Iguassu Falls to Sao Paulo (Santos) Cruise Terminal?

chrob

I am confused as to where the Royal Caribbean cruise terminal known as Sao Paulo (Santos) is.

Is it closer to Sao Paulo or to Rio de Janerio?

Which is the best airport to fly into from Iguassu Falls when boarding a Royal Caribbean ship in Sao Paulo (Santos)?

Also can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay in that is close to the port the night before a cruise?

I am confused as to where the Royal Caribbean cruise terminal known as Sao Paulo (Santos) is.

Is it closer to Sao Paulo or to Rio de Janerio?

Which is the best airport to fly into from Iguassu Falls when boarding a Royal Caribbean ship in Sao Paulo (Santos)?

Also can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay in that is close to the port the night before a cruise?

Sao Paulo is not a sea port. It lays about 750 m from the sea level and about 60 km from the city of São Paulo.

From Iguassu you wil probably arrive at Congonhas airport (domestic airport), which is downtown São Paulo.

São Paulo has a great choice of hotels, (*, **, ***, ****, *****). What style do you prefer: American (Marriot, Hyat, etc) or European (Mercure, Novotel, Ibis, etc)?

Santos has less choice for hotels. The best is Parque Balneario. Another choice is staying in the close beach of Guarujá which has more choices (Casa Grande).

A taxi transfer from Sao Paulo to the port costs about US$ 75 and takes about 1 hour. Most cruise lines offers bus transfers from São Paulo (usually from the airports) to Santos.

Any other questions?

Wotan (an american living in Sao Paulo for years!)

Wotan - We're going on a cruise that leaves from Santos Nov 29. We will be at the port of Itajai for 2 days/nights for the purpose of having an excursion to the Falls. None of the excursions have been posted yet but I know they will be charging big bucks for this excursion.

We will be flying into and out of Sao Paulo. I am wondering if this is something we can do on our own post-cruise out of Sao Paulo. For example instead of flying back to the states on Dec 11 we would just book a flight from the domestic airport in SP, spend one or two nights at the Falls and then fly back to SP (domestic airport) and then fly out that night from the International Airport. Would it make more sense to book this portion of the trip through a local SP travel agency? I am assuming two nights at the Falls would ensure that we would be able to take full advantage of what is offered there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Wotan

We are flying into Rio from Manchester (UK) and staying for the last 2 nights of the Rio Carnival and am now looking at booking a flight from Rio to Iguassu Falls for three nights before flying to Sao Paulo on the 9th Feb to pick up the Splendour of the Seas on the 10th Feb at Santos.

If we fly into Congonhas how far is it to Santos and how long would it take in a taxi? Any idea on cost?

Also how far is it from the port if we stayed in Guaruja?

We prefer hotels like the Marriott/ Sheraton/ Hyatt etc. We would like to be as close to the port as possible so where would you recommend?

Wotan - We're going on a cruise that leaves from Santos Nov 29. We will be at the port of Itajai for 2 days/nights for the purpose of having an excursion to the Falls. None of the excursions have been posted yet but I know they will be charging big bucks for this excursion.

We will be flying into and out of Sao Paulo. I am wondering if this is something we can do on our own post-cruise out of Sao Paulo. For example instead of flying back to the states on Dec 11 we would just book a flight from the domestic airport in SP, spend one or two nights at the Falls and then fly back to SP (domestic airport) and then fly out that night from the International Airport. Would it make more sense to book this portion of the trip through a local SP travel agency? I am assuming two nights at the Falls would ensure that we would be able to take full advantage of what is offered there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My sugestion is a pos-cruise to Iguassu. You should consider two full days at the Falls (one day to the brazilian side and the other in Argentina), which means 3 nights!. As you have an international flight, you could buy domestic air pass (availabe only outside Brazil and sold together with international flight ticket). A good travel agency in your country would be better. I'll check prices for Iguassu packages and let you known in a few day.

Thanks Wotan

We are flying into Rio from Manchester (UK) and staying for the last 2 nights of the Rio Carnival and am now looking at booking a flight from Rio to Iguassu Falls for three nights before flying to Sao Paulo on the 9th Feb to pick up the Splendour of the Seas on the 10th Feb at Santos.

If we fly into Congonhas how far is it to Santos and how long would it take in a taxi? Any idea on cost?

Also how far is it from the port if we stayed in Guaruja?

We prefer hotels like the Marriott/ Sheraton/ Hyatt etc. We would like to be as close to the port as possible so where would you recommend?

Please refer to my reply to cujosmon about Iguassu.

A taxi from Congonhas to Santos (about 60 km) will take about 1 hour and will cost US$ 75 (I paid this fee last February!)

Guarujá is a island next to Santos and to go to Santos and to the port you should take a short crossing on a car ferry. Depending of the traffic will take about 30\45 minutes. I have no idea how much a taxi will cost.

As for hotels in São Paulo, I suggest: Intercontinental, Renaissence or BlueTree, located in the city center and close to the best restaurants and shopping area. Hilton and Hyatt are located in business quarters. In Santos the best is Parque Balneario, which is in front of the beach and about 15 minutes from the terminal by taxi.

My sugestion is a pos-cruise to Iguassu. You should consider two full days at the Falls (one day to the brazilian side and the other in Argentina), which means 3 nights!. As you have an international flight, you could buy domestic air pass (availabe only outside Brazil and sold together with international flight ticket). A good travel agency in your country would be better. I'll check prices for Iguassu packages and let you known in a few day

Wotan - Thank you for being so helpful.

Wotan: Our cruise ends in Santos and our plane departs later that night from GRU (I believe that is not Congatas). How far is port from GRU and approx cost? Are taxis available at the posr? Since we arrive early but do not fly out until that night, we were thinking of hiring someone for the day to give us a tour and then drop us off at the airport. Any recommendations? thanks

Wotan: Our cruise ends in Santos and our plane departs later that night from GRU (I believe that is not Congatas). How far is port from GRU and approx cost? Are taxis available at the posr? Since we arrive early but do not fly out until that night, we were thinking of hiring someone for the day to give us a tour and then drop us off at the airport. Any recommendations? thanks

GRU is about 80 km from Santos, and takes (depending of the traffic) 1.30 hour. Yes, taxis are available at the port. A taxi ride to the city of Sao Paulo costed me last February US$ 75. My guess is that to GRU about US$100. You may negatiate with the driver to make a city in São Paulo before going to GRU. Some cruise lines offers a combined excursion: City tour in Sao Paulo and transfer to GRU or Congonhas. You may check with yours. (Costa always offers).

My sugestion is a pos-cruise to Iguassu. You should consider two full days at the Falls (one day to the brazilian side and the other in Argentina), which means 3 nights!. As you have an international flight, you could buy domestic air pass (availabe only outside Brazil and sold together with international flight ticket). A good travel agency in your country would be better. I'll check prices for Iguassu packages and let you known in a few day.

I have called some travel agencies to get prices. All packages available are for 4 days (3 nights) with transfer in/out from the airport, tour to the brazilian side and a tour to Itaipu dam (the largest in SA), breakfast included. Hotel Cataratas, a 5* inside the national park in front of the falls: about US$ 800 per person. Hotel Bourbon, a resort, near the entrance of the park, about US$ 400/500 per person. Better prices are for hotels downtown the city of Iguassu.

Archived