Lamenting Celebrity's Goodbye to Bermuda

harryw

I first went to Bermuda in 1997 on my honeymoon (by air) and fell in love with it..since then, have re-visited four times on the Zenith..so it is bittersweet that my August trip on the Journey may be the last time I'll go there with Celebrity..each cruise was wonderful..pampered by a great staff, and meeting such friendly cruisemates..and never tiring of the Island..and so convenient since I live in NYC..I hope someday Celebrity returns..I guess it was a pragmatic business decision...

Harry

I know how you feel, Harry. Sadly, we will not have many choices on ships that go to Hamilton and St. George from NJ. We will be making our last trip starting Saturday(I have my fingers crossed and am going with an open mind). My parents, my husband and I and some friends were making an annual event of it.... We spoke to our TA and they suggested writing an email to Celebrity Captain's Club, my parents are elite members and we are whatever the second level is, regarding Bermuda, hoping that our voices will be heard. I wrote to them yesterday, haven't gotten a response yet... Maybe if enough of us make our feelings know they will rethink their decision. It's worth a try... So, come on everyone start sending those emails, the more the better!!!!

Christina

Since both the Journey and Quest are ideally configured for docking in Bermuda (St. George & Hamilton), I wouldn't be surprised if one of them returns to Bermuda runs in the future. Too popular a market to ignore.

Since both the Journey and Quest are ideally configured for docking in Bermuda (St. George & Hamilton), I wouldn't be surprised if one of them returns to Bermuda runs in the future. Too popular a market to ignore.

I wouldn't get your hopes up as they already show the 2008 schedule with nothing in Bermuda and both ships not in the US.

If you look at the prices they are asking in the order of $250.00 per person per day for an inside cabin. That puts an inside cabin at $3500.00 for a week in Bermuda which I don't think anybody would be willing to pay for such a tiny (150 sq. ft.) room.

If these two ships are to compete with Oceania they will have to deploy to exotic destinations that are fairly port intensive and not do the Bermuda Hotel run.

Perhaps pulling in one of the older RCCL ships into the Celebrity fold would make more sense. Or Pullmantur could bring the Zenith back here versus doing the Caribbean runs that it normally did with the ship that Zenith replaced.

I wouldn't get your hopes up as they already show the 2008 schedule with nothing in Bermuda and both ships not in the US.

If you look at the prices they are asking in the order of $250.00 per person per day for an inside cabin. That puts an inside cabin at $3500.00 for a week in Bermuda which I don't think anybody would be willing to pay for such a tiny (150 sq. ft.) room.

If these two ships are to compete with Oceania they will have to deploy to exotic destinations that are fairly port intensive and not do the Bermuda Hotel run.

Perhaps pulling in one of the older RCCL ships into the Celebrity fold would make more sense. Or Pullmantur could bring the Zenith back here versus doing the Caribbean runs that it normally did with the ship that Zenith replaced.

Mistake

You may be right about Journey and Quest not returning to Bermuda. Makes me happy I will get to sample Journey in September before the ship and her prices go out of sight. We only cruise out of New York and when one ship departs our port, there will probably be a new one on the horizon to sample. We had planned to book Bermuda again in October 2008 but since Journey and Norwegian Crown won't be back, I see the Norwegian Jewel will be coming to New York for two 10 day fall foliage cruises to Canada/New England in October 2008. Appreciate all the alternatives sailing out of the Big Apple. Always look forward to another ship with new ports (Charlottestown, P.E.I.), new shows and new menus.

I don't see Bermuda fitting in to Azamara's positioning statement of:

Azamara is the new, deluxe cruise experience for discerning travelers who long to reach out-of-the-ordinary destinations and indulge in amenities and service unparalleled on the high seas.

Bermuda is not so out-of-the-ordinary. As you can see from the new Azamara itineraries, the line seems to focus on the paths less travelled.

I think the chance is greater of Celebrity aquiring a smaller ship for the Bermuda run.

I don't see Bermuda fitting in to Azamara's positioning statement of:

Azamara is the new, deluxe cruise experience for discerning travelers who long to reach out-of-the-ordinary destinations and indulge in amenities and service unparalleled on the high seas.

Bermuda is not so out-of-the-ordinary. As you can see from the new Azamara itineraries, the line seems to focus on the paths less travelled.

I think the chance is greater of Celebrity aquiring a smaller ship for the Bermuda run.

