Will we be able to leave Friday (Aug 13)

We are booked on the Sovereign to leave Port Canaveral Friday Aug 13 (tomorrow) and are concerned about the weather.

I know that Nassau will be ok - but we are concerned about the ship leaving (or for that matter the Sovereign being able to get in Friday AM) Friday afternoon.

Anyone else encounter this type of weather, as they were getting ready to leave? Any 8/13 Sovereign passengers out there?

We are planning to drive this afternoon from SC to Daytona area, and then get to Port Canaveral Friday AM

Marci

The Port Authority has a scheduled meeting today to decide whether to close the port. I am monitoring local channel and will let you know if I hear anything significant. . .

That being said, I DON'T expect they will close the port tomorrow. The county has announced they have no plans to cancel school, or to issue evacuation orders for the barrier islands. They are considering opening 'special needs' shelters only - for those who have special health needs or who live in mobile homes in low lying areas.

Of course, if Charley makes a severe change in course, that could also change.

Flamingoson –

Thanks for the update. I looked at the Port web site last night but did not see anything about the storms

We are driving most of the way this afternoon/early evening (I-95) and the last 100 miles or so Friday.

If we hit very hard weather, we’ll stop sooner than planned and get an earlier start on Friday. Yet another reason for heading out the day prior.

Looks like Nassau ill be fine – it is just getting there…..

Marci

Might want to check into affixing some pontoons to your vehicle. ;)

I just checked the NOAA weather site for the projected paths of both Bonnie and Charley. You might want to have a look, too. I don't think the port here will be as much a problem for you a will be covering the territory between here and there.

a bit more info: Five Central Florida counties have now announced schools will be closed tomorrow. How this affects you: I-95 does not go through any of them, however, your route will be through counties that are adjacent to three of those five.

Come to Jacksonville tonite! Right now the sun is still mostly shining and I think we are expecting our worst weather tomorrow night (whch by then will leave Pt Canaveral in the clear). I think the west side of town is starting to see some rain, but if you are coming down 95 and go farther south of the airport you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived