Majestic or Excelsior in Rome???

We will be spending two days and one night in Rome pre-cruise and are trying to decide between the Majestic and the Excelsior. Probably can't go wrong with either, but any thoughts or other suggestions would be welcomed.

We do want to stay on/near the Via Vanetto.

Thanks again

Marsha

We love the Hassler. It is really the best hotel in Rome. It is expensive, but for one night in such a magnificent city you might want to treat yourself.

Why not try the Cavalieri Hilton. I know it is not in the centre, but they have a complimentary shuttle bus that runs all day and will take you to the Via Veneto in 20 mins. The Hilton is beautifully situated on top of a hill with a breathtaking view of the city. The rooms are large, well air conditioned and quiet. The restaurants - both the "normal" one and the roof top one - are great and we had the best breakfast buffet ever there last November.

We just got back from Rome a couple days ago and fully appreciated the Inn at the Roman Forum.

It is a boutique hotel with only 13 rooms. So, if you are looking for a hotel with grand lobby and on-site restaurant, this might not be the hotel for you. However, if you want to spend a (few) night(s) in Rome in an intimate, well appointed, fantastic place, this is it.

None of the 13 rooms are identical. Ours was an Executive Suite (upgraded by the hotel). The room was large and beautiful with huge, king-sized four-poster bed, flat-screen TV, IPOD docking station and nice sitting area. The bathroom was nice sized with jacuzzi tub.

On the roof/terrace, you'll find the lounge and two outdoor spaces. One is an intimate courtyard and the other is a patio terrace which overlooks the Roman Forum. Between 5-8 pm, the hotel has complimentary snacks on the terrace. In the morning, complimentary breakfast is served.

As for location, you can measure the distance from the Inn to the Forum of August in steps. The Colesseum is only a 5-10 minute walk and Piazza Bernini is 10-15 minutes away. However, you don't even have to leave the property to see 2000 year-old relics as on the property itself is a cryptoporticus from the Trajan market. The staff will eagerly show you through the door behind the front desk which leads you back to the times before Christ.

Speaking of the staff, they are all courteous and helpful. They eargerly made all of our dinner reservations as well as reservations to the Borghese Museum (which is a MUST DO!!!)

Reviews on a leading trip advisor ;) website have all been very postive since the hotel opened a little over a year ago. In fact, in the first 10 reviews you'll find, the hotel has received nothing but "5.0"'s. Once I get around to it, there will be another "5.0" posted.

If ancient Rome isn't your thing and you really want to be closer to Via Venetto, the Inn at the Roman Forum has a sister hotel, the Inn at the Spanish Steps. We didn't visit it, although guests are invited for evening snacks at either venue. However, if it is anything similar it will be a wonderful experience as well.

One word of note, the Inn at the Roman Forum can be difficult to find. It is on a small steet off of Via Tor de Conti and only has a brass plate on the door that marks its presence. However, it is worth finding. In my opinion, other larger hotels are a nice place to stay. However, The Inn at the Roman Forum is a great place to experience.

v/r

Jan

We stayed at the Excelsior. It was perfect walking distance to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and is off the Via Veneto. The Hassler, Bernini Bristol and Eden are all nice properties. If I had only one day in Rome, I would be happy to stay there if I were just spending a day walking to see the nearby sites.

We arrive the morning of Aug. 17th for 1 night [pre-cruise]. Having been to rome more than once in the past and done all the regular stuff, I think we want to spend some tome brousing on the Via Veneta, see the Borgesi Gardens and perhaps buy tickets on the hop-on-hop-off bus which we have also done in the past. It's a great way to re-visit a city you have already spent time exploring. This time we juPst hop-on & off in areas and neighborhoods that seem interesting. Maybe see the Peggy Gugenheim.

The Plan....spend the day in Rome as any couple wanting to get out and enjoy the day together. [hope we can put off having a screaming fight until dinner.....Who knows, we don't have to get home to walk the dog, we might even fall into a great restarant.

Anyway you now know the deep innerworkings of my mind

Really getting excited not. We are starting to pack up our Winter home and return to chicago...

night now

Marsha

Archived