Passport: theirs came mine didn't

We applied for passports on March 1st. together. Family members all got theirs the same day last week. Mine is "processing" still. Did they forget about me? When applying at the same time do passports all come in the mail around the same time?

I'd call to see if THEY say it has been shipped. DH and I both received ours yesterday--separate envelopes from FED EX. The website still says mine is processing. Go figure...

And, don't bother with e-mail. They never responded to any of mine

We applied on May 2 for mine and my 2 DS, paid for expedited and express mail both ways for all 3. Mine and my 14 yr old's came in 9 days. Still waiting for the 16 yr old's. Can't get any answers on the phone they tell me they emailed the Houston office but the office has not responded. We leave June 10, glad I had 2 certified copies of the boys BC

My family of 4 applied on March 17th together. My 2 DDs and I got ours 5/25 but didn't get husband's yet. I checked online, but they never showed any but mine as being processed, but I did send an e-mail inquiry, and his is in process. I have always gotten a response to my e-mail inquiries, maybe it depends on which office is working on it. When I sent one for mine and my DDs, they sent the e-mail that they were mailed, and we got them the next day. Hopefully we will get his soon as we leave 6/14 for our 6/16 cruise. Good thing I have an extra BC just in case.

Good luck!

When sending in for your whole family to get passports did you need extra copies of you and your husband's BC? Our oldest should not need a copy of ours with his application but because he was born in Germany on a military base we have more hoops to jump through according to the website. I can't get anyone to answer my calls or emails. *sigh* We have an appointment Saturday morning at the post office to get everything mailed in. The lady there didn't sound like she knew much more than I do.

I'm confused.

Some of you have mentioned having appointments to file your passport applications. Why do you need appointments?

You can go to the Dept. of State website. Print out the application. Get your photos taken. Get your birth certificates. Complete the application, write the check and mail it.

We have had passports for decades and when we got our first, we did it all by mail. Each time we renewed, we did it totally by mail and never had any difficulty at all.

Why the appointments?

They have changed the rules. If it is your first time getting a passport or you have not had one in the last 15 years you must go to a passport center to swear that it is for you, you are you, etc. and send it in from there. Before this rush you didn't have to have an appointment. You could just show up but because so many are applying they now have you making appointments.

I'm confused.

Some of you have mentioned having appointments to file your passport applications. Why do you need appointments?

You can go to the Dept. of State website. Print out the application. Get your photos taken. Get your birth certificates. Complete the application, write the check and mail it.

We have had passports for decades and when we got our first, we did it all by mail. Each time we renewed, we did it totally by mail and never had any difficulty at all.

Why the appointments?

Doing it by mail is now taking 14-18 weeks. Some people don't have that much time, so they have to go to a passport center to do it in person.

Thanks, heymom.

Glad I asked. I didn't know they had changed the rules.

It's too bad so many waited so long to apply for their passports and now it takes so long. I hope everyone gets theirs in time for their planned travel.

With our situation we are having problems getting answers. We don't want to file the paperwork, pay the fee, just to have it returned to us saying it wasn't done right. *sigh* We just can't get through to anyone with knowledge and answers. We have been trying since booking our cruise with no luck. I'm wondering how many are like us.... child born in military hospital overseas so need questions about that answered....do we have to have multiple copies of husband and my BC so that there is a copy with each child's application as well as our own or can we send it all in together....prior military assigned to an overseas base so had a military passport but when we were assigned stateside the military took those away so do we have to have those passport numbers to give them on the application or not (it's been 15+ years since then)....if we have to have the old numbers how do we get them because the military never gave them to us (they just said hand them over so we did).....etc. Hubby said to keep the appointment for this Saturday and if we don't get answers we'll take a risk and send it all in hoping it works out. Good thing is that our cruise isnt' till 1-12-08 and it goes to US territories so we don't have to have them but would like to. Better safe than sorry.

That is confusing, heymom. Understandable why you'd like some guidance. Maybe you'll be lucky and someone here will have gone through it and be able to help.

Why not copy and paste your post on each of the CC forums. Hopefully someone on one of the boards will see and be able to tell you what they did to get their passports.

Good luck.

Let us know how it comes out - my granddaughter was born in Japan on the Navy base. Have been wondering how that will effect her getting things like passport, D/L etc. I have seen her birth certificate and it is written in Japanese - looks like a nice pc of art work!

PS - check on the passport website, there are several rural offices that are not as busy as the main ones. Also we had a friend who actually drove to Miami and walked hers through and got it the same day. I think you would have to go to one of the main ones for that. Good Luck

I was listening to Fox News earlier today and when they reported it is taking about 12 weeks to get Passports, one of the lady anchors said she renewed her passport recently. She paid an expediter to 'stand in line and process it for her'. She had it returned within two weeks.

Ok, we received an email from the passport website. We were told to put down on the application "Yes" for having received a passport then "sumitted" and on the line "military dependant". So we did as told. Guess we'll wait and find out in a few months if we were told correct.

My husband put "yes" for having a passport and then put "military" on the line plus his passport #. He did not turn his passport in though because it is military and in his military records folder at guard.

For our son who was born in Germany but on an american base we turned in his form 240 along with his application. We were allowed to keep his birth certificate since we only have to turn in one or the other. The lady at the post office made a copy of the 240 for us just incase it would get lost. It is not an official copy but at least we have the address and information to get a new one if needed.

We did not have to attach hubby and my BC to any of our children's passport applications. The lady incharge of the passport filing had a big Priority Mail envelope that she was putting the applications for that day into. Then at the end of the day she closes it up and sends it off. She told us it should be somewhere between 12-18 weeks to get our passports.

Archived