Mt Biking

Noswad53

• 4 weeks later...
Haven't done the excursion, but having been to the island, I'd say you'd better be in pretty good shape! There aren't too many flat areas on St. Lucia!

I am a marathon runner and bike all the time. Just wondered how the excursion was. Thanks for the comment.

We did a St. Lucia mt. biking excursion through Princess in Nov. It was one of the best tours we took the entire cruise. I don't know how many companies offer mt. biking on the island and don't recall the name of this one, but they did an excellent job.

They picked us up in a bus at the terminal. I think there were about 20 or 30 on the tour. It took about an hour to get to the site where we biked. Our guide was very fun and informative. He told us about the island and it's people and flora. I liked that he was pretty straightforward and didn't paint a rosy picture for the tourists. He talked about the problems but was generally upbeat. He did not miss an opportunity to tell us how much better St. Lucia was than Jamaica!

Along the way we stopped at scenic overlooks and for him to jump out and pick local fruits and vegetables. He picked a cocoa pod, shaved bark off a cinnamon tree and other indigenous spices and thing. It was really cool to see where we get everyday things like chocolate and spices.

We got to the the actual bike outfitter and mounted up. The bikes were all pretty new and in good condition, albeit well used. Everyone got a helmet and the standard safety talk. No one had any equipment problems. We rode uphill a short distance to an area where we stopped, dismounted and then hiked a short way into the rain forest to a waterfall. We splashed in the pool and hung out for a half-hour or 45 minutes before returning to our bikes.

The rest of the trip was downhill with just a little peddling to top small hills. There were a couple of tricky, sharp downhill turns where we stopped and he coached us how to negotiate them. No one fell or wiped out. After another half hour or so downhill we stopped at a little bar where you could but beer or soft drinks before reboarding the bus for the ride home.

On the way back he answered everyone's questions and gave more running commentary on things pertaining to the island. If you're looking to do some hard core biking, you might be disappointed. It was all pretty easy and undemanding but a great way to see the island up close.

I think the price was about $60 and was well worth it. If anyone has questions or wants to see photos, let me know.

Your old pal,

Joe

We did a St. Lucia mt. biking excursion through Princess in Nov. It was one of the best tours we took the entire cruise. I don't know how many companies offer mt. biking on the island and don't recall the name of this one, but they did an excellent job.

They picked us up in a bus at the terminal. I think there were about 20 or 30 on the tour. It took about an hour to get to the site where we biked. Our guide was very fun and informative. He told us about the island and it's people and flora. I liked that he was pretty straightforward and didn't paint a rosy picture for the tourists. He talked about the problems but was generally upbeat. He did not miss an opportunity to tell us how much better St. Lucia was than Jamaica!

Along the way we stopped at scenic overlooks and for him to jump out and pick local fruits and vegetables. He picked a cocoa pod, shaved bark off a cinnamon tree and other indigenous spices and thing. It was really cool to see where we get everyday things like chocolate and spices.

We got to the the actual bike outfitter and mounted up. The bikes were all pretty new and in good condition, albeit well used. Everyone got a helmet and the standard safety talk. No one had any equipment problems. We rode uphill a short distance to an area where we stopped, dismounted and then hiked a short way into the rain forest to a waterfall. We splashed in the pool and hung out for a half-hour or 45 minutes before returning to our bikes.

The rest of the trip was downhill with just a little peddling to top small hills. There were a couple of tricky, sharp downhill turns where we stopped and he coached us how to negotiate them. No one fell or wiped out. After another half hour or so downhill we stopped at a little bar where you could but beer or soft drinks before reboarding the bus for the ride home.

On the way back he answered everyone's questions and gave more running commentary on things pertaining to the island. If you're looking to do some hard core biking, you might be disappointed. It was all pretty easy and undemanding but a great way to see the island up close.

I think the price was about $60 and was well worth it. If anyone has questions or wants to see photos, let me know.

Your old pal,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Hey Thanks for the info. Yeah I was hoping for some demanding trails but some of my party would not enjoy that. Thanks.. Any pics would be helpful send links or pics to Jdawson @woh.rr.com 2 weeks from today we should be on this adventure.

Noswad53

Archived