Miracle: ? About Coming Into Port

For those who have done the itinerary on Miracle out of NYC, I'm curious for each port what side of the ship you would need to be on to for a good view. Do they pull in the same way each time, or can it change? According to our luggage tags, our balcony cabin is on the starboard side of the ship, and I'm wondering what kind of views we'll have as we pull into port.

TIA...

The ships dock differently -- sometimes head in and sometimes head out. I guess it depends on the day? I did this trip last October, and to be honest, I don't think there was a great view in any direction in San Juan. The city was straight ahead of us. I don't think there is a bad view in St. Thomas or Tortola, so I think you will be fine no matter where you are!

Last year on Legend, in San Juan we docked starboard side to the dock, in St. Thomas starboard side to, and in Tortola port side to. When you're coming into San Juan, the best view is on the port side - you'll pass by El Morro and Old San Juan on that side. Both sides have good views in St. Thomas.

Sailing from New York - departing, you'll have Manhattan to port, New Jersey/Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island to starboard - reverse on the return. Go up to one of the highest decks as you sail under the Verazzano-Narrows Bridge for a great view. If you're taking pictures, your best pictures of Manhattan will be when you're departing, and your best pictures of the Statue/Ellis Island will be when you return - the sun will be behind you.

I have photos from Legend last year at http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552284663QoMIjG?start=48

We just came off the Miracle about 2 weeks ago. The ship was facing the city when we embarked so you would have to be on the right side of the ship to see the statue of liberty during sail away because it backed out and then turned. However, the time of day that it leaves, the sun creates a problem with the way you can see it so the view on the return trip is MUCH better especially for taking pictures.

In San Juan, you could be docked on either side of the ship but if you lido deck of higher at the front, you will see it all.

In St. Thomas, we docked with the dock on the right of us but as stated, this could vary. If there were many ships in port, you could even be doing the away from a dock. I agree that the views of St. Thomas and Totola are great no matter which side you're on although in St. Thomas, if you are docked where we were with the dock on the right, the view of the city is better on the left. Tortola you are facing head on with views on both sides.

For those of you that aren't familiar with NY and want the best views, remember, that the statue of liberty and downtown Manhattan can not be seen on the same side of the ship. On sail away, the city will be on the left of the ship and the statue of liberty on the right and reversed when returning. You can get some amazing pictures though.

I have a bunch on our website if you want to see sort of which area you would want to be on. Here's the link.

http://www.prucha.com/modules.php?name=Cruise_Mania

Anne

Archived