Rhapsody gone!! Whats next???

RCI just emailed me an offer to cruise Rhapsody in her new 2008 venue to the far east. So she is going to be doing the pacific. I don't know how NOLA fits in with this when all those cruisings are usually from L.A. or San Diego or Ensenada.

I will miss her too and I have emailed them as well, I haven't even gotten the standard letter like you guys. I even threatened to cruise Carnival and said I didn't want to do that, but no deal Lucille. I emailed C&A too. We just won't be cruising as much cuz flying is expensive and I hate Miami. I would much rather embark the clean waters and city of Galveston.

The copy & Pasted post I made was supposedly part of an email sent out to high volume TAs Several posts of these TA's recieved the same email. It is all over on the West Coast Cruisers thread. Page 6 and beyond. Even Merion-Mom said she got one. Hopefully she will pop in and let us know if it is true.

If I understand it correctly,Rhapsody will finish Asia, do the Alaska season, then homeport in NA in 2009

I'd like to hear the news about New Orleans first hand...

The Grandeur is a sister ship to the Rhapsody and didn't do well on its redeployment to New Orleans post Katrina.

The Conquest came here to Galveston due to the storm and within months Carnival loaded wheelbarrows full of money into the Port of Galveston for the cruise terminals. I'd be surprised if they left that money behind. My bet is the Conquest and Ecstasy are here for a while. The money RCCL loaned the port has been paid back.

RCCL has dumped on New Orleans with the Grandeur moving, dumped on Galveston with a move to partial year cruises (I don't care if the Voyager is coming for a short time) and has no plans for a return. RCCL eliminated the sales manager position that called on Houston and Texas area accounts.

When we sailed the Freedom of the Seas for a two nighter at the invite of RCCL they didn't answer the question about the long term plans for Texas and were not impressed with the delays in the Bayport Cruise Terminal. (Before you ask, I am not a travel agent)

If I had to bet, I will wager that in late 2008 and beyond Bayport will be the place to sail from along the Gulf Coast (hope so, it's about 20 minutes from my driveway).

For the short term we all need to remember that cruise lines are public held companies with shareholders demanding a return. Fuel, labor and the other fixed costs of sailing any vessel away from a dock represents big bucks.

We've enjoyed cheap departures from Galveston since the Celebration came here, and many of us bounced our way to Cozumel and back a few times. What a bathtub that ship was :)

Now the European and Asian markets offer a greater return on the investment and for the short term we will need to drive or fly somewhere else unless we want to see a red funnel while strolling around on deck.

Just my opinion, so if you agree/disagree then step aboard the Rhapsody this Sunday with me and let's talk about it... 74 hours until we sail!

The Grandeur is a sister ship to the Rhapsody and didn't do well on its redeployment to New Orleans post Katrina.

The Conquest came here to Galveston due to the storm and within months Carnival loaded wheelbarrows full of money into the Port of Galveston for the cruise terminals. I'd be surprised if they left that money behind. My bet is the Conquest and Ecstasy are here for a while. The money RCCL loaned the port has been paid back.

RCCL has dumped on New Orleans with the Grandeur moving, dumped on Galveston with a move to partial year cruises (I don't care if the Voyager is coming for a short time) and has no plans for a return. RCCL eliminated the sales manager position that called on Houston and Texas area accounts.

When we sailed the Freedom of the Seas for a two nighter at the invite of RCCL they didn't answer the question about the long term plans for Texas and were not impressed with the delays in the Bayport Cruise Terminal. (Before you ask, I am not a travel agent)

If I had to bet, I will wager that in late 2008 and beyond Bayport will be the place to sail from along the Gulf Coast (hope so, it's about 20 minutes from my driveway).

For the short term we all need to remember that cruise lines are public held companies with shareholders demanding a return. Fuel, labor and the other fixed costs of sailing any vessel away from a dock represents big bucks.

We've enjoyed cheap departures from Galveston since the Celebration came here, and many of us bounced our way to Cozumel and back a few times. What a bathtub that ship was :)

Now the European and Asian markets offer a greater return on the investment and for the short term we will need to drive or fly somewhere else unless we want to see a red funnel while strolling around on deck.

