Independent Land Tour - is this feesible?

TeeBuccs

Am making plans now for 2008 (our 10 year wedding anniversary trip) back to Alaska. I am wondering if those of you with a lot of experience and knowledge of AK can review and let me know if this is doable...

7 day NB inside passage cruise that disembarks in Whittier - as soon as get off the ship

- Find tansportation to Seward

- Once in Seward, rent car for few days

- Do Kenai Fjords cruise tour

- Overnight in Seward

Day 8 - AM visit SeaLife Center, do Seavey's Idideride, and then Portage/Exit Glacier and then drive leisurely to Homer area; overnight in Homer

Day 9 - Bear viewing excursion and overnight again

Day 10 - Fishing excursion and overnight

Day 11 - Drive back to Seward to turn in rental car; get transportation to Anchorage where we will hit the Sat. market and then spend the night

Day 12 - fly home

I am debating if it makes sense to get car in Seward or to get from Whittier to Anchorage (avis downtown)? We could pick up car and drive to Homer and reverse itinerary??? Please help with any suggestions!

Thanks!!!

We're not going to Alaska until next week, but we will be on a NB cruise to Whittier, and do a land trip that includes Seward and Homer.

I got a quote from PJ's Taxi for a Whittier to Seward transfer, and it was ~ $200 plus the $12 tunnel fee for 2 people. If you're willing to pay that much for a transfer, you might as well rent from Avis in Whittier and keep the car until you get back to Anchorage. You'll want to stop at Portage Glacier as you leave Whittier, as it's close to Whittier and not on the way from Seward to Homer.

I got a quote from PJ's Taxi for a Whittier to Seward transfer, and it was ~ $200 plus the $12 tunnel fee for 2 people.
Nancy this makes no sense. There is no fee leaving Whittier - only entering Whittier - so we're they going to make you pay for them to get back to Whitter? Why not just include that in the price??

That being said I think you gave some good advice (I haven't been yet either but have done lots of research). By renting the car in Whittier you do have to pay the $100 drop off fee but that is much cheaper than transportation to get 2 of you to Seward and then you have to back track - then get transport back to Anchorge - just not worth the time and you aren't going to save any money.

If you plan to spend the night before departing in Anchorage I too would suggest returning the car at the downtown location - as you will save on the airport associated fees. The downtown office offered to pick us up at our hotel and bring us to the office so I'm sure they would be willing to drop you at your hotel - I would call and ask when booking. Just be sure to book a hotel that has a shuttle to the airport so you don't have to pay cab fees.

As far as the rest there are others much more experienced that can help.

Good luck in your planning.

I would think that renting from Avis in Whittier and returning in Anchorage will overall be your best bet, both financially and time-wise. As NancyIL said, the cost to get from Whittier to Seward is not cheap. Plus, it's not free from Seward to Anchorage either. And, you won't need to return to Seward after Homer.

When are you going to take the trip? Bear viewing from Homer peaks in July.

Here is a link to a post I did (#5) regarding bear viewing in AK.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532381

John

Nancy this makes no sense. There is no fee leaving Whittier - only entering Whittier - so we're they going to make you pay for them to get back to Whitter? Why not just include that in the price??

That being said I think you gave some good advice (I haven't been yet either but have done lots of research). By renting the car in Whittier you do have to pay the $100 drop off fee but that is much cheaper than transportation to get 2 of you to Seward and then you have to back track - then get transport back to Anchorge - just not worth the time and you aren't going to save any money.

If you plan to spend the night before departing in Anchorage I too would suggest returning the car at the downtown location - as you will save on the airport associated fees. The downtown office offered to pick us up at our hotel and bring us to the office so I'm sure they would be willing to drop you at your hotel - I would call and ask when booking.

As far as the rest there are others much more experienced that can help.

Good luck in your planning.

Cheryl - the taxi company has to pay the tunnel fee to pick-up guests at the port in Whittier, so the cost is passed along to the passengers. Other companies might make that part of the total fee, but that's what my quote said.

Rental car companies usually charge more for a pick-up at an airport location than from a downtown location, but the airport drop-off generally doesn't cost more when renting from one of the majors. However, we're renting from Enterprise in downtown Anchorage, and they charge $40 for an airport return.

They are based in Seward so they are charging you for the toll to get to Whittier and pick you up. Like most taxi and limo companies - they charge tolls extra. It helps to show how much the "extras" are - not that I agree with it.

If you plan to spend the night before departing in Anchorage I too would suggest returning the car at the downtown location - as you will save on the airport associated fees. The downtown office offered to pick us up at our hotel and bring us to the office so I'm sure they would be willing to drop you at your hotel - I would call and ask when booking. Just be sure to book a hotel that has a shuttle to the airport so you don't have to pay cab fees.

