Online boarding passes and children charge information

TwinCruiserMom

I know the express check in subject is very popular lately, but I have searched and could not find this particular question answered completely.

I am filling out the information online and adding the credit card information for everyone in my party. I have to list a credit card for each of the 3 children. Will they be able to charge onboard ship using their cruise card?

Is there a way to turn off their charging privleges in the cruise personalizer or do I have to wait until we are onboard the ship? Is that a question that is asked at check-in when you have to show the credit card?

I trust my kids completely, I am just afraid of what could happen if they lost their card and someone decided to charge away!

Thanks!

Kathy

When you check in at the dock, they will again ask for your credit card; at that time just ask that the children's cards not be allowed charging onboard.

The card used online (which allows you to print your boarding passes) need not be the same one actually used at check in.

Thank you for answering so quickly! I am glad to know I can turn off the charging during check in so I do not have to wait in another line of people to take care of that onboard.

One more quick question:

On the boarding pass for my kids under "Establish your shipboard account", next to the authorized user there is the child's name and a signature line. Who is supposed to sign that line? Or should I leave that blank until check in?

Thanks!!

On our first Princess cruise, I expressly told the check-in person, when asked, that we did not want the kids to be able to charge. My 13 year old ordered ice cream with no problem from the ice cream booth. He didn't understand that giving them his room card meant that there was a charge. Once I cleared that up with him, he didn't use it again. But I was surprised that he was able to charge.

We brought lanyards and had the pursers desk punch a hole in the card so the kids could wear them around their necks. As far as loosing them and someone else charging on their card, we were always asked for our room number and signed the charge slip, so I don't think you have to worry about any charges to your cabin. Just review your account periodically.

I thought I once saw a post that someone had put a certain amount of $$ on thre card pre-paid. Once the limit is reached, the card has to have more $$ pre-paid into the account. You may want to look into that.

The checkin desk CANNOT do this for you. At checkin you must sign the credit card line for each child - the tips are put on their account and the account must be settled to something.

THEN when you get on board, go to the purser's desk with the cards - tell THEM to cancel all charging priviledges - they will scan the card and enter something into the computer so that the card will not accept charges for scanning. Then it cannot be used anywhere that they use the scanner to put the charges on your account.

BUT there are the odd things sold with a receipt on paper - ie special tshirt sales or the soda stickers where they note the card number on the receipt, and have the cardholder sign the sheet of paper -- these could still in theory be done so make sure you tell your kids not to!!!

Thank you for answering so quickly! I am glad to know I can turn off the charging during check in so I do not have to wait in another line of people to take care of that onboard.

One more quick question:

On the boarding pass for my kids under "Establish your shipboard account", next to the authorized user there is the child's name and a signature line. Who is supposed to sign that line? Or should I leave that blank until check in?

Thanks!!

Leave it blank until asked to sign at check in....

Who ever the credit card belongs to is the one that signs. :)

You can exclude charges from what ever cabin card you want.

The lanyard idea is a great one...even us big kids lose S&S cards!

The major office supply store in your town will have these lanyards in a package of 10-12 you can buy ahead of time for far less than what the ship will charge you.

I'm so glad to see this post. I was about to ask the same questions. I went to print out the boarding passes and discovered the requirement to supply credit card information for minors and to "establish shipboard accounts" for them. I thought this was ridiculous. I don't believe this was needed on our Disney cruise. Is this common practice with other cruise lines?

On Princess, because of the automatic tipping to every passenger's account, regardless of age, they want to know how the account will be settled.

Maybe on Disney the tips were not automatic?

I can't recall what exactly happened on our RCI - tips were not automatic, but I charged them to my card to get the paper slip at the end. Can't recall if the kids' accounts required a card up front or not.

I think that they system just doesn't distinguish on age - it just prints the same thing with credit card line for every single pax.

Archived