was that all the entertainers seemed to be hispanic, so there was a lot of latin music. The Crown had a seafood buffet unlike any buffet we have ever seen, every type of sea food was available.

Well... we welcome you to our beautiful state:) Just was curious why you don't fly into Long Beach. But I'm sure you must have other plans for San Diego which is beautiful by the way...

Yes I heard that about the latin flavor sailing out of San Juan. Oh well...the little sacrifices for such a great ship and beautiful ports. Thanks for the tip of the seafood buffet. Also looking forward to trying anytime dining. I can't wait!

Of course I still have the Elation out of San Diego for August to tie me over LOL!

I just read an article in the paper regarding refunding of fares when they go down after they are purchased. Yes, there are some airlines who will do this, but American is not one of them. You would have to pay them for a ticket change (100.00) and then they might credit you for the difference. I was surprised as I had been told that they would do this, but this article specifically stated that AA does not do this.

So Fred, you are saying that if you book directly with AA, if the price drops you can get a discount just like the cruiselines?

I have a flight on AA booked, I may have to look into this.

Do you just check for this at the AA website?

Im currently using Yapta to track my fare, as far as getting a refund, thats what Yapta says.

Fred

Hello Corbin,

We flew to San Juan on May 6th this year. I was unable to buy our tickets around January-Feb when they were the cheapest. By the time I did get to buy them it was already April. I booked Delta there & AA back. I kept checking the prices & Delta actually went back down as it got closer to our travel dates. (I was checking because we are flying there next year around the same time also)

I'm really surprised that you can actually get tickets this early......usually they don't post that far in advance.

I'm guessing these were not the "non-refundable" tickets. Do you feel you got the best deal using these?

(BTW, have you posted a review of your cruise on the Destiny?)

With my experience purchasing airfare, there are different times of the year where booking flights will be cheaper... even days of the week. In my experience Tuesdays are usually the "cheapest" days to buy tickets and I tend to get cheaper airfare when I book flights after the "summer rush." I think this is because most people plan vacations during the summer (whether they are traveling during the summer or not)? A lot of websites offer things like "fare trackers" and such that will project what they think will happen with the fares. I'm also in the process of looking for airfare for San Juan. We are a little over 200 days out, but I search every week. Good luck.

What day are you trying to fly in? I'm looking (hoping) to fly in early on Saturday for a Sunday cruise. The other problem I'm dealing with is the "required 2 day" over the weekend at the hotels we are looking at.

Well... we welcome you to our beautiful state:) Just was curious why you don't fly into Long Beach. But I'm sure you must have other plans for San Diego which is beautiful by the way...

Yes I heard that about the latin flavor sailing out of San Juan. Oh well...the little sacrifices for such a great ship and beautiful ports. Thanks for the tip of the seafood buffet. Also looking forward to trying anytime dining. I can't wait!

Of course I still have the Elation out of San Diego for August to tie me over LOL!

I leave Tuesday for SD for a conference for work, DH will fly out and meet me tried flying up to LA to meet him but cost was outrageous. Was told on this site that the drive was nice and would take just under 2hrs. Hope we make our flight back at 1:25pm:confused:

I also monitor prices. But, based on what a TA told me once and by monitoing I have found that about 4 month out "tends" to get me the best prices.

So, Pineview and all, you think the best strategy is to wait it our until a period between 200 and 120 days out?

I'm guessing these were not the "non-refundable" tickets. Do you feel you got the best deal using these?

(BTW, have you posted a review of your cruise on the Destiny?)

No......not refundable. I could've gotten direct flights with Delta for a little less & that would have been MUCH easier with hubby in wheelchair! We paid around $900 for two.......the people that cruised with us got theirs for $250pp with new airline Spirit. They didn't have any problems. We didn't go that route because we prefer to get home earlier than they were. I believe their flight didn't leave San Juan til like 3pm & ours left at 11 am

Yes, i posted a mini review (compared to others) in the Destiny only file.

Archived