A negative review???

scamper

I was astonished to run across a very negative review posted yesterday on the review boards regarding the Spirit. Seems as though they faulted the ship and it's company for the anti-American comments that raged throughout the cruise by six fellow passengers from Germany.

They went on to say that the crew were often "overworked and become distracted because of it...they run around with the heads cut off" (!) I've never heard such a thing! Granted the staff work very hard, but are they so overwhelmed that now Seabourn is decapitating them?!!?

Someone unhappy with Seabourn...well, I guess there truly is one in a million.

Oh, and...

They ended the review by admitting "we and the cruise line should really be taken out of the five star categories." Not a very nice thing to say about yourself, I must say.

I don't mean to question the honesty of the person posting that review of the Spirit (I just read it)....but since I was not there to witness everything they claimed happened, I am basically just hearing one side of the circumstances, if you know what I mean.

Each person has the right to their opinion, even if we may not agree with it. I'm disappointed anyone would describe the "stellar" Seabourn crew as running around like chickens with their heads cut off....but *shrug*, I've learned to take opinions, whether here, or anywhere else, with a grain of salt. It certainly won't change my love of Seabourn (and my preference in sailing with them!)

Jane

My last trip with Seabourn (Panama Canal) wasn't exactly spectacular and I did post a review on it. Two people can partake the same things and have completely different experiences. This latest review does exhibit some balance as it highlights the traveller's highs and lows. At the end of the day they didn't enjoy it. No harm, no foul.

I have to applaud the reviewer for sharing and for ultimately realizing that Seabourn isn't the line for them.

I'm CASHIPman's partner and I will echo....our last Seabourn cruise was such a disappointment we haven't taken another on that line.....mediocre food, crew sharing gossip about other staff with passengers, etc....just not what one would expect from a luxury line.

That said....any line, including all the luxury brands....can have an 'off' experience. I believe our last was an abberation for Seabourn...but believe me, it does happen.

I wonder about a "review" that really had nothing specific to do with the ship or its staff. It is impossible to tell if the "fun loving" couple was having fun at the expense of others (causing the conflict with the other passengers and Seabourn supposed non-action) or if there was legitimate complaint.

I cannot but question what caused (provoked?) the hand gesture which clearly was directed to the reviewer and not every other person on the ship.

Take away that complaint/issue and it just seems the reviewer wasn't happy with Seabourn's style...or something. It is, for example, the first time I have read or heard of someone claiming Silversea was less stuffy than Seabourn.

Also the reviewer has not, from what I can tell, ever posted on any forum...for what that is worth.

It really seems that a feud developed between the Germans and the dentist reviewer. There was apparently a lot of personal feelings that escalated amongst them. Likely, the Germans made some offensive remarks and the reviewer couple replied instead of ignoring them. This might have led to the "bird" and on and on. At the end, no one seems to have been behaving as grown-ups!

The real issue is what the staff (upper management, of course) should do about this sort of thing, especially on a small ship. I'm sure the initial response is no response at all. However, at some point, they should intervene with a kind word about "live and let live" or "everyone is on vacation, let's leave the problems at home."

We do not know what Seabourn did or didn't do; other than it was not to the reviewer's liking.

I am confident Seabourn did something, but yet another thread discussing that which we know nothing about really is of no assistance to anyone looking for actual information. Just as the last poster said, let's just get on with life and leave this where it belongs: In the past.

I just read the review of the Spirit and it does seem to be colored by the poster's experience with the Germans. However, in all fairness, he does review what he saw as service less than what he expected and that may be what he experienced. No one can take that experience away from him. And as far as Security is concerned, I was on a Panama Canal cruise on the Legend when Security not only did nothing to deal with a certain situation, they did exactly the WRONG thing. That security officer has since been sent to Princess, I believe, where he belongs. The subject was covered ad nauseum here on the boards.

Nothing, not even Seabourn, is perfect all the time. One of my pet peeves about these boards is that when anyone dares to criticize someone else's preferred cruise line, it is taken way too personally, as if their children were being attacked. I feel we all have the right to be critical when things go wrong, not only to be lavish in our praise. That is the only way others can benefit from our experiences.

It is not a matter of crying "fowl" (foul) if one complains of anything on Seabourn.

It is, to the contrary, "Why must every complaint be met with the same people blindly supporting the complaint?" For me it is that need from some to just be negative rather than objective. My opinion.

There have been comments about, heaven forbid, Seabourn being imperfect...I guess in part because it is run by humans...and there is no adverse comment about them. That even happened in this thread. So why the comment about cheerleading when the reviewer's, and only the reviewer's criticism is questioned?

My point was, and is, none of us know what happened so commenting in support or opposition to the reviewer's observations is silly.

Yes, there have been some errors in the past. Yes there has been some pretty fantastic service as well. They are, alas, irrelevant to the comments of the reviewer.

Some people also blindly defend Seabourn no matter what the complaint.

Let people say whatever they want. Those of us who sail Seabourn regularly know exactly how wonderful it is and will not be affected by one negative review. We know how great the service is. That doesn't mean the original reviewer is not entitled to his opinion.

Lord of the Seas,

As I stated before I think this is a problem on all cruise line boards. Seabourn is probably one of the more civil. I agree about Cunard where the tradition of ocean liners is defended to the death despite the fact that the QM2 is nothing more than a mass market cruise liner in an ocean liner's body.

The nice thing is that we all have choices.

Exactly! I have sailed NCL a few times and the fans of that line on CC will put their lives on the line to defend every aspect of it. And even if the complaints are legit, the victim is labeled as short-sighted for not researching ahead of time.

I agree with wripro, choices are a good thing!

The author's minimal comments and abusive passenger complaint seem more appropriate for a "Board" posting than a "Review" ... very little substance.

As others have pondered, one wonders what initiated the "cultural" feud:confused::confused::confused:

As others have pondered, one wonders what initiated the "cultural" feud:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe they watched too many episodes of "Faulty Towers"......."don't mention the War!!!!" :p

Archived