Rhapsody gone!! Whats next???

Our family will never sail a Voyager Class ship. We have tried Grand Princess and Carnival Conquest, and felt crowded galore. I am totally not into the crowd seen, and ports seem to be such a nightmare. The Rhasody was the perfect ship for us, we are just so sad to see it go :( We tried the similar ship Grandeur a few years before but didn't have quite the Wow factor we felt with Rhapsody. I guess we will just have to follow the smaller ships around, but the Orient is just too far. I am with you Nitra, if all we have are the Mega ships, I will just have find some good all inclusives instead :) If we are signing anything, please let me know.

We felt the same way, until we cruised on the Navigator...talk about WOW factor! It was a memorable cruise. We're already booked on the Voyager. You're going to be missing out...

LL

Our family will never sail a Voyager Class ship. We have tried Grand Princess and Carnival Conquest, and felt crowded galore. I am totally not into the crowd seen, and ports seem to be such a nightmare. The Rhasody was the perfect ship for us, we are just so sad to see it go :( We tried the similar ship Grandeur a few years before but didn't have quite the Wow factor we felt with Rhapsody. I guess we will just have to follow the smaller ships around, but the Orient is just too far. I am with you Nitra, if all we have are the Mega ships, I will just have find some good all inclusives instead :) If we are signing anything, please let me know.

Have you ever sailed on a Voyager class ship?

If not, how can you possibly understand what you are talking about?

I mean no offense, but I kind of had the same opinion as you till I tried it for myself......absolutely incredible!!!!

We are headed on the Rapsody Sunday. I will make a point to check with the Loyalty Amb. about the schedule after Alaska. It was to be NOLA. (As per the L.A. at spring break.) They have a list of schedules way in advance of what the web site shows. I will say again that putting Rapsody in NOLA instead of Galveston is kind of an ugly move. Seems like they are avoiding the port. I would love to know the real reason.

I will post as soon as I know the answer.

1. Lower cruise air income because all Texans can drive to the port :confused: ;

2. lower alcohol income because all Texans smuggle booze :D ;

3. lower average fares because of the soft Caribbean market and limited itinerary options... :cool:

Hmmm.... Maybe that's why Tampa, Galveston and New Orleans are going to be begging for ships in the next few years???

Just an observation... Don't get mad, Bevo...we loved Rhapsody, too.

LL

I can counter those -

more folks drive to Miami to cruise, think of all the Florida/Georgia/and others that drive instead of fly. I read all the time of those driving to Florida to board a ship.

More ships = more folks driving

2) Texans are not the only people going out of Galveston, actually if you read, more non texans smuggle than texans or at least talk about it. The bar waiters/tenders told me they love Texans cause we drink and we tip well. (not saying others dont but dont lump all texans into booze smugglers) Heck could be all those from OK driving down that are doing the smuggling :D

I read and most of those that are trying to figure out how to smuggle are going out of Florida ports. So really there are more smuggling booze out of Florida than Texas. Now Texans do drink a lot of beer, never understood why, beer has a lower profit margin than booze, so I will concede to that.

3) All the Caribbean is soft right now from what I have read. Europe is hot, people beg daily on here for new exciting ports, the cruiselines move the ships, and we still are not happy. People want new Caribbean ports, when there are ships going to the ports they want, just not the ship or line they want to sail there. It is just too hard to keep everyone happy. It is all about supply and demand, there are too many ships in the Caribbean, creating too much supply, driving down pricing and profits, so move the ships and make more money. They are keeping a selection of the larger ships around but again, not all of us like them.

Houston is building a new state of the art terminal, I say wait and watch. Why commit to Galveston, which is harder to get to, less hotel space, ugly port area, when there is a new beautiful state of the art facility going up just up the coast? Why not pull out and wait instead of making another 5 yr commitment to Galveston? Just put something here part of the year to keep your contract terms, then when it is up, the new terminal will be open and you are in a position to place a ship there since your commitment is over in Galveston. Makes good business sense to me.

We are headed on the Rapsody Sunday. I will make a point to check with the Loyalty Amb. about the schedule after Alaska. It was to be NOLA. (As per the L.A. at spring break.) They have a list of schedules way in advance of what the web site shows. I will say again that putting Rapsody in NOLA instead of Galveston is kind of an ugly move. Seems like they are avoiding the port. I would love to know the real reason.

Makes no sense, if it was to be March 08, they would move her back thru the canal in March? then take her back to Alaska for the season? AND why would spring break of 08 not be on sail at this time? On the cruise calendar on their website it shows Rhapsody in Asia until the end of April except for 1/2 of March in the Caribbean, then back to Asia. I think someone has not been paying attention. Logistically that makes no sense. UNLESS someone has it chartered but that is a long way to bring her back just to charter her.