Just my opinion, so if you agree/disagree then step aboard the Rhapsody this Sunday with me and let's talk about it... 74 hours until we sail!

There is supposed to be a public announcment made at somthing called a "cruise-a-thon" in Seattle this weekend.

It make no sense to me either. Why pull one vision class ship from NO only to homeport another one a few years later. I guess it is possible RCI has made some sort of arrangment with NO. I hope Bayport works out. We are one of those okies Nitra was talking about, and would love to drive to Houston over NO. From everything I Have read it seems like it's going to be a beautiful, and very functional terminal.

We sailed on Carnival's Jubilee out of Galveston, talk about a bathtub!:eek:

That was our first and last Carnival cruise.

Huge ditto from me on that

I also heard that the rep for this area wasn't doing anything any longer, that explains that

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, let this be true. You are only 1/4 mile closer than I am.

I just don't want to sail another line, they should think about us Texans down here.

I think I will do just that. Pool, Bar side 3:00:p

Have you ever sailed on a Voyager class ship?

If not, how can you possibly understand what you are talking about?

I mean no offense, but I kind of had the same opinion as you till I tried it for myself......absolutely incredible!!!!

No offense taken. Having sailed Grand Princess and Conquest, I just can't bear spending money on another huge ship for the stated reasons eariler. I have seen enough video footage of the Voyager class of ship to know that it will not be my thing. Looking around at a pool that crowded, no thanks :) and I also can't stand the idea of a "boardwalk" inside a ship, with actual cabins looking down. I know this is probably a huge Wow feature, but to me, it is kind of creepy. Bottom line is we like privacy and no crowds. I like small ships, and I LOVED Rhapsody.

Sailded on the Inspiration, sister Bathtub and I have to say, those little tug boats can leave a lasting impression for a first time cruiser :)! Got us hooked back in 2002 :) We have driven from MN to New Orleans X 3 and Galveston X2 and simply don't know what we will do for cruise #6 in 2009. I hope something comes up other than the Voyager Class of ship :(

On May 28th, I sent an email to Richard Fain, outlining my disappointment with the redeployment of the Rhapsody of the Seas. I received a response this morning from Joan Bernheimer, Sr. Executive Representative. Here is what she wrote:

"Thank you for your inquiry through the Internet to our corporate office regarding the redeployment of the Rhapsody of the Seas. Mr. Richard Fain was pleased to hear from you and has asked that I respond on his behalf. As a Crown & Anchor Society member, we especially value your patronage of Royal Caribbean International and appreciate this opportunity to address your concerns.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts concerning the Voyager of the Seas replacing the Rhapsody of the Seas in the port of Galveston. Please be assured that we are continually evaluating our product, services and the preferences of our guests to ensure that we continue at the forefront of the cruise industry. Nevertheless, we genuinely apologize for any disappointment as a result of this change.

Thank you once again; we appreciated hearing from you. We wish you all the best and truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back onboard another cruise in the future."

Sincerely,

Joan Bernheimer

Sr. Executive Representative

So, I guess since they are continually evaluating their product, services and the preferences of their guests, this means that anything can change. Personally, I doubt they will change their decisions about the Rhapsody.

Fausto

I really need to e-mail also. WE really do need to inundate them!!

LL I think you are close on this.........I'm guessing with redeployment to Europe (7 ships isn't it??) I think it came down to revenue generating on the remaining ships and where to deploy those ships. While Rhapsody was always full (we've sailed her twice) it must have one of the lower revenue generating stats for things as you mention, shipboard charges etc.

Now having said that.........I agree also with Brenda.......IF THIS WERE the case........redeploying the Rhapsody to NO makes no sense at all to me (assuming revenue was the number one driving factor) on where to deploy ships.

Wouldn't it be great if RC just came out and said.......THis is WHY?? At least everyone would know what they needed to do to make it more profitable to sail out of Galveston........sometimes things aren't as hard to make out as we make them.........especially if everyone just knew why.

now Jim, what would we all post about then

But Rhapsody sails full year round. I just don't get it.

yep--doesn't make any sense does it?

