Victoria - Alaska Cruises

SDHALFAN

Okay, now we are getting reviews/reports from the early cruisers on the Alaska run. It seems as though a lot of the ships don't even get into port in Victoria before 6:00 p.m. so my questions are: what is there to do in Victoria after 6:00 p.m. Is it even worth getting off the ship? Is the Museum still open at that hour? Are any shops open? Is Chinatown a hub of activity, etc.?

I will be on the Amsterdam and we will be in Victoria on Thursday, August 2nd.

Thanks for any input.

Valerie:)

Here is some activities you can join in on when your in Victoria. It stay light up there until around 10pm. My suggestion would be to do Butchard Gardens, well worth the trip, it will blow your mind if you like flowers and even if you don't... but do remember to eat, because you will miss dinner and there won't be much on the ship that late to part take in........

A Taste of Victoria:

City Lights, Wine & Chocolate

Ale Trail & Pub Tour

Butchart Gardens & Short City Drive

Enchanting Butchart Gardens

Grand City Drive & Empress High Tea

Orca Whale Watching by Day

Orca Whale Watching by Evening

Victoria Highlights

Victoria Highlights & Craigdarroch Castle

Victoria by Horse-Drawn Trolley

There are several active threads on the Alaska board about Victoria.

We arrive there at 6 and are taking a taxi to Butchart Gardens. Then, we are booked for a late dinner in town and will walk around and explore til time to leave. Victoria is lovely, easy to walk and a nice way to wrap up an Alaska cruise.

I did the Butchart Gardens last week. Very beautiful. Nice romantic way to end the cruise. I will put a link to my pictures from my cruise below (the last 25 or so are from Butchart Gardens).

Enjoy your cruise.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1&Uc=pcy1v8w.40g8mvac&Uy=-glu9gf&Ux=0

Thanks so much for your speedy replies. This will not be my first visit to beautiful Victoria and I have already "done" just about everything mentioned (Butchart Gardens - three times already, and I agree: the Gardens are gorgeous).

Thanks Caviargal - I'll head over to the Alaska board and check that out.

I did the Butchart Gardens last week. Very beautiful. Nice romantic way to end the cruise. I will put a link to my pictures from my cruise below (the last 25 or so are from Butchart Gardens).

Enjoy your cruise.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1&Uc=pcy1v8w.40g8mvac&Uy=-glu9gf&Ux=0

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are great pix. We'll be on Princess in June to Alaska and just can't wait.

That's too bad. You missed out on a truly lovely and distinctive town.

I have to agree here with Stevesan. Victoria is indeed a truly lovely and distinctive town. I love the "Englishness" of it (reminds me of "home") and it has one of the most interesting museums I've ever visited. I also had a wonderful time on one of our visits there, believe it or not, when we sort of fell into a tour of the Parliament Buildings. Now that was a really interesting experience and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I also have great memories of eating at The Captain's Palace (that was back in 1986) and having had the best Rum Punch followed by a wonderful dinner; and then next day having a crab sandwich that was truly spilling over with fresh crab, for lunch, and it was superb. Of course, there is still that chocolate shop I mentioned before - Wow, great chocolates, almost as good as Sees Chocolates:cool: .

I'm a little disgusted though since the museum has an ongoing Titanic exhibition and I was really looking forward to visiting that - bummer, we dock at around 6:00 p.m. and the museum closes at 5:00 p.m. - "PPP" on HAL's part;) .

Oh well, thanks for all the input and I will probably get off the ship and just stroll around the area for a while before getting back onboard knowing that the next morning my cruise will be over, but I can't leave beautiful Canada without a token visit to one of its Jewels - Victoria.

I flew into Victoria for a long weekend a few years back. It was a great town to walk about and explore.

I purchase some great buttons and handmade lace from a small shop. I had tea at a small shop nearby.

I also had the best whale trip ever in Victoria (how many people can say that they saw a whale take a seal down live and up close??).

The gardens were great, I just like walking about in the small shops near the harbor. The people were great also.

Enjoy your cruise.

Dear Gonzo (and/or Jen):

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures from the cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Looks like you two had a great time.

Christy

Archived