2 Way-Radios/Walkie Talkies/RFS -- do they work on ship?

Bernbun29

Just got off the Coral recently and they worked great (borrowed a set from a friend) although a couple of times my husband heard someone else's response instead of mine. We tried renting them on a ship in the past and they didn't work at all...or at least not until we were actually facing each other...

Try to find some with multiple channels. That way you won't have so many problems with others on the same frequnecy. We do keep them turned down and only use them to locate each other. For example on sea says I'm up early to grab breakfast and a chair looking out on the ocean. When my hubby finally gets up and eats he'll then call me on the walkie to find me. It works great. We are able to do our own thing, but find each other when we want to grab lunch together, go to a show etc.

Radio Waves are absorbed and deflected by Steel.

Walkie Talkies are wonderful in many communication needs. DO you have a licence yet?

With cell phones usages as well do you use a Head Set and Boom mike, ear buds? ?

Hands free and less intereference with others around you.

Princess is really not technically advanced yet . They dont even have in room accounts status and payemt services...

Carnival and all her lines, Princess is one now will have OnBaord Intra Cellular abilities once the Ships are Optically Wired..

I hope by then they come out of the ICe Ages and do Computerise tehre in Room Monitors so payments are and shall be intraactive and simplify the process so many others have and had..

yES WALKIE TALKIES ARE SO MUCH EASIER THAN SENDING sYMAPHORE

My dh and I keed in contact (if needed) via cell phone -- do 2 way radios/walkie talkies, etc work on cruise ships? I tried to search for this answer but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

My dh and I keed in contact (if needed) via cell phone -- do 2 way radios/walkie talkies, etc work on cruise ships? I tried to search for this answer but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Here's our experience: Grand class yes, in most areas. Sun class no, not at all. Our theory is that the Sun class ships had more metal in the way, the design didn't work. But whatever the reason, they didn't work there.

We only used them to track each other down, not for long conversations (to avoid disturbing other people) and never during shows, dinner, etc.

Performance will be spotty & channels will be busy. There will be areas that they work, but please remember that they generally are obnoxious to fellow passengers. From the beeping to loud volumes to people reading the dinner menu to their partner still back in the cabin, people have seen it all.

We usually take walkie talkies. We travel as a family and its a great way to stay connected and still do our own thing. Also, we often take our grandson to breakfast (well everywhere) and my DD just calls us on the walkie talkie and we meet up. Great for on the shore too. We had two rental cars and were able to talk to each other without using cell phones and avoided expensive roaming fees. Like anything, being sensitive of when and where to use them (and how loudly) is just using common sense.

We have tried them but find them more trouble than they are worth to keep in touch with the kids. There are so many people using them, you may get a response, but it might not be from the person you are trying to reach.....hard to find a free channel, lots of dead space, breaking up....sounds like a good idea but we leave them home now and just arrange a meeting place a few times a day....:confused:

Wow, I'm sorry I asked this question :p

I'm glad I know to not bring them, I can understand how they could be a problem -- I too hate to hear people "screaming" on cell phones in public places!

Looking forward to our curise!!!!

Archived