Just my opinion, so if you agree/disagree then step aboard the Rhapsody this Sunday with me and let's talk about it... 74 hours until we sail![/quote]

oh how I wish I could

I have never sailed Carnival, I've only been told by lots of friends that Carnival is too much of a pary boat. The large Carnival ship in Galveston is nice but the others are not. People I know loved Carnival until they went on RCI or if they had been on RCI hated Carnival. The actual description I was given was that it was like going from a Hyatt to a Motel 6. I am sure that is overboard but several have said thatl.

I've been on 2 RCI cruises, leaving for the 3rd on Sunday. First was Rhapsody, loved everything about that cruise.

Last was Splendour, loved everything here also but it wasn't Rhapsody. It was still nice, great employees bt something was still different.

I have briefly looked at the Voyager prices. I haven't noticed them much more than Rhapsody but I also usually only vacation in the summer months so I have nothing to compare them too. I also don't know if I'd like that big of a ship.

In a way I feel kind of guilty saying that I don't want to travel for a cruise because so many of you do have to travel. It is just when you literally have ships in your backyard it is hard to swallow them leaving. I'm sure the residents of Miami would feel the same way if they quit pulling out of their port. I just enjoy the fact that I can leave on a weekday cruise but still work until noon, go home, change, load the car & be at the port by 1:30-2:00.

I've also heard that RCI put some money into the Bayport terminal (not sure if this is true) I just can't see them leaving for goodl. I think they are making a mistake. They say they aren't making the money but don't most people travel during summer months? If so, why bring a larger ship for the winter months instead of summer?

What is considered peak season for cruise ships in the WC? I know we have hurricane season but that can't be an excuse, they still sail out of Fl.

Angela,

In March I was on the Carnival Spirit from San Diego to the Mexican Riviera. I have been on 7 cruises in the last 2 1/2 years and that was the best.

Balcony room, 8 day cruise, 185 sq. ft. and 60 sq. ft. balcony and was just beautiful. $649.00

I felt the same way about Carnival until this cruise. Will be going on Voyager of the Seas in December for 15 days. To me any cruise is a great cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap I just got a call from Mr Fain's office..

Mr Weeks called on behalf of Mr Fain. He said a lot of stuff and we had a nice talk. He said they had been getting a lot of mail lately about Rhapsody and Galveston. He said right now they had no plan to put a ship back here year round but that could change.

I asked him about Rhapsody in NOLA and he said that is subject to change at this time. I asked him about Bayport Terminal and he played ignorant, so I brought him up to speed on it and suggested they look at putting a Radiance class there when it opens.

Anyway that is the basics of the conversation, he said he would pass on my comments to Mr Fain. We chatted for about 10 - 15 minutes.

Holy crap I just got a call from Mr Fain's office.
Wow! How cool is that?! :cool:

Okay, I'll admit I didn't think an email/letter-writing campaign would do much good here but you just changed my mind! I'm going to get busy writing!

Looks like we got their attention. Proves they are at least listening.Let's keep it up maybe we can change their minds. It may not bring Rhapsody back, but hopefully they will rethink their plans,about a year round ship in Galveston...or at least Bayport. I would love a Radiance class in Tx. I haven't been on one yet, but seems like a good comprimise between Vision class and Voyager.

Thanks Nitra for sharing with us!

I was a bit surprised too. I thought I would get the blah blah email reply most are getting. I never thought I would get a phone call. He said they are definately getting a lot suddenly.. :D Our voice alone may be small but together we have a big voice.

He did say that the Galveston market has been very lucrative for Royal Caribbean but they had to make a decision based on current market demands and he hoped we could understand. I told him we all understand the business decision of moving a ship to Asia but that did not make us happy they took Rhapsody away.

I am still reeling so trying to remember all we talked about.. LOL

Nitra I was encouraged that they acknowledged that they might bring the Rhapsody to New Orleans. Its still better than going clear to Florida. I dont like the parking which I heard was $14 a day in New Orleans new terminal, but I can get over that too.

