How Concerned Should I Be With Celebrity Air?

cujosmom

I would put the blame on your TA for not giving you the whole picture. When we started cruising we also used cruiseline air. That's the way the travel agent told us its done. We also paid extra for air deviation. Once we became more savy travelers, thanks to sites like this, we started to always book our own air and just take taxis to/from ports. It saves lots of money, lots of time and lets you be in control. Again, with advice from these boards and people we meet on cruises, we now use a travel agent who not only really knows all the ropes, but we get large discounts also. It just takes time. Don't beat yourself up. You'll know better next time. I started this thread because we ARE using their air this time for our Brazil cruise. We're using it because there was a huge airfare + transfer sale that is saving us over $1000 if we booked our own air + transfers. The ride from the airport to the port is about 1 hour, in a foreign country, so we decided to give it a try. I just heard from our travel agent and she said we got our requested air deviation flights. We don't have to pay the air deviation fee because we are "select" members, but we are paying an additional $80 per person for the flights we chose. Still saving close to $1000 pp so its fine...especially because we're flying direct from NY to Brazil.

Sounds reasonable to me but I would feel better if I also could say I am saving money. I've checked the airlines and even at this late date ALL the airfares are far lower than what Celebrity is charging me. I actually think the TA made a boo boo. Lets see if she does anything about it.

It was highly suggested that I let Celebrity do all my work for me. All that talk about being responsible for getting us to the ship on time! I believed it all. As I am aware of how business works I can't believe paying double for the air fare is fair. Also the whole story is we are on the cruisetour starting in Anchorage so the only transfers are from airport to hotel. I also found in the docs that if you book your own air and tell Celebrity the transfers are complimentary. Not a good start for my first cruise with Celebrity AND my first time with this TA.

Given the fact people often grumble about air arrangements made through the cruise line, a red flag would raise in my mind if it was the TA who "highly suggested" using Celebrity's air. The exception would be specific itineraries where the cruise line was offering an exceptional "deal" on the air, such as is often the case with South America and Hawaii itineraries. But it doesn't sound like that was the case with your Alaska trip. Do you think the TA simply took the "easy road" by suggesting Celebrity handle your air? If so, I'd probably shop for a different TA the next time around.

It was highly suggested that I let Celebrity do all my work for me. All that talk about being responsible for getting us to the ship on time! I believed it all. As I am aware of how business works I can't believe paying double for the air fare is fair. Also the whole story is we are on the cruisetour starting in Anchorage so the only transfers are from airport to hotel. I also found in the docs that if you book your own air and tell Celebrity the transfers are complimentary. Not a good start for my first cruise with Celebrity AND my first time with this TA.

As a general rule, transfers are NOT complimentary IF you book your own air. You have to pay the cruise line for the transfers. They ARE complimentary with a cruise tour (not really, you pay for them in the increased hotel and air charges). On a cruise tour, the transfer from the hotel to the tour SHOULD be complimentary. But definitely NOT on self booked air TO the hotel.

Your TA makes MORE money booking the entire package than booking items piecemeal. A LOT of TA's encourage package booking for the additional commission. Don't blame X-find a new TA.

And don't believe the poppycock that the cruise line will get you to the cruise. THEY WILL-what they don't tell you is you may miss 1/2 or more of your cruise BEFORE they can get you there. And it is a loooong hard struggle to get your money back IF you don't have very good independent trip insurance.

You learned a hard lesson. Don't beat yourself up. Isn't that is what life is about-all those lessons learned??? Enjoy your cruise and KNOW that you will be wiser next time around.

You are so RIGHT!!!!

Like SandyR5 said, I think mamabear, papabear and any kiddybear(s) should just take this as a learning experience, have a great cruise and tour, and you'll do things differently next time!

Sometimes the cruise air works fine, sometimes mediocre. I just finalized (yesterday) Galaxy Eastern Med on 8/3. Although I am elite status did not use custom air. The regular cruise air was best fare i could find and TA got Delta non-stops from JFK at times that worked perfectly. I was mentally prepared for a stop over in Paris or London on the return but was pleasantly surprised. The same day the Delta web site price was 500 bucks more for same seat so i am one very happy cruiser today. Other trips you are more the bug than the windshield.

Archived