We have 5 hours in London-Help!

Hi~ We are going to be in London 5 hours in June arriving off of the Veendam (HAL) cruise ship. We will be "dropped" in a central location (city center) and then 5 hours "on our own" . What would be the best way to take in London? A bus? We will only have time to "see" the sites, but do want an overview and the shore excursions did not address this. Help!! :eek: We leave in less than 2 weeks and have never been to London! Thanks!:confused:

If your interested in the War ( second world ) why not go to the War rooms - where Churchill he had his underground bunker. National gallery is another place worth visiting - horseguards parade - Houses of Parliament

jj.....

You didn't say what happens (ie where you need to be) at the end of the 5hrs. If you're disembarking that day, I assume you're likely flying home and have to be at one of the airports to catch a flight.

If this is the case, advice might vary depending on which airport you're flying out of since they are on opposite sides of the city.

Also, Heathrow can be a real zoo and you have to allow lots of time to navigate through it, pass security (which is very strict re carryons) etc.

Personally, if I was flying out of LHW and had enough time to kill while waiting for a flight, I'd go to Windsor and see the castle.

Hi~ We are going to be in London 5 hours in June arriving off of the Veendam (HAL) cruise ship. We will be "dropped" in a central location (city center) and then 5 hours "on our own" . What would be the best way to take in London? A bus? We will only have time to "see" the sites, but do want an overview and the shore excursions did not address this. Help!! :eek: We leave in less than 2 weeks and have never been to London! Thanks!:confused:

If you are staying in central London for this time I would go for the open topped bus which is Hop on Hop off and will cost around £18 ($36.00) and will give you an overview and you will see lots of the sights. If you Google "london hop on hop off" you will get a range of sites and bus companies. You may even get discount by buying on the web. Check which have the most extensive bus routes and a stop near to your drop off point.

Hope that helps

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

If you are staying in central London for this time I would go for the open topped bus which is Hop on Hop off and will cost around £18 ($36.00) and will give you an overview and you will see lots of the sights. If you Google "london hop on hop off" you will get a range of sites and bus companies. You may even get discount by buying on the web. Check which have the most extensive bus routes and a stop near to your drop off point.

Hope that helps

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

YES, YES, YES!! Take the hoho bus. It's perfect for 5 hours, and you will even have time to get off at a stop or two. Personally, I recommend the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels inside. Oh, my! I rode that people mover around about 6 times!!

You can buy your tickets for the hoho online, and just give the voucher to the bus driver:

http://www.bigbus.co.uk/

Download the map so you know which stop is nearest your drop-off. Also, I recommend the folding laminated London map from Barnes and Nobles or Borders. $8 to keep you from getting lost.

I agree with others that the HoHo busses are the way to go for transportation. To see London from an unique perspective, you might want to consider the London Eye. If you purchase the "Discovery Pass" with tour guide, you are reserved for a specific time, and go directly to the head of the line. Buy it online in advance and save 10% as well (you can do that with your HoHo bus also).

We did that last year while in London and enjoyed it tremendously. You can get some fantastic photos while looking down onto the city.

Cheers,

HOHO bus is fantastic for seeing London's sights. If you sit up on deck you will also get fantastic photos.The tour we took also included a boat tour on the Thames which was very enjoyable. If you are sporting fans, you may be interested in the tours conducted at Lords Cricket Ground or Wimbledon LawnTennis centre. We are tennis and cricket fans and loved these tours. Enjoy your short time as you tour the real life monopoly board.LOL.

Jennie

Archived