Yahoo maps shows it as only a little more than an extra 2 hours drive from Dallas. Seems to me that it is a lot further than that? But its doable driving.

Holy crap I just got a call from Mr Fain's office..

Mr Weeks called on behalf of Mr Fain. He said a lot of stuff and we had a nice talk. He said they had been getting a lot of mail lately about Rhapsody and Galveston. He said right now they had no plan to put a ship back here year round but that could change.

I asked him about Rhapsody in NOLA and he said that is subject to change at this time. I asked him about Bayport Terminal and he played ignorant, so I brought him up to speed on it and suggested they look at putting a Radiance class there when it opens.

Anyway that is the basics of the conversation, he said he would pass on my comments to Mr Fain. We chatted for about 10 - 15 minutes.

you go girl. I need ot e-mail them. need ot go back thru this thread and write down their e-mail addresses.

Facts against Texas in the cruising industry.

1. Most delays for fog.

2. Longest drives from airports. Gasoline prices not helping either.

3. Very soft revenues.

4. Itineraries for a seven day cruise are Western Caribbean only.

5. The Yucatan coast is very hot and humid.

The simple truth is that almost all of the cruiselines reposition their ships per season to earn the most profit and revenues. Carnival is an exception with many year round home ports. People prefer to vacation in cooler climates during the summer and warmer climates during the winter.

NCL used to have a ship sailing out of Houston year round, than it was just during the winter season. Royal Caribbean with cruises worldwide lasted longer. Carnival on the other hand owns several cruise lines with cruises worldwide, therefore Carnival stays home with 7 day cruises on their newer ships and with shorter cruises with their older ships. The shorter cruises are very attractive to the budget cruisers,, underpricing significantly a 7 day cruise. Expecially so when the best port of call is Cozumel and the shorter cruises visits that port.

Celebrity and Princess attempted to sell longer, more expensive cruises and failed. Unfortunately, the airports are too far away to generate nationwide bookings. Shuttle transfers were the most expensive in the USA, and the Houston area is by far the least attractive city in the USA. The Houston are looks, smells, and is the largest petrochemical complex in the world. When fares drop more than half between the summer and winter season, no wonder the cruise lines are repositioning their ships for more profit.

While Carnival Inc. is building up to five new ships a year, less than half are entering Carnivals fleet. Its been said on CC that a good deal for a cruise is less than $100 per day. In the past during the summer and winter months many cruises from Texas have been discounted to less than $70 per day. That is soft.......in any business.

It takes about 10 hours to get to New Orleans from Dallas so it would be an extra 5 hours added to the drive. But you can always get a cheap flight from Southwest to New Orleans usually for only a $100. Which is way cheaper then driving, paying for gas and paying for parking.

1. Most delays for fog. Florida has the most cancellations and delays due to hurricanes, I have never had a cruise delayed due to fog so it cant be that frequent, only know of a few this year this happened to.

2. Longest drives from airports. Gasoline prices not helping either. This is true but many that cruise from Miami fly into Ft Lauderdale due to cost being less, and it is not exactly close to the port of Miami

3. Very soft revenues. According to the call I just got Galveston has been very lucrative to RCCL, staight out of the mouth of someone in Mr Fain's office.

Yet the ship sailed full for 5 yrs, cant be that bad. She used to hit Key West so technically I am sure she could do other ports, not sure why they didnt, might be a demand thing. I have also sailed her to Belize. From Miami, I have done 2 cruises, both times same ports, Labadee, St Thomas, San Juan and the Bahamas, boy was I impressed.

5. The Yucatan coast is very hot and humid. The Caribbean is too from my experience and I have been on cruises to St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Cayman, Bahamas, and spent a week in Jamaica - all hot and humid in my experience.

People prefer to vacation in cooler climates during the summer and warmer climates during the winter. - Europe in the summer is pretty warm and so in the Mediterranian (sp), the truth is people are wanting to do something different. Seen one Caribbean island, seen em all in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the airports are too far away to generate nationwide bookings. Hmm funny, I know of folks from all over that have gone from Galveston.

