Need Help Booked Europe on Freedom

Bandit

I just booked the Carnival Freedom for late 2008. I need some help from all you people who have been on a European Cruise out of ROME. Please share your information with me. Because I have booked so early I do not have the answers to the following questions.

1. Do I use Carnivals air plan/hotel/transfers? Everyone is telling me I should.

2. How do you get from the hotel to the pier?

3. What time do you normaly fly out of Rome to the US? Is it a late morning flight or late evening flight?

4. Can anyone answer some other questions I have about the 12 day cruise?

If so can I give you my e-mail address and correspond with you?

I would appreciate any and all information one can share with me.

Thank You.

Bandit

1. Do I use Carnivals air plan/hotel/transfers? Everyone is telling me I should.

I never would - but price the air out, I am right now looking at booking the Splendour for a N. Europe cruise and prices I am finding into London are waaaaaay better than what Carnival is offering.

Depends on where your hotel is, but usually taxi is best.

3. What time do you normaly fly out of Rome to the US? Is it a late morning flight or late evening flight??

I would prefer the next morning and stay overnight before departing.

Hopefully, someone will respond, there is also a forum for Europe, you will find lots of information there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

Thank You.

Bandit

Have a great cruise - I love the Med!!!

I just booked the Carnival Freedom for late 2008. I need some help from all you people who have been on a European Cruise out of ROME. Please share your information with me. Because I have booked so early I do not have the answers to the following questions.

3. What time do you normaly fly out of Rome to the US? Is it a late morning flight or late evening flight?

Thank You.

Bandit

1)Yes I would and I would do a two or three night pre-stay in Rome via Carnival. We did 2nights last time and will do 3nights next summer

2) Carnival Bus

3) Usually evening I highly reccomend getting there two days in advance

4) I'll answer whatever questions you have on here not via email. I will tell you this. It's and incredible cruise

Thank You.

Bandit

I have been on the twelve day Carnival Europe cruise in September 2005 on the Liberty and will be on the Freedom this September.

Last time I used all the Carnival air, hotels and transfers. You can do it yourself and spend less if you plan ahead of time and aren't afraid to do it on your own.

You can hire a private transfer service to get to the pier from your hotel or visa versa. Also you can use them from the pier to the airport. Just check the forum for your sailing and see if someone may want to share the transfer and the cost with you. Usually if you have 4 or 6 persons sharing the transfer is best. From the airport to a hotel in Rome, again use a private transfer.

If you want to come back to the US the day you disembark, even Carnival will have you up early with most flights starting around 10 a.m. and forward. I bet you fly Delta from where you live so just check the schedules. Also remember when flying into Rome you leave the day before you want to arrive.

Feel free to e-mail me at ggargotta@comcast.net if you have any more questions/

1. Do I use Carnivals air plan/hotel/transfers? Everyone is telling me I should.I am one that always books with CCL for air and transfers. We booked CCL for our Liberty Med and had no problems.

2. How do you get from the hotel to the pier? We flew in the same day the cruise left port, when straight from Rome Airport to pier, by Bus. Was very impressed with the CCL staff at the Rome airport.

3. What time do you normaly fly out of Rome to the US? Is it a late morning flight or late evening flight? Our flight was early morning. We got off the ship by 6:00 am and to the airport with a flight at 9:00 am. No problems, very smooth disembarkation, with many buses waiting to be filled.

4. Can anyone answer some other questions I have about the 12 day cruise? Check the boards for Liberty Med, I have posted many answers to questions, just look for Redskin80

Thank You.

Bandit

Thiis was a great cruise, You will have a fabulous time.:)

Just an FYI - we did the 2 night precruise hotel stay in Rome. And didn't find out until we got there that on the third day (the day of embarkation) Carnival made us leave for the ship from our hotel early in the morning. We thought since the ship didn't leave until 7pm, we would get that whole day in Rome also. But instead we left for the ship by like 9am. So that day was kind of a waste.

Also the port is about an hour in normal traffic from Rome.

I went on the Libertys Grand Med itinerary last July, and the Greek/Turkey itinerary this past March. I would be happy to answer any questions you have eringoterps at gmail dot com

Thank You.

Bandit

First of all --congrats! and Yeah! Such an exciting trip.

I did the Liberty Med last June and I am doing the Freedom Med on 6/18 and the Splendor Northern on 8/30/08.

1. I used Carnival air because it was cheaper both times for the Med and it comes with the transfer. I had no problems last year. We had and have good flights and seats. I have Carnival Air booked for the Splendor right now but, may get my own air before final payment.(you can always cancel the air if you find a better deal) I spent 2 nights post cruise in Rome last year--no time for that this time around. Hotel was fine and in a good location. Probably could have found a cheaper hotel on my own but, it was easy to just do it all with Carnival. I fly in the day of the cruise also.(using cruiseline air and flying in the day of the cruise are hot topics of debate for some people--see cruise air board lol but, it has worked out for me so far)

2. you can either use the Carnival transfer or hire a private driver. count on 90 mins to get from Rome to pier.

