Which cruiseline... or is cruising for me?

freezing

Hi,

I've taken two cruises with NCL but while I love the idea of spending a week on a ship and discovering a new place every day, I wasn't 100% happy with NCL. Now I'm wondering if there is another cruiseline i'd be happier with or if what bugs me is the same everywhere and I should find a different vacation style.

On my first cruise, I was actually working as a nanny and was quite busy looking after my kid, so I can't really say too much about that one.

The second cruise was on the NCL dawn this year.

What I loved about it was our cabin... we (boyfriend and I) had a minisuite with a balcony and a (for a cruiseship) big bathroom. We enjoyed taking baths on sea days and then chilling on our balcony for hours... ordering roomservice...

I loved the freestyle dining idea, we sometimes ate at 5.30, sometimes at 10pm and even though we never had reservations, we were able to get into all the restaurants without a long wait.

We enjoyed the gym, the gym classes and the running track. Some of the shows were great, not all were our taste, but there has to be something there for everyone, and you can't make everything right for everyone each night. I like the idea of having the option to go to a show.

What I didn't like as much was that the pool deck was always packed like crazy... this was spring and kids were all over the place. Is it different during school time? Or on different ships / cruiselines?

We were both a bit bothered by the millions of extra charges. Spa, gym classes, dinner reservations...

I always felt like they were pushing extra charges on me like crazy. I know I don't have to buy their photos or their art, but I found them kind of pushy and that got on my nerves. We played bingo one day with a small paper card, wanted to play again the next day, but they only sold the electronic devices for about 100$, which was crazy.

I guess what I am looking for is a ship that's more quiet, just relaxing, while still offering sports and some entertainment. I'm more interested in a comfy stateroom than in drinking and partying. And I don't want to listen to announcements about bingo and auctions and special sales five times a day. Does something like that exist?

Celebrity is a great chioce. Not nearly as many kids, a more refined atmosphere, and great service. They don't have anytime dining, but fixed seating. To make it clear, I'm not an NCL fan as I find their product to be less than stellar. And yes, if you cruise during school or if you take a longer cruise, there will be less kids. Also, you don't hear announcements on Celebrity. But, unless you take a luxury line, all cruises will sell things. But it's a little softer sell on Celebrity.

It sounds like you would be more suited at an AI resort. The only negative is that you don't get to see more than one island/country, but they definitely have what you are looking for - relaxing on the balcony, eating whenever you want, room service, reasonable prices.

I loved the cruise I went on, but I also loved going to an AI. AI isn't as fast-paced as a cruise, which I really liked. We have been to an AI in Mexico twice and wanted to experience something different, which is why we are going on the Destiny with 5 ports.

HTH.

I agree with Kitty9...NCL is not the best line, we didn't like it at all

I would try another line if you want no nickel & diming try REGENT you pay upfront for most things then you can sit back & enjoy.

We did like Princess with the anytime dining ...there are kids at certain times but they seem to be busy with the kids programs.

I'm not blaming NCL on this one - I think the time of year is important as to avoiding a gazillion kids. On a cruise and expenses, it's a pay me now pay me later deal. Some upgraded lines don't charge for some items but you pay for it up front.

My preference is using lines like NCL as I pay for the items I want and not others. I think they provide the best value and I book when kids are in school and have good luck.

If you are still interested in cruising, I think Princess sounds like a good option for you. You sound a lot like my DH and me. Princess still has the anytime dining option - which I don't think I'd go without (now that I know!!). They also have few announcements. We skip the art auction and bingo. There are some wonderful shows. With the gym, some classes have charges and some don't. (spinning, pilates - charge) (aerobics, step - no charge) The gym with treadmills, weights, etc does not have a charge. Skywalkers is a fun place to go at night. If you get a Caribe balcony - it is bigger with half sun and half shade. Those balcony dinners are nice too! We haven't ever had any difficulty with kids, but we usually go for longer than 7 days - that makes all the difference! Hope this helps!!

I agree with the poster who suggested Celebrity ("X"). There are no announcements, few children (even during spring break), and there are different options for dining. You can eat in the dining room, or in the alternative casual dining (not buffet - sit-down service), or in the buffet, or in the specialty restaurants, etc., etc. (varies depending on the ship).

I don't know how old you are, but must point out that the average passenger on X is a bit older. We were on the young end of the scale (in our mid-40s). X is also more expensive than Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

I don't think it matters which ship you are on, the pool area is going to be jam packed on sea days, especially if the weather is good. If your main goal is to have space to enjoy the sun you may prefer to always have a good sized balcony cabin.

Most of the cruise lines will push the different packages and add-ons, but you just have to be strong and learn to say "no". We always have done pictures and have felt zero pressure to purchase. We also attend the art auctions just for the free wine, and have never felt pressure there. My sister recently sailed on NCL and she did say that she felt like she was nickle and dimed to death --- so maybe there is more sales pressure there.

If money is no object then you should try Regent ---- pricey, but supposed to be fabulous!

Hope this helps!

I think Princess would be a good "fit" for you. They are among my favorites. Beautiful ships, good food, great crew...and if you prefer the anytime dining they also have that.

Don't give up on cruising without trying another line first. I believe that you should give Princess a try. They offer anytime dinning, called Personal Choice, that I believe you would like. They also offer fresh water swimming pools. My favorite cruise line is Celebrity, my least favorite is NCL. I also like Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I have not cruised Holland America yet, but I will be on the Zuiderdam on Dec. 1.

We had our first cruise last April and sailed on the Norwegian Jewel. We enjoyed NCL, especially the "freestyle cruising". We were bitten by the cruise bug, but want to venture out so are sailing with RCI this september. I agree with others. Don't count it our until you have tried a few different lines.

thank you for all the suggestions, everyone.

I don't want to give cruising up yet, which is why I'm asking for suggestions here :-) Like I said, I love the idea of cruising in general. I'll look up all the cruise lines suggested here.

I think as far as age is concerned, we will never fit in. I'm 22, my boyfriend is 28. If we look for people our age, we will probably end up on a party cruise. We both don't drink alcohol, aren't into the pool games... we just wouldn't fit in :-) So I'm not really that concerned about the age range on the ships.

I did a bit of research still last night and found Hapag Lloyd cruises quite interesting. They're german, but so am I and my boyfriend speaks the language fluently, that wouldn't be an issue. Their cruises look great to me, unfortunately, the prices don't.

freezing...don't worry about trying to fit in. There are a lot of people looking for the same thing as you are. I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and some nice people suggested Celebrity and Oceania. Take care...

Archived