What to wear in port

GucciGal

Cayman Islands,Ocho Rios,Labadee and Cozumel. I figure I will be safe with the coverup and the bathing suit in Labadee,as I will be in the water all day,but the other ports I will be shopping and visiting some other sites. We will be on the NOS on September 4th. My first cruise,woo-hoo,I can't wait!!

I wear bathing suit, sandals & cover up initially. I bring my backpack with change of clothes, baby powder, sneakers, socks, camera, etc., whatever you need. Backpack holds souvenirs, etc. too.

Some excursions have showers and/or places to change, if not, first chance I get, I change. Bar/restaurant bathroom......wherever. I'm just more comfortable getting that damp suit off. Don't forget underwear and your zip-lock bag for the wet stuff!

Happy cruising.

When DH and I are in your situation, I have a small backpack that I pack a ziploc bag in and a change of clothes. Afterall, a pair of linen shorts and a top are not heavy to carry in the bag.

The backpacks are comfortable to wear, also, and DH and I take turns carrying it, too. ;)

I plan on wearing a Caribbean Joe sundress over my bathing suit for ports of call. Will take athletic shoes/socks to walk/shop in. I saw a need for a sundress on the last cruise. Bought 3 on sale at beallsflorida. They do have a website.

I've heard that in many ports (not all) coverups are frowned upon in the shopping/town areas. Maybe you should check in some guidebooks. I know I wouldn't like to offend anyone. Have fun on your cruise!

I will be bringing 3 coverups and 5 swimsuits. The coverups are short sleeved,not tight and an inch or two above the knee,very modest. I don't plan on trying on clothes,and if I did,I would have the manners not to try them on with sand and tanning oil all over me.

I don't plan on trying on clothes,and if I did,I would have the manners not to try them on with sand and tanning oil all over me.

You'd be surpised at people who wouldn't think twice about it. :( To the extent that my generalized statement about my behavior came across as something more pointed, I'm sorry, GucciGal. I didn't mean to insult you.

I think you will be appropriately dressed for both activities.

Have fun!

Sorry Trish,I was a little touchy yesterday when I read your post. I have a ton of things to do to get ready to go on my cruise,(September 4th is just around the corner) and my I.B.S. is acting up. Thanks everyone for all your help!!

Brenda

I think it depends upon the cover-ups -- there's such a variety.

I have one that's white-mesh -- I'd wear it to Labadee, since that's all beach anyway; however, I'd hesitate to wear it into Cozumel, etc. where I'll also be going into shops or restaurants. I have another cover up that looks just like a sundress. I would not hesitate to wear that for shopping. Well, let me clarify that: I'd wear it over a dry suit. If my suit were wet and making wet spots on my cover up, I would change into something else.

Brenda

I thought your response was fine; no display of touchiness or stress. I just can never tell on message boards when somebody is rubbed the wrong way so I wanted to make sure . . .

I hope you are feeling better. You've still got time before Sept. 4. I'm leaving for a land based vacation that same day & haven't even begun to think about packing. You'll be fine. Have a great trip!

Archived