Shuttle transfers were the most expensive in the USA, and the Houston area is by far the least attractive city in the USA. The Houston are looks, smells, and is the largest petrochemical complex in the world. When fares drop more than half between the summer and winter season, no wonder the cruise lines are repositioning their ships for more profit.

I have been to many cities I think are far more unattractive than Houston, I happen to like Houston actually. I find Miami, and Los Angeles to both be unattractive by far more so than Houston, and I am sure there are a lot more. Tampa is not exactly winning any awards either. If they were basing it only on the looks of a city then they would be hard pressed to find anywhere to put the ships. I agree it is a long drive, but I would rather drive an hour than fly to Miami any day. The distance is why Bayport is going to be such an attractive terminal, much closer for transportation, still an hour from me.

In the past during the summer and winter months many cruises from Texas have been discounted to less than $70 per day. That is soft.......in any business.

The pricing on any of the smaller ships is less than the larger ships, even from Miami. The fall is actually the least expensive time to cruise from Galveston, I used to always go then because it was so much less than other times of the year. May is a little more but still cheaper than summer or winter months.

I did a comparison for the exact same week, leaving from Galveston and leaving from Miami

Ship Name: Rhapsody Of The Seas

Departure Port: Galveston, Texas

Ports of Call: Galveston, Texas; Cozumel, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico; Yucatan (Progreso), Mexico; Galveston, Texas

2007 Date(s): Aug 26

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

Interior Oceanview Balcony Deluxe & Suite

$599.00 $699.00 $1,049.00 $1,199.00

(this is a featured hot deal week for Rhapsody and the cheapest cabin still comes to 85 per night before tax. Other weeks were more)

Ship Name: Freedom Of The Seas

Departure Port: Miami, Florida

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Miami, Florida

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

$899.00 $1,199.00 $1,249.00 $1,949.00

This is a hard comparison because from July thru Sept there are only 2 ships leaving from Miami, Freedom and Liberty. Miami being a huge cruise port, and only 2 ships for RCCL? This tells me the whole Caribbean market is soft or they would have more ships positioned there. Ft Lauderdale had none during the time frame, and Pt Canaveral had 1 ship.

Ship Name: Mariner Of The Seas

Departure Port: Port Canaveral, Florida

Ports of Call: Port Canaveral, Florida; Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; Port Canaveral, Florida

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

$799.00 $898.00 $997.00 $1,799.00

Considering both the Freedom and the Mariner are much larger, the prices are going to be more, they have more to pay for. There are no other smaller ship options from those ports. I find it interesting that Royal Caribbean said they would be moving a lot of ships out of the Caribbean since it was soft yet everyone seems to think Galveston is the issue here. We only had 1 full time and 1 part time ship, both are gone, they needed smaller ships somewhere else, logic says move those. If it were just Galveston then Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Pt Canaveral would have more ships during that time frame, yet they dont. We are still getting a ship, only part of the time now, during the winter and spring months, so if it was not lucrative, I can guarantee you RCCL would not put a ship here at all. The plan all along was never to keep Rhapsody here but to bring another ship if Rhapsody did well She has the highest repeat passenger base of any ship in the fleet, tells you something. The fact someone picked up the phone and called me to respond to my letter says they are listening and Texas will see another ship, maybe not Rhapsody but we will get something in the next few years.

1. Most delays for fog. Florida has the most cancellations and delays due to hurricanes, I have never had a cruise delayed due to fog so it cant be that frequent, only know of a few this year this happened to.

2. Longest drives from airports. Gasoline prices not helping either. This is true but many that cruise from Miami fly into Ft Lauderdale due to cost being less, and it is not exactly close to the port of Miami

3. Very soft revenues. According to the call I just got Galveston has been very lucrative to RCCL, staight out of the mouth of someone in Mr Fain's office.