Have you ever sailed on a Voyager class ship?

If not, how can you possibly understand what you are talking about?

I mean no offense, but I kind of had the same opinion as you till I tried it for myself......absolutely incredible!!!!

I have sailed it and didnt like it. I found nothing incredible about it and I was looking forward to going. Glad I did so now I know I have no desire to go back.

She stated she has sailed larger ships and didnt like them. Big ships are not for everyone.

It is okay for someone to say they dont want to try it, it is not wrong.

Nitra, I think you misunderstood what I was told. I was on the Splendour spring break. The L.A. showed the Rapsody headed to Asia and then Alaska (That was the first I had heard of what was after Asia) and then was to go to NOLA. I say again, I will check and see if that is still the plan. The L.A. can see where the ships are headed, long before they are posted for booking. It is always a great way to sneak a peak at what is comming.

Nitra, I think you misunderstood what I was told. I was on the Splendour spring break. The L.A. showed the Rapsody headed to Asia and then Alaska (That was the first I had heard of what was after Asia) and then was to go to NOLA. I say again, I will check and see if that is still the plan. The L.A. can see where the ships are headed, long before they are posted for booking. It is always a great way to sneak a peak at what is comming.

AWW okay, I thought it made no sense.. LOL Heck instead of taking her to NOLA, bring her back here and let the Voyager go to NOLA!

Not sure if Maryann is still the LA on board, she was a few weeks ago but she was going on vacation soon. She is a sweet lady. She was so busy when we were on there we never had much time to talk to her.

Thanks Nitra. The LA's really do stay busy that is for sure. I will also check to see if they know anything about the new Bayport terminal, but just a guess, either new ship for Norwiegen or Princess. Rumors have long swirled about a Radience class to the area, but has never paned out.

Here's my two cents worth ... we live in Houston and recently returned to cruising after a 20-year absence: July 2005, Rhapsody of the Seas, followed by July 2006, Freedom of the Seas (just had to experience it), and April 2007, Splendour of the Seas. Two trips out of Galveston, one out of Miami. I vote for sailing out of Galveston/Houston hands-down, less stress and hassle-free. It was a major chore to fly, lug the bags, spend the night pre-cruise, lug the bags, keep up with 4 teenage girls, lug the bags, etc., etc. We were exhausted by the time we got home. While we enjoyed the Rhapsody, we absolutely loved the Splendour. Maybe it's because we didn't have kids with us? Probably. Anyway, its disappointing that RCCL doesn't have any long term plans to sail out of Houston/Galveston after April 2008. Our other beef, though, with sailings out of Galveston is that they all go to the Western Caribbean. Do the Florida ports have exclusive rights to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean?

check out the West Coast Cruisers I got good news thread. Someone quoted their TA as saying that after ALaska Rhapsody will nome port out of NOLA. THAT $UCK$, but at least we can get to NOLA. why????

I can counter those -

more folks drive to Miami to cruise, think of all the Florida/Georgia/and others that drive instead of fly. I read all the time of those driving to Florida to board a ship.

More ships = more folks driving

2) Texans are not the only people going out of Galveston, actually if you read, more non texans smuggle than texans or at least talk about it. The bar waiters/tenders told me they love Texans cause we drink and we tip well. (not saying others dont but dont lump all texans into booze smugglers) Heck could be all those from OK driving down that are doing the smuggling :D

we're just smarter than to ask and confess on the threads?????

I read and most of those that are trying to figure out how to smuggle are going out of Florida ports. So really there are more smuggling booze out of Florida than Texas. Now Texans do drink a lot of beer, never understood why, beer has a lower profit margin than booze, so I will concede to that.

3) All the Caribbean is soft right now from what I have read. Europe is hot, people beg daily on here for new exciting ports, the cruiselines move the ships, and we still are not happy. People want new Caribbean ports, when there are ships going to the ports they want, just not the ship or line they want to sail there. It is just too hard to keep everyone happy. It is all about supply and demand, there are too many ships in the Caribbean, creating too much supply, driving down pricing and profits, so move the ships and make more money. They are keeping a selection of the larger ships around but again, not all of us like them.

Houston is building a new state of the art terminal, I say wait and watch. Why commit to Galveston, which is harder to get to, less hotel space, ugly port area, when there is a new beautiful state of the art facility going up just up the coast? Why not pull out and wait instead of making another 5 yr commitment to Galveston? Just put something here part of the year to keep your contract terms, then when it is up, the new terminal will be open and you are in a position to place a ship there since your commitment is over in Galveston. Makes good business sense to me.

makes good sense, hope you are right.

see above--that LA was apparently right!!!