3. I have and had a mid morning flight home from Rome. Evening flight out of US to Rome (arriving in am in Rome)

4.fire away or you can visit the Europe board. Also, check to see if there is a roll call for your cruise date. I have organized private tours with others on my cruise that way.

Mary

Wow:

I never expected to receive so much input to my request. You all are great. Thank you.

Since the cruise is over a year away I have lots of time to check out what you all have proposed.

I'm leaning towards arriving in Rome the night before the cruise and staying in a Carnival hotel. I will be traveling with people in the 65 to 79 year age. So I need to have my ducks in a row before we leave.

I was concerned about on disembarkation that we would have to wait 10 or 11 hours before we flew home. From what you guys tell me we will probably have a AM flight back to the states. That is good to hear. Does anyone know how long of a flight it is? Also what is the time difference between Atlanta and Rome?

How soon before the cruise does Carnival let you know what your flight arrangements are?

I have received two fantastic reviews on the Carnival Freedom and feel that I truly have made the right decision to book this cruise.

I guess it is pretty hectic on disembarkation day and getting to the airport and through security and all. It is the same for cruises out of the U.S.

Carnival is not booking hotels and or air at this time for the Oct 08 season. But you all have given me enough information to figure out cost and what to check on. Thank-you.

Bandit

I'm leaning towards arriving in Rome the night before the cruise and staying in a Carnival hotel. I will be traveling with people in the 65 to 79 year age. So I need to have my ducks in a row before we leave.~~~that is probably a good idea. I would assume that jet lag is a bit harder to deal with the older you get.~~

. Does anyone know how long of a flight it is? ~~about 9 hours~~Also what is the time difference between Atlanta and Rome?~~Rome is 6 hours ahead~~

How soon before the cruise does Carnival let you know what your flight arrangements are?~~it was around 40-45 days but, with the new e-docs they claim you can find out sooner~~**if you book air with Carnival you or your TA have to get your seat assignments. Carnival books you a seat on a flight but, they do not assign seats. Once you find out your air details you can get your seat assignment. Many people do not realize this and wait until the last minute. This can lead to people not sitting together on flights. **

Bandit

Enjoy the planning--it will be here before you know it.

We have done the Med. twice, once on a back to back on the Brilliance, this March on the Carnival Freedom. Both were fantastic trips, the Freedom also had the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. To your questions:

If you possibly can, try to spend at least 3 days in Rome precruise. We spent 7 days in Rome precruise with the Brilliance and 3 days precruise with the Freedom. Rome is beyond wonderful and to see all the sites (the Vatican/St. Peters could take you most of 1 day) and to enjoy just having capuccini, gelato and people watching you need some extended time. Consider some private tours - through eternity tours are good.

One warning about Rome, especially on the Metro is BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS. Every time we have been on the metro someone attempts something. You need to wear a money belt containing your credit cards, passport, money under your clothing with only enough money to get you through the day in a very secure, front pocket. The last attempt we experienced was from a very small, very pregnant (maybe fake) young Gypsy who was working with another person who created a diversion. They were not successful, but this was because we were vigilant.

Don't let this scare you off of Rome, though. It can happen anywhere in Europe and if you are careful and prepared you will not be a victim.

I wouldn't get the Carnival hotel - we stayed in a very well located and excellent hotel for a third the price Carnival was charging and it was within a block of the Carnival hotel. We booked very early on Expedia (which is why I think we got such a good deal) and had no problems. It is best to stay in the following areas which are close to all the sites: Spanish Steps, Prati (Vatican), Colisseum, Termini (termini is near the rail station). Research areas and hotels at the www.venere.com website and then go to www.tripadvisor.com to see reviews of hotels anywhere in the world (just type in the name of the hotel into the search part)

Carnival bus transport to the pier is available to you even if you do not take their hotel packages - you just have to be at one of their hotels at the appointed time, and reserve at least two weeks in advance. I believe it is about $75 per person

We took the train into Civitavecchia both trips. It costs 4 to 9 Euro one way and if you can minimize your luggage it is very doable. There are many posts telling you how to do it - go to the destination - Europe board.

We did take the CArnival transport fromt the pier to the airport on departure day - I would recommend this, it is fairly reasonable and well organized.

These boards are a wealth of info and with a bit of research, you will be well prepared for a great trip.

I'm set for the Med Cruise on Freedom 10-4-07 - any suggestions as to hotels for the two days BEFORE the cruise? Any suggestions of specific shore trips and/or companies for them? I know there is a lot to see but don't want to be on overload either.

