Punch and Judy Museum in London

We are spending a week in London after our Princess cruise this July/August. My DH is a huge Punch and Judy fan - is there a museum dedicated to them - goodness knows, there seems to be museums for everything else. I'd really love to surprise him by taking him to one. Any suggestions would be a boon as a search ont he Internet offers info, but I tend to trust my fellow CCers

Thanks!

Charlie

Dear Charlie

Further to your question re the above, there are Punch and Judy exhibits at the newly refurbished Museum of Childhood (run by the Victoria and Albert Museum) in Bethnal Green, East London. I went there a fair few years ago with Charlotte and it was a fascinating afternoon with a special exhibit entitled the Seaside. The museum shut down for a couple of years and has just reopened and is supposed to be fantastic. Whether you would have time to visit with your tight schedule, I don't know! I am not sure whether the London Theatre Museum in Covent Garden which closed down at the beginning of the year, with all contents transferred to the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington, has Punch and Judy exhibits - I can't remember! I certainly remember going to the Punch and Judy shows at the seaside when I was young and really enjoying the violence of Punch!!!!

Regards.

Cathyxxx

Thanks, Cathy! A trip to the Victoria and Albert museum is in the mix, so we may kill two birds with one stone. Chris has always loved commedia and his favorite "Are You Being SErved" episode is a The Punch and Judy Affair" - he's just fascinated with it, so I thought it would be great if he could see something close up. I fear I would end up at the policeman just so I could whack someone!

Charlie

Archived