Ayers Rock

LibLively

We are going on a cruise of Australia and New Zealand in October and November of next year. We are cruising the west side of Austalia in mid-November and we want to go to Ayers Rock from one of our ports. First question: Is it going to be too hot to enjoy going to Ayers Rock at that time? Question two: Can we fly from Albany by private charter to Ayers Rock (We will be traveling with 6 other people) or would we do better to fly from Albany to Perth and then fly to Ayers Rock from there by commercial or private charter? Albany doesn't seem to have many airlines flying in or out (I've only found SkyWest) and the one flight I've found doesn't connect with a flight from Perth to Ayers Rock (small problem). We want to fly from Albany because we don't want to miss any time in Adelaide, although we know Adelaide has better flights to Ayers Rock. Any suggestions or advice? Anyone ever done a private charter who might have an idea of the cost of a trip from albany to Ayers Rock?

A private charter from Albany to Ayres Rock will be expensive as a long-range capable aircraft would be required (possibly a jet).

Perhaps a private charter from Albany to Perth, in time to catch the 10.00am flights to Ayers Rock (about A$285 each way in mid November)

Did you expect to do the return trip in the one day? If so, you would have 1 hour at Ayres Rock.

No we were planning on spending two nights. Our ship doesn't get into Albany until late afternoon, and only spends 4 hours there, so we miss the one flight out of Albany to Perth which is only in the morning, I believe. We were going to rejoin the ship in Adelaide after it has two days at sea. Should we consider staying one night in Albany and then going to Perth and Ayers Rock the next morning? We'd only have one evening in Ayers Rock then, and I thought that a day and a half might not be enough. Any ideas? I just can't imagine going to Australia without seeing Ayers Rock. Am I trying too hard to make this work?

Depending on what date you are in Albany, there appears to be a morning, afternoon(4.34pm) and evening flight(7.55pm) to Perth.

Overnight in Perth, 10.30am flight to Ayres Rock ... there at 1.00pm .... afternoon tour of the Olgas ... Dinner under the stars .... morning tour around The Rock ... 2.00pm flight to Adelaide (via Perth) ... or 10.ooam flight the next morning.

We're in Albany November 12th. I could only find a SkyWest flight from Albany to Perth in the morning and our ship doesn't arrive until afternoon in Albany. We could make the flight around 4 from Albany to Perth, and then like you say, spend the night in Perth and go on to Albany the next morning. Are the flights you're speaking of on SkyWest? If not, which airline? Thanks for your help.

Thanks Vozzie!! You're a lifesaver! Looking forward to visiting your country. Been trying to get there for years!!!! Now that hubby has retired, we have plenty of time to enjoy long vacations, and I think our Australia-New Zealand one will be the first of many.

Kaz,

I went to the page and "what a rock!" I'm afraid we're going to miss too much of Australia to make one visit suffice, so looks like we may have to do another trip to fill in all the gaps. We're also going to miss the Great Barrier Reef, as our cruise just goes around the western side.....so we KNOW we have to come back for that some time, too. Already preparing a list of "must sees" for the next trip!!! Thanks for the info...the rock is now on our list!

I think Ayers Rock is probably the most impractical place to try and visit on a cruise. You couldn't pick a place further from any coast. It would be like trying to visit Kansas City on a cruise.

Having said that, if you really want to go to Ayers Rock, I think it would be easier to get to from Adelaide. Also, I think one night there would suffice. There's not much out there except the Rock. But the sunsets are spectacular.

I think you would be much better trying to see all the beautiful sights around the ports you will visit and it will be a lot less stressful.

Without knowing the actual price, I can tell you a private charter will cost an arm and a leg.:)

Mochuck,

We wouldn't miss any ports. We would leave the ship in Albany (where the ship only stays 4 hours) and go to Ayers Rock and rejoin the ship two days later in Adelaide after missing only 2 sea days....no ports!! We'd be in Adelaide at the same time as the ship so wouldn't miss Adelaide either. We don't want to go from Adelaide because we want to see that port and do a tour in the wine country. I don't mind giving up 2 sea days to see The Rock!

• 1 month later...

If you are traveling with Holland America they offer a package that will take to Ayers Rock and Alice Springs. It will not be cheap, but it might be preferable to making these arrangements on your own. From my understanding even the cruise lines have a difficult time making these arrangements.

Archived