Yet the ship sailed full for 5 yrs, cant be that bad. She used to hit Key West so technically I am sure she could do other ports, not sure why they didnt, might be a demand thing. I have also sailed her to Belize. From Miami, I have done 2 cruises, both times same ports, Labadee, St Thomas, San Juan and the Bahamas, boy was I impressed.

5. The Yucatan coast is very hot and humid. The Caribbean is too from my experience and I have been on cruises to St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Cayman, Bahamas, and spent a week in Jamaica - all hot and humid in my experience.

People prefer to vacation in cooler climates during the summer and warmer climates during the winter. - Europe in the summer is pretty warm and so in the Mediterranian (sp), the truth is people are wanting to do something different. Seen one Caribbean island, seen em all in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the airports are too far away to generate nationwide bookings. Hmm funny, I know of folks from all over that have gone from Galveston.

Shuttle transfers were the most expensive in the USA, and the Houston area is by far the least attractive city in the USA. The Houston are looks, smells, and is the largest petrochemical complex in the world. When fares drop more than half between the summer and winter season, no wonder the cruise lines are repositioning their ships for more profit.

I have been to many cities I think are far more unattractive than Houston, I happen to like Houston actually. I find Miami, and Los Angeles to both be unattractive by far more so than Houston, and I am sure there are a lot more. Tampa is not exactly winning any awards either. If they were basing it only on the looks of a city then they would be hard pressed to find anywhere to put the ships. I agree it is a long drive, but I would rather drive an hour than fly to Miami any day. The distance is why Bayport is going to be such an attractive terminal, much closer for transportation, still an hour from me.

In the past during the summer and winter months many cruises from Texas have been discounted to less than $70 per day. That is soft.......in any business.

The pricing on any of the smaller ships is less than the larger ships, even from Miami. The fall is actually the least expensive time to cruise from Galveston, I used to always go then because it was so much less than other times of the year. May is a little more but still cheaper than summer or winter months.

I did a comparison for the exact same week, leaving from Galveston and leaving from Miami

Ship Name: Rhapsody Of The Seas

Departure Port: Galveston, Texas

Ports of Call: Galveston, Texas; Cozumel, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico; Yucatan (Progreso), Mexico; Galveston, Texas

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

$599.00 $699.00 $1,049.00 $1,199.00

(this is a featured hot deal week for Rhapsody and the cheapest cabin still comes to 85 per night before tax. Other weeks were more)

Ship Name: Freedom Of The Seas

Departure Port: Miami, Florida

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Miami, Florida

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

$899.00 $1,199.00 $1,249.00 $1,949.00

This is a hard comparison because from July thru Sept there are only 2 ships leaving from Miami, Freedom and Liberty. Miami being a huge cruise port, and only 2 ships for RCCL? This tells me the whole Caribbean market is soft or they would have more ships positioned there. Ft Lauderdale had none during the time frame, and Pt Canaveral had 1 ship.

Ship Name: Mariner Of The Seas

Departure Port: Port Canaveral, Florida

Ports of Call: Port Canaveral, Florida; Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; Port Canaveral, Florida

Stateroom:

Prices From*:

$799.00 $898.00 $997.00 $1,799.00

Considering both the Freedom and the Mariner are much larger, the prices are going to be more, they have more to pay for. There are no other smaller ship options from those ports. I find it interesting that Royal Caribbean said they would be moving a lot of ships out of the Caribbean since it was soft yet everyone seems to think Galveston is the issue here. We only had 1 full time and 1 part time ship, both are gone, they needed smaller ships somewhere else, logic says move those. If it were just Galveston then Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Pt Canaveral would have more ships during that time frame, yet they dont. We are still getting a ship, only part of the time now, during the winter and spring months, so if it was not lucrative, I can guarantee you RCCL would not put a ship here at all. The plan all along was never to keep Rhapsody here but to bring another ship if Rhapsody did well She has the highest repeat passenger base of any ship in the fleet, tells you something. The fact someone picked up the phone and called me to respond to my letter says they are listening and Texas will see another ship, maybe not Rhapsody but we will get something in the next few years.

I completely agree. I just sent an email myself.

Archived