West Coast Cruisers I have great New (Mariner of the Seas coming March 2009)

I would imagine its a safe bet for at least one new Disney ship to land in Port Canaveral

Seeing as how it's only an hour to Walt Disney World, it only makes sense. Especially for their 3/4 or 4/3 (land/sea) packages. Would be good idea for one out of LA to do a tie-in with Disneyland too.

As for the Mariner leaving PC...RCCL could move the Enchantment of the Seas to PC in 2009 to fill the gap in time until they can get a Freedom class up there. There aren't any 2009 sailings showing on their website yet (for EOS).

[

As for the Mariner leaving PC...RCCL could move the Enchantment of the Seas to PC in 2009 to fill the gap in time until they can get a Freedom class up there. There aren't any 2009 sailings showing on their website yet (for EOS).

Or they could move Navigator up from FLL -- depending on how the ship does as a 4/5 nighter. Just hope they don't leave PC uncovered by a big ship.

I am wondering how they plan to turn around the Mariner at the Port of LA? Looks like the basin under the Vincent Thomas bridge is not wide enough. The Vision barely makes it when there is a container ship docked there. I guess they could back in or back out the length of the channel.

I know they are talking about a new cruise terminal at the end of the LA harbor. That would fix the problem. Not sure how long it would take to build it. I guess they could use tents as a temporary solution. They could also use tender boats to get to her. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hey to get on the ship, I am willing to swim out to her.

Mike

If it pulls into the side channel where the Monarch is in the photo below (and is also used by the Vision on Sundays) then it does not have to turn around. Just either back in and go straight out of back out when it is leaving (which is what the Vision usually does).

SanPedro.jpg

Before the Alaskan season the Diamond Princess also docked where the Monarch is in the above photo. The Diamond Princess is 290 meters long, 37.5 meters wide and just over 8 meters draft. The Mariner is just over 311 meters long, 47.5 meters wide and just under 9 meters draft.

Here is the Diamond Princess docked in San Pedro ...

DSCN0552.jpg

Diamonddocked.jpg

Here is the Diamond Princess leaving San Pedro ...

Diamondleaving.jpg

And here is the last picture I was able to take, just before I got run over ...

DPheadon-2.jpg

So it appears that the Mariner will fit. The Queen Mary II docked in San Pedro. I was not there, but I understand that the Queen Mary II had to back in. The QM2 is 345 meters long, 41 meters wide and draws just under 10 meters of water.

I am new to this bb ...

Where do I find the information everyone else seems to know about the Marier to LA?

Is there a www site w/ this info.

Thanks

rpinphx@cox.net

It is not official yet. Many prior rumors about the Navigator, Radiance and Adventurer. However, this time RCI has informed a few (top producing?) agents. Most likely an official announcement will be made this weekend.

Mimi, Are they bringing a disney ship out here? I thought I heard something but don't know how reputable the info was.

The Disney Magic will be here for about 3 months during the summer of 2008. Who know what might or might not come to Los Angeles once Disney takes delivery of two new ships.

Cuizer2,

I really hope so. I looked up the specs on Mariner and RCI is being really smart about this move. Aside from Monarch not a lot of lines do Mexico in the summer due to the heat. Vision goes to Alaska along with all the Princess ships.

Mariner is a destination in itself. Lots of amenities for the whole family if it is just to flipping hot and humid to get off the ship and go to port. Lots of families who might want to cruise but do not want to also fly I think will go for this big time. I would seriously do this for a week. I would seriously grab my nephews to go on her.

I also loved your photos, made we want to book another cruise.

Cuizer2,

I really hope so. I looked up the specs on Mariner and RCI is being really smart about this move. Aside from Monarch not a lot of lines do Mexico in the summer due to the heat. Vision goes to Alaska along with all the Princess ships.

Mariner is a destination in itself. Lots of amenities for the whole family if it is just to flipping hot and humid to get off the ship and go to port. Lots of families who might want to cruise but do not want to also fly I think will go for this big time. I would seriously do this for a week. I would seriously grab my nephews to go on her.

I also loved your photos, made we want to book another cruise.

RCI and Carnival both do year round three and four night Baja California cruises from Los Angeles (San Pedro and Long Beach). Only Carnival does year round Mexican Riviera cruises from Los Angeles.

In the summer of 2005 Disney did about one dozen Mexican Riviera cruises as part of Disney's 50th celebration from San Pedro. In the summer of 2008 Disney will again do about one dozen Mexican Riviera cruises from San Pedro and RCI will also have the Vision sailing the Mexican Riviera that summer. I believe that RCI plans to have the Mariner do the Mexican Riviera year round. So, either RCI is dropping one ship from Alaska or RCI will be bringing a third ship through the Panama Canal starting in 2008.

Cruizer2....Thanks for all the good info! I love the photos also. Great job!

It would be great to have a Disney ship out here. I would love to sail one just for the experience but really don't want to fly to Florida to do it. I will follow the thread and post what I find out as news comes in next week.

Nancy

Cruizer2....Thanks for all the good info! I love the photos also. Great job!

It would be great to have a Disney ship out here. I would love to sail one just for the experience but really don't want to fly to Florida to do it. I will follow the thread and post what I find out as news comes in next week.

Nancy

Wait until you see the prices. Here is a sample for the Disney Magic from the end of June 2008 ...

Sun Jun-29-08 spaceit.gif Sun Jul-6-08

Inside $1799per person

Ocean View $2279per person

Balcony $2819per person

Suites - Call us

Those are per person prices, not per cabin. So an inside is going to run $3,600, an ocean view $4560 and a balcony $5640. Forget about the suites, they are all sold out.

Now here is the Vision OTS on the same sailing, doing the same itinerary (sans the mouse ears) ...