We did the Liberty last August. Great cruise. We stayed at a Best Western near Termini which was clean and inexpensive since we needed 2 rooms including a triple but I would stay elsewhere if I could. There is a Santa Maria Hotel in Trastevere where my daughter stayed which she raved about. It is small and situated in an old monastary. It was a little pricey at about 200 Euros. I would definitely arrive in Rome a few days earlier to get over the jet lag. There were alot of Zombies walking around the ship.

We hired a limo to transport us to the ship from Rome. It is a long trip and expensive (around 160 Euros). There are several companies on line. We did the Carnival transfers to the airport after the cruise and I can only say that it was the smoothest and best orchestrated debarkation I ever experienced. We were off the ship by 6:30 and at the airport before 8 am. We had a 10:30 am flight. Carnival transfers were the first ones off.

This is a great cruise but a port intensive one. It requires alot of energy to meet for your excursion at 7 am. Also, the excursion costs add up quickly. I was generally pleased with the quality of the excursions but there were some rough spots. I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat. Enjoy!!!!!!

Wonderful hints and ideas you all are giving, we go next May and are heavy into trying to decide on flights and tours. Any one had any trouble in Turkey, I just saw on CNN that they had some kind of bombings there today. Also has anyone used Carnival's tours on arrival day before the ship leaves, sounds like a good use of time.

I don't know if others found this to be true but on our May '06 cruise passengers "seemed" to dress very nicely for dinner. So much so I felt under-dressed for dinner on regular nights. Formal nights weren't a problem because I brought formal wear. I guess I was expecting the slightly more casual dress you find on the Caribbean sailings.:rolleyes:

If you purchase the air package from Carnival there are a few benefits. Most having to do with if your plane is late or if the ship is late getting into port. This may not even be an issue if you are flying to the port a day or more early.

However, if you want to save, possibly hundreds of dollars per person, book it yourself from one of these two sites:

http://www.tickets-to-europe.com/specials/google/europeOnSale.php?gclid=CIzlxJnS04oCFQ3ESgodVzWjbw

http://www.flycheapabroad.com/default.aspx

or try

http://www.mobissimo.com/search_airfare.php

You will also need to handle your own transfers.

Also, don't be in too big of a hurry. Three - Six months in advance works well.

I was on the Freedom in March. We stayed out near the airport and arrived the day before. We had 4 Ladies with more luggage than we actually needed.(really watch your packing! Use the laundry) Make sure you have several euros in coin amounts as the exchange place near the arrival for luggage does not have single coins and the cart machine only takes single euros.

We tood USAir through Philly to Rome. We stayed at Courtyard By Marriott. After reading how small rooms are in Rome, we opted for a name brand hotel. once we got into our rooms we took a cab into Rome and got off at Trevi fountain. From there we walked to the Spanish Steps and the Hard Rock but took a cab to the Coliseum. We ate in Rome as there is really nothing near the hotel to eat. Carnival had a desk in the lobby for transport we also took carnival back to the airport after the cruise.

We did take the advice of our table mates, and on the day we had in port at the end of the tour, walked to the train station and took it into Rome. Carnival offered a Rome on your Own excursion (if you like being dropped off with a map and left to your own all day until the pick you up...Not) For 9 eruos you can take the train into Tremini and spend several hours in Rome..just make sure if you buy round trip ticket that you stamp it in the yellow machine before you board..they are at the beginning of the row your train is on. This is better,you can come and go as you please.

I did keep my money belt on when I was in ports next to my body. At no time did I feel unsafe. Most of the people speak english.

You hear of people smuggleing water and drinks onto the ship... we hit a little store in port and brough on water and sodas..no one stopped us. many others we bringing on water and sodas. They didn't take our wine we bought like they did when we went on the Imagination.

We did mostly carnival excursions...go to the tour talk before you make you plans. we turned two of ours back in, yeah we lost a little in the exchange...but We spent the day in Kataklon and had a blast in the little town.

If I could go back and redo anything on my cruise it would be two things...1) Not take the tour in Istanbul and Athens. we had very little time to shop on the carnival tours.

2) not get sick. I caught a cold in Athens and by the time we got to the end of the crusie I was really sick. $5.95 for 6 little sample packs of Sudafed was outragious.

Enjoy your cruise..I have lived my dream of going to Europe.

Alice Faye

I don't know if others found this to be true but on our May '06 cruise passengers "seemed" to dress very nicely for dinner. So much so I felt under-dressed for dinner on regular nights. Formal nights weren't a problem because I brought formal wear. I guess I was expecting the slightly more casual dress you find on the Caribbean sailings.:rolleyes:

I agree the dress was more what I expected from a European cruise. I wore skirts and nice shirt or dresses each night no capris this time. Formal night was very dressy, had DH purchase a suit just because and I am glad that I did. He wore his Dockers and nice dress shirts for dinner. The dress code seemed to be adhered to for this cruise more than any other CCL ship in the carribean.

Archived