Thanks Nitra. The LA's really do stay busy that is for sure. I will also check to see if they know anything about the new Bayport terminal, but just a guess, either new ship for Norwiegen or Princess. Rumors have long swirled about a Radience class to the area, but has never paned out.

I read that rumor about RAdiance class before going on 1 of the crusies this year and asked the LA and he grinned and said that that would be a very good rumor. Not sure waht that means. I was hoping that when the new itineraries came out we would have gotten a [nother ship--NOPE!

Here's my two cents worth ... we live in Houston and recently returned to cruising after a 20-year absence: July 2005, Rhapsody of the Seas, followed by July 2006, Freedom of the Seas (just had to experience it), and April 2007, Splendour of the Seas. Two trips out of Galveston, one out of Miami. I vote for sailing out of Galveston/Houston hands-down, less stress and hassle-free. It was a major chore to fly, lug the bags, spend the night pre-cruise, lug the bags, keep up with 4 teenage girls, lug the bags, etc., etc. We were exhausted by the time we got home. While we enjoyed the Rhapsody, we absolutely loved the Splendour. Maybe it's because we didn't have kids with us? Probably. Anyway, its disappointing that RCCL doesn't have any long term plans to sail out of Houston/Galveston after April 2008. Our other beef, though, with sailings out of Galveston is that they all go to the Western Caribbean. Do the Florida ports have exclusive rights to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean?

I HATE going out of Miami-... I think the reason we don't do eastern out of Galveston is how far it is--soooooooooooo put a ship in Glaveston and do 10 nighters and do eastern carib. I don't mean to complain, but Cozumel--what is with that, you can't go anywhere without going to Cozumel!!! We are going on our first TA--Barcelona to Galveston--bringing the Voyager in--we go to Cozumel!!!! :rolleyes: oh well, I still like going out of Galveston--hey or Houston, I wouldn't even mind Corpus, heard that rumor too. Just not having to fly is really reallly nice.

Hi everyone! This is what I saw for the Rhapsody. I like the smaller ships also, enjoyed the Vision of the Seas ( sister ship) How to see some of you on the Rhaps I'm sailing July 29,2007

ALASKA

May 23, May 30, Jun 6, Jun 13, Jun 20, Jun 27, Jul 4, Jul 11. Jul 18, Jul 25, Aug 1, Aug 8. 15, Aug 22, Aug 29, Sept 5, Sep 12, 2008 Leaving from Seattle, WA Royal Caribbean / Rhapsody of the Seas

ASIA/FAR EAST

Singapore Jan 3, Hong Kong Jan 15, Jan 27, Shanghai April 23, Apr 30, All 2008

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND

Oct 27, Nov 10 Sydney, Australia 2007

CARIBBEAN

Jun 10, Jun 24, Jul 1, Jul 8, Jul 15, Jul 22, Jul 29. Aug 5, Aug 19, 2007 Galveston, TX

HAWAII

Sep 18 Ensenada, Mexico

MEXICO/CENTRAL AMERICA 800-419-5104

Jun 3, Jun 17, Jul 1, Jul 15, Jul 29, Aug 12, Aug 26, 2007 Galveston, TX

PANAMA CANAL

Sep 2 Galveston, TX

Hi everyone! This is what I saw for the Rhapsody. I like the smaller ships also, enjoyed the Vision of the Seas ( sister ship) How to see some of you on the Rhaps I'm sailing July 29,2007

ALASKA

May 23, May 30, Jun 6, Jun 13, Jun 20, Jun 27, Jul 4, Jul 11. Jul 18, Jul 25, Aug 1, Aug 8. 15, Aug 22, Aug 29, Sept 5, Sep 12, 2008 Leaving from Seattle, WA Royal Caribbean / Rhapsody of the Seas

ASIA/FAR EAST

Singapore Jan 3, Hong Kong Jan 15, Jan 27, Shanghai April 23, Apr 30, All 2008

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND

Oct 27, Nov 10 Sydney, Australia 2007

CARIBBEAN

Jun 10, Jun 24, Jul 1, Jul 8, Jul 15, Jul 22, Jul 29. Aug 5, Aug 19, 2007 Galveston, TX

HAWAII

Sep 18 Ensenada, Mexico

MEXICO/CENTRAL AMERICA 800-419-5104

Jun 3, Jun 17, Jul 1, Jul 15, Jul 29, Aug 12, Aug 26, 2007 Galveston, TX

PANAMA CANAL

Sep 2 Galveston, TX

what they are posting on the west coasters thread is that there will be announcements this weekend at the cruise-a-thon event in Seattle. We shall see.

