Parking & embarking @ San Pedro

Eytbol8

I will be departing from San Pedro pier on Golden Princess in October. Anyone have feedback on the parking (and leaving your car there a week), as well as feedback on the embarking process?

We haven't been able to park in front of the cruise ships in recent years, even tho' you can see lots of empty spaces. We park in the lot where you can take the boat to Catalina; it's to the left of the pier area for our ships. There's usually a bus that comes by to help you with luggage, but we can generally just wheel ours to wherever we need to be. You could unload a passenger with the luggage in front of your ship.

We've found boarding there pretty typical - we get there about 11:30 and are usually on the ship by noon. (If you need to use the bathroom, it's before security).

Here's what many people do: the driver drops off passengers and luggage at the loading zone. Then the driver drives down to the parking lot, and takes the shuttle back to the terminal. The distance may even be walkable. After handing over luggage to a porter (probably with a tip), you all will walk into the building. If the checking in process has begun, you will be directed to the right line. After wards, if the ship isn't ready, you'll be given a number for getting onto the ship. The usual security checkpoint, embarkation photo, and the official photo for your cabin key...and you're on the ship. It's unusual that your cabin wouldn't be ready by this time and you can go right to your cabin.

After the cruise, reverse the order: driver goes pick up car, picks up passengers and luggage and then it's to the exit with $12 per day to hand over (unless it's gone up since my last time at San Pedro which was in early May 2006 for a ship's tour).

For our last cruise, we did use a car service as 15 days worth of luggage was not going to fit in our small trunk. We got to the pier at 12:15 and was in our cabin with carryons unpacked by 1:15.

I will be departing from San Pedro pier on Golden Princess in October. Anyone have feedback on the parking (and leaving your car there a week), as well as feedback on the embarking process?

I am also on the golden princess in october. I bid 65.00 on a 3 star hotel in san pedro on priceline, and am staying at the crown plaza, where you can leave your car and a shuttle will take you too the pier. Also, the doubletree san pedro lets you park and sail. I bid 70.00 and got that one for the last cruise. after taxes and fees its about 80.00 to 85.00 and I am not sure, but crown plaza may charge 5.00 a day for park. But, that is a lot cheaper than paying the almost 15.00 a day to pak at the port.

Here is the port. The Golden will dock where the Monarch is. You can park in either lot. Last time I was there it was $12 per day ($96 for a week) and they take credit cards ...

Overview.jpg

SanPedroaerial.jpg

SanPedro.jpg

Parking at the port is $12/day. If the Golden is the only ship in port, you'll embark at Pier 93 (where Monarch is in Cuizer's fabulous picture), which is the new, modern facility and very easy to navigate - you go up an escalator to the check in area, get your cruise card and then go through security to embark. If there are other ships in port, you may be shunted to the older facility, where you have to go through security before checking in, with the result that you could end up in a long line outside the terminal building.

Archived