What smaller ships are still available for Celebrity to acquire? Most cruise lines are getting rid of their smaller ships. To my knowledge, nobody is ordering new smaller ships. Everybody seems to be up-sizing.

What smaller ships are still available for Celebrity to acquire? Most cruise lines are getting rid of their smaller ships. To my knowledge, nobody is ordering new smaller ships. Everybody seems to be up-sizing.

Hi Dolphins !

I agree. There arent any Journey / Quest size ships left to acquire at this point. The only way Celebrity (and probably not Azamara) gets back into Bermuda is in Summer 2009.... and not before, as Celebrity's schedule is complete through April 2009. The only ships that make any sense for Bermuda is any of Celebrity's Century Class ships, and those are a bit too big.

The funny thing is, even if Celebrity wants to get back into Bermuda in 2009 or beyond... I feel their slots will be lost to the competition. Add it all up, and Celebrity/Azamara probably wont be seeing Bermuda for the forseeable future.

Another thought ? I have a feeling that Royal Caribbean will be looking to move out of their Vision Class ships in the next 1-4 years. Perhaps some of those ships will find their way to any combination of Celebrity/Azamara/Pullmantur. Time will tell.

Hi Dolphins !

I agree. There arent any Journey / Quest size ships left to acquire at this point. The only way Celebrity (and probably not Azamara) gets back into Bermuda is in Summer 2009.... and not before, as Celebrity's schedule is complete through April 2009. The only ships that make any sense for Bermuda is any of Celebrity's Century Class ships, and those are a bit too big.

The funny thing is, even if Celebrity wants to get back into Bermuda in 2009 or beyond... I feel their slots will be lost to the competition. Add it all up, and Celebrity/Azamara probably wont be seeing Bermuda for the forseeable future.

Another thought ? I have a feeling that Royal Caribbean will be looking to move out of their Vision Class ships in the next 1-4 years. Perhaps some of those ships will find their way to any combination of Celebrity/Azamara/Pullmantur. Time will tell.

Hi Andy:

As far as small ships I think the SS Minow is available but has lately only done three hour cruises...

I first went to Bermuda in 1997 on my honeymoon (by air) and fell in love with it..since then, have re-visited four times on the Zenith..so it is bittersweet that my August trip on the Journey may be the last time I'll go there with Celebrity..each cruise was wonderful..pampered by a great staff, and meeting such friendly cruisemates..and never tiring of the Island..and so convenient since I live in NYC..I hope someday Celebrity returns..I guess it was a pragmatic business decision...

Harry

I fell in love with Bermuda a bit earlier when I went there when I was in college. Always wanted to return and finally did many years later with my husband for an anniversary cruise.

As we knew nothing about cruising at the time, by proper alignment of the stars or "dumb luck", we happened upon Celebrity and the Zenith. We found we loved cruising and returned to Bermuda 6 years in a row on the Zenith. Everything about the ship was right for us. We don't need climbing walls, shopping malls, etc. We liked the size of the ship as you could get to know people or remain annonymous if you wanted to.

There seemed to be a number of things about the Journey that didn't seem to be the right "fit" for us. We like dining with the same people every night and getting to know them. I tried freestyle dining on another cruise line this winter and did not like it for reasons I won't go into here. We're Baby Boomers and enjoy a good Motown band, or the likes, to " kick up our heels".

Bottom line is, we're trying RCCL's Empress of the Seas this year. It seems to be comparable in size to the Zenith and since it leaves out of Phila., will be convenient for us. If we find we like it, too bad, as it too will be going to Pulmantur next year.

As you said, it was probably a pragmatic business decision but there's a class of people that Celebrity is ignoring. People that don't want a ship with all the bells and whistle's but want a ship with a certain level of service and sophistication but not necessarily to the degree of the Journey.

With ships getting larger and larger, they will not be able to get into Bermuda ports. Bermuda itself is considering making a cruise terminal solely at the dockyards to accommodate the large ships, which is a VERY inconvenient location.

Some people are saying, "get over Celebrity and get on with the new", and are looking forward to something different. Good for them, but it's not what I'm looking for so I hope they understand and respond in kind.

I would agree that King's Wharf at the Naval dockyard is a very inconvenient location for a cruise terminal. It is at the extreme west end of the island, away from all the major attractions. There is only one two lane road going there and gridlock would be inevitable if mega ships docked there for more than one day.

A more ideal location might be expanding the former Devonshire Dock on the north coast of Bermuda, originally used by the Royal Navy? It is in the middle of the island and close to most of the major attractions including Hamilton.

Archived