Actually you only incur the Anchorage airport fees and taxes when you PICK UP the car there. If you are just dropping off the car at the airport, no extra fees. The more important thing is whether you want to pay for the extra day of car rental. But generally if you have a car for 5 days or more, you pay the weekly rate anyway. So keeping it for your entire trip and dropping at the airport will probably be your best bet. But price it out several ways. I suggest booking your car before the Whittier office closes this year if possible. Every winter there are tons of posts about "We can't book our car to/from Whittier until the office opens in May." Generally you can always cancel a car rental resrvation for no charge. Any changes though do trigger a reprice at the then-current price.

Looking again at your itinerary, are you going to be on Carnival Spirit, arriving on a Wednesday? You have one too many days if you plan to do the Saturday Market in Anchorage...on Saturday! The day your cruise ends is actually day 8, so according to your plan - you would arrive in Anchorage on Sunday and fly home Monday. If you were on the Coral or Island Princess departing on Monday, you could add one more day to your post-cruise land trip and still fly home Sunday.

Looking again at your itinerary, are you going to be on Carnival Spirit, arriving on a Wednesday? You have one too many days if you plan to do the Saturday Market in Anchorage...on Saturday! The day your cruise ends is actually day 8, so according to your plan - you would arrive in Anchorage on Sunday and fly home Monday. If you were on the Coral or Island Princess departing on Monday, you could add one more day to your post-cruise land trip and still fly home Sunday.

Yes, this is the Spirit itineary...and I am under the impression that the Saturday market is also up and operational on Sunday. I planned to be back to ANC Sunday and hitting the market then. Is this not correct?

Yes, this is the Spirit itineary...and I am under the impression that the Saturday market is also up and operational on Sunday. I planned to be back to ANC Sunday and hitting the market then. Is this not correct?

I believe the market is open both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't know if you were trying to get home by the end of the weekend. You're fine. :)

When are you going to take the trip? Bear viewing from Homer peaks in July.

Here is a link to a post I did (#5) regarding bear viewing in AK.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532381

John

Slight correction due here. Bear viewing from Homer certainly does not peak in July. IF you are going to Brooks from Homer, July is peak. However, the bears eat more silver salmon than anything. And the silvers don't start running until early/mid August.

Any other place in the Katmai other than Brooks-peak viewing time is late August/early September. The silvers are coming in like crazy and the bears are "power feeding" to get ready for winter. Often times, they spend the entire day standing in the ocean fishing. Those times to me are what bear viewing is all about-20-30 bears all fishing side by side and then vegging out on the beach.

We're not going to Alaska until next week, but we will be on a NB cruise to Whittier, and do a land trip that includes Seward and Homer.

You'll want to stop at Portage Glacier as you leave Whittier, as it's close to Whittier and not on the way from Seward to Homer.

For clairfication, it's not the glacier that I recommend stopping at, it's the visitor center. If timing allows, look at the ranger activity schedule, usually very good.

I too would suggest you just pick up your car in Avis for a Anchorage return. You really need to allow 2 days for any bear trips out of Homer. My top pick in Seward is a Kenai Fjords boat tour, if of interest. Superior to anything seen from your ship and loaded with varied wildlife.

My top pick in Seward is a Kenai Fjords boat tour, if of interest. Superior to anything seen from your ship and loaded with varied wildlife.

So, I have been looking into a Kenai Fjords boat tour as I really would like to experience it, but I have found several operators. Has anyone used one of the following or think one provides a better tour (nice boat, etc.) than the others?

- Major Marine Tours (does Ressurection Bay and full day into Park)

- Kenai Fjords Tours (looked more expensive)

- Renown Tours

- or any other operator??

Thanks!

So, I have been looking into a Kenai Fjords boat tour as I really would like to experience it, but I have found several operators. Has anyone used one of the following or think one provides a better tour (nice boat, etc.) than the others?

- Renown Tours

Thanks!

They all get good reviews from this board. Choose the one that best fits your schedule. Also consider buying a Toursaver book either new or from someone on EBay. You save more just on this cruise than the price of the book (perhaps book the cruise first mentioning toursaver to see if they have room, then purchase the book to bring with you).

I have gone with all three operators, but I have not gone with Renown on a Kenai fjords trip- it was a grey whale watch. All excellent vendor's in my opinion. Choose who fits your schedule best?

- Renown Tours

Thanks!

they are most all in the same price ballpark. Look at each routing. By far the best is the Alaska Heritage Northwestern Fjords trip. Don't even consider any bay trips- no where near far enough out.

Rental car companies usually charge more for a pick-up at an airport location than from a downtown location, but the airport drop-off generally doesn't cost more when renting from one of the majors. However, we're renting from Enterprise in downtown Anchorage, and they charge $40 for an airport return.

In Anchorage you have to pay the airport pick up even if your rental pick up is on Spenard Road if you use their airport shuttle to get there. To avoid these high fees/tax just take a taxi.

This of course would nto apply if you are renting from Enterprise downtown but def. applies to Thrifty Car Rental in Anchorage.

Archived