I say we fight for the Rhapsody by starting an email campaign to corporate. It is never too late to change schedules.. or maybe get her back at least.

On May 28th, I sent an email to Richard Fain, outlining my disappointment with the redeployment of the Rhapsody of the Seas. I received a response this morning from Joan Bernheimer, Sr. Executive Representative. Here is what she wrote:

"Thank you for your inquiry through the Internet to our corporate office regarding the redeployment of the Rhapsody of the Seas. Mr. Richard Fain was pleased to hear from you and has asked that I respond on his behalf. As a Crown & Anchor Society member, we especially value your patronage of Royal Caribbean International and appreciate this opportunity to address your concerns.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts concerning the Voyager of the Seas replacing the Rhapsody of the Seas in the port of Galveston. Please be assured that we are continually evaluating our product, services and the preferences of our guests to ensure that we continue at the forefront of the cruise industry. Nevertheless, we genuinely apologize for any disappointment as a result of this change.

Thank you once again; we appreciated hearing from you. We wish you all the best and truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back onboard another cruise in the future."

Sincerely,

Joan Bernheimer

Sr. Executive Representative

So, I guess since they are continually evaluating their product, services and the preferences of their guests, this means that anything can change. Personally, I doubt they will change their decisions about the Rhapsody.

Fausto

1. Lower cruise air income because all Texans can drive to the port :confused: ;

2. lower alcohol income because all Texans smuggle booze :D ;

3. lower average fares because of the soft Caribbean market and limited itinerary options... :cool:

Hmmm.... Maybe that's why Tampa, Galveston and New Orleans are going to be begging for ships in the next few years???

Just an observation... Don't get mad, Bevo...we loved Rhapsody, too.

LL

LL I think you are close on this.........I'm guessing with redeployment to Europe (7 ships isn't it??) I think it came down to revenue generating on the remaining ships and where to deploy those ships. While Rhapsody was always full (we've sailed her twice) it must have one of the lower revenue generating stats for things as you mention, shipboard charges etc.

Now having said that.........I agree also with Brenda.......IF THIS WERE the case........redeploying the Rhapsody to NO makes no sense at all to me (assuming revenue was the number one driving factor) on where to deploy ships.

Wouldn't it be great if RC just came out and said.......THis is WHY?? At least everyone would know what they needed to do to make it more profitable to sail out of Galveston........sometimes things aren't as hard to make out as we make them.........especially if everyone just knew why.

Just can't remember where I read it. I do know it was an article, not a posting. I thought about posting it here, but figured if I was getting it everyone else here would have gotten the info to:(

I also sent an email and received this response:

Thank you for your email and for your loyalty to Royal Caribbean and Rhapsody of the Seas. Although there are many loyal followers of Rhapsody, there is not enough demand on a year-round basis to sustain the ship in the Galveston itinerary compared to other itineraries. We regret that will not be in Galveston on a year-round basis but we are very pleased to be able to bring Voyager of the Seas to Galveston this coming winter.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

It wasn't the response I wanted but it was a response.

I also sent an email and received this response:

Thank you for your email and for your loyalty to Royal Caribbean and Rhapsody of the Seas. Although there are many loyal followers of Rhapsody, there is not enough demand on a year-round basis to sustain the ship in the Galveston itinerary compared to other itineraries. We regret that will not be in Galveston on a year-round basis but we are very pleased to be able to bring Voyager of the Seas to Galveston this coming winter.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

It wasn't the response I wanted but it was a response.

But Rhapsody sails full year round. I just don't get it.

Folks it is a standard business reply without saying anything........they know why, trust me they know why the decision was made.......they just aren't saying which is why it is frustrating to everyone.

Notice the last line of the 2009 deployment changes.

It's not Galveston, but Rhapsody will be closer than Asia!

I’ve been telling you to expect RCI to announce a major shuffling of their ships in 2009, and most of you might have heard the rumor that the Mariner of the Seas will be coming to the port of LA in 2009.

I can confirm this information is in fact CORRECT. RCI will be making a formal announcement with the 2009 deployment this weekend at Cruise-A-Thon in Seattle.

Some of the 2009 deployment changes that are to be announced:

Mariner to sail year round from LA in Spring 2009

Vision to homeport in Santo Domingo in 2009

Legend to homeport in Asia in 2009

Rhapsody to homeport in New Orleans

Other changes will also be announced, including deployment for the Genesis and Independence as well as the other ships in the fleet.

As soon as I have the full information I will send it out to each of you.

Thanks

Archived