Sun Jun-29-08 spaceit.gif Sun Jul-6-08

Inside $899per person

Ocean View $999per person

Balcony $1569per person

Suite $1849per person

For an extra $50 per person over the inside price you can get a Jr. Suite. An ocean view on the Vision will cost you $2,560 less than an ocean view on the Magic (and in either case, you will be looking at the same ocean).

Still interested in a Disney cruise?

Those are per person prices, not per cabin. So an inside is going to run $3,600, an ocean view $4560 and a balcony $5640. Forget about the suites, they are all sold out.

Ouch - I knew they were pricy, but yikes! Everyone that I know that has been on Disney loved it, but I would have AWEFULLY hard time justifying those costs. :rolleyes:

Ouch - I knew they were pricy, but yikes! Everyone that I know that has been on Disney loved it, but I would have AWEFULLY hard time justifying those costs. :rolleyes:

When I found out Disney was coming to San Pedro for 2008 I tried to talk a friend into going. Once we saw the prices we both said no. Instead we are both going on the Serenade in April 2008. This is during Easter week. The prices are 50% higher than the same ship on the same itinerary the prior week. And even with that, the cost of the cabin is half of what it would be on the Disney Magic ten weeks later.

Now if I could pull in those kind of prices week in and week out, I would have my seven largest ships sailing out of San Pedro year round. And I would be busy building seven more even larger ships.

Their quarterly conference calls give insight into RCCL's desire to move to new markets especially as present, the Caribbean market is a bit flat.

Yes, to many cruiselines bring their ships in the Caribbean market. The prices they can charge per day especially for the balcony cabins/suites are much higher in Europe, Asia and South America.

It will become interesting what is next. On the Voyager I heard that there are ideas to bring a (Vision-class-) ship to Africa or Middle East as well in the next couple of years. We will see.:)

O.K., I live in Colorado and am landlocked. I have always been landlocked. Sooooo....please don't make fun of me for asking this question. I'm pretty smart other than knowing this information. :)

How will hurricane season affect the West Coast of Mexico? It's my understanding that hurricanes are possible there, but are they probable? Do they only hit the West Coast once they've made landfall in the east and drifted across land to the other coast (even in Colorado we've been known to get rain from a hurricane that moved in the right direction from the Gulf)? We were in NOLA the weekend of Katrina, and now avoid traveling to the East Coast during hurricane season.

Thanks in advance for the meteorological education.

O.K., I live in Colorado and am landlocked. I have always been landlocked. Sooooo....please don't make fun of me for asking this question. I'm pretty smart other than knowing this information. :)

How will hurricane season affect the West Coast of Mexico? It's my understanding that hurricanes are possible there, but are they probable? Do they only hit the West Coast once they've made landfall in the east and drifted across land to the other coast (even in Colorado we've been known to get rain from a hurricane that moved in the right direction from the Gulf)? We were in NOLA the weekend of Katrina, and now avoid traveling to the East Coast during hurricane season.

Hi,

Hurricanes also form in the Pacific and sometimes hit the west coast of Mexico. I believe that season started May 15.

The attached link is for the National Oceanagraphic & Atmospheric Administration website: http://www.noaa.gov/. Pretty interesting site.

Here is a link to a current weather system off of Mexico's west coast ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2077

I was just researching a cruise for someone for march 2009 from port Canaveral on the Mariner and noticed that she is not going to be in Port Canaveral any longer. She will be relocating to Los Angeles with her first sailing in March 2009. She is scheduled to do a 7 night mexican Baja cruise through August 2009. So it looks like RCCL has listened to all west coast cruisers who wanted a Voyager class ship.

The Emails

Dear David,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately I cannot comment about our itineraries other than the what we have announced. Please be assured that Port Canaveral is important to us.

Best regards,

Adam

And my original Email

Hello Adam

I have been reading in the Cruise Critic web site that Mariner of the Seas is getting repositioned to Los Angeles in 2009. Is this true and if so are there plans to put another ship in Port Canaveral? After cruising out of that port, just having Sovereign of the Seas out of that port would be a great loss for vacationers wanting the Orlando experience followed by a Royal Caribbean cruise. I have also thought that maybe Celebrity would put a Solstice class there. Port Everglades and Miami have more than enough to spare one ship to PC.

Keep up the great work.

And another sent Message

Adam

Then I think you have someone at RCI that is leaking information. There is a big thread on Cruise Critic on this. Perhaps you may want to announce something to stop the rumors.Here is a link to the thread on it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=564794

Thanks

I mentioned this in a post a few month ago, that the Mariner was going to the West Coast, and the Independance was coming to Port Canaveral to take her place. No one believed me, but my source is a good inside one.

I have been in communication with my friend Adam Goldstein and he will not confirm any of this. In reply to that I advised him that he has a problem with employees leaking information and needs to put a stop to that. You just confirmed what I have been telling him all along. Thanks for that confirmation.............I'll pass it along :D

I have been in communication with my friend Adam Goldstein and he will not confirm any of this. In reply to that I advised him that he has a problem with employees leaking information and needs to put a stop to that. You just confirmed what I have been telling him all along. Thanks for that confirmation.............I'll pass it along :D

I think he is better off having employees that leak than ships that leak. :)

What's the leak? The original poster told us about the itinerary because he found it online. Plus we've had additional information from RCI to "top-selling" travel agents about this news. I don't see how we've gotten information leaked from an RCI employee.

What's the leak? The original poster told us about the itinerary because he found it online. Plus we've had additional information from RCI to "top-selling" travel agents about this news. I don't see how we've gotten information leaked from an RCI employee.

I find this very interesting Adam Goldstein will not say anything about it yet. Now who authorized the lower RCI people to do this and yet Adam will not say anything about it. I find this very disturbing indeed and it makes me wonder who is running RCI

Archived