NCL Pearl vs. Holland America Oosterdam?

bhamcruzer

Two years ago I went on the Sapphire Princess RT from Seattle to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria. We picked terrible shore excursions except at Skagway, but we enjoyed ourselves despite that. So...we're thinking about heading back this summer...These are the two we have it down two, the NCL Pearl or the Holland America Oosterdam. The Pearl has the same ports as before, but it goes to Glacier Bay. The Oosterdam goes to Sitka instead of Skagway, and also goes to the Hubbard Glacier. Any thoughts from anyone on which we should pick? Hubbard Glacier vs. Glacier Bay? Sitka vs. Skagway? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

These are very different cruise ship experiences. The NCL is much more casual and freestyle works great in Alaska. HAL is a winner with their Alaska ship programs and ship naturalist- no naturalist on NCL. Also superb deck space. Crappy on the Pearl for front viewing.

Overall, both would give you a great time. Go with the cheapest??

They are the same price...What's your recommendation? I guess the sticking points are whether Sitka is better than Skagway, and if Glacier Bay is better than Hubbard Glacier.

My opinion only- for me- HAL. The priority would be for a boat tour out of Sitka to St. Lazaria- independent operator. Only edge to my choice.

Itinerary is a matter of personal preference. Frankly, in regards to your enjoyment of the stops, a lot of it depends also on luck and how the weather/glaciers are acting that particular day.

I'd pick Holland for the cruise service and food. My parents were on the Pearl about a month ago. Complained at how horrible the food and service was. Since they don't go to fancy restaurants, service musta been pretty crappy. My dad's a human garbage disposal and my mom's a pretty bad cook, so if they couldn't stand the food, that's kinda frightening. They've been on several cruises on different lines and they said the Pearl was their worst experience by far. They liked the idea of all those different restaurants and anytime dining, but they thought the execution was horrible.

Itinerary is a matter of personal preference. Frankly, in regards to your enjoyment of the stops, a lot of it depends also on luck and how the weather/glaciers are acting that particular day.

I'd pick Holland for the cruise service and food. My parents were on the Pearl about a month ago. Complained at how horrible the food and service was. Since they don't go to fancy restaurants, service musta been pretty crappy. My dad's a human garbage disposal and my mom's a pretty bad cook, so if they couldn't stand the food, that's kinda frightening. They've been on several cruises on different lines and they said the Pearl was their worst experience by far. They liked the idea of all those different restaurants and anytime dining, but they thought the execution was horrible.

I was probably on the same Pearl sailing, and have a totally different food view. Overall very good. ALL lines have dropped a couple notches in the food department, but cruises are the cheapest bargain going. You can't expect that luxury any more.

I just got off the Pearl and LOVED LOVED LOVED it all. The ship is so beautiful and brand new. I LOVE the casual atmosphere. I love not dressing up when I do not want to and eating when and where I want. I LOVED eating at the different restaurants and NEVER had any trouble reserving a table at any of the times I wanted where ever we wanted to eat. We loved all the ports.

The Pearl may not have a natuarist but it does have three of the Glacier Bay Park Rangers that gets on the ship and talks about every thing in the bay and tells you what you are seeing. One on the microphone talking over the ship. The two others were in the lounge answering any and all questions. They all did lectures and taught a lesson at the kids area too.

We Loved ALL the food. I have been on several cruise ships (not Holland Amer). This was by far the best food we have ever had. Even the buffet which is usually crappy food was WONDERFUL. I ate there a lot just b/c I like the variety and it was actually good. That is not my feelings about some of the other ships I have been on. I like not being tied down to a certain time and place to eat.

So it is all totally a personal choice. Depends if you want to be more relaxed and casual or more fancy and "elegant".

After this cruise we decided our next cruise will for sure be NCL and nobody else.

I just got off the Pearl and LOVED LOVED LOVED it all. The ship is so beautiful and brand new. I LOVE the casual atmosphere. I love not dressing up when I do not want to and eating when and where I want. I LOVED eating at the different restaurants and NEVER had any trouble reserving a table at any of the times I wanted where ever we wanted to eat. We loved all the ports.

The Pearl may not have a natuarist but it does have three of the Glacier Bay Park Rangers that gets on the ship and talks about every thing in the bay and tells you what you are seeing. One on the microphone talking over the ship. The two others were in the lounge answering any and all questions. They all did lectures and taught a lesson at the kids area too.

We Loved ALL the food. I have been on several cruise ships (not Holland Amer). This was by far the best food we have ever had. Even the buffet which is usually crappy food was WONDERFUL. I ate there a lot just b/c I like the variety and it was actually good. That is not my feelings about some of the other ships I have been on. I like not being tied down to a certain time and place to eat.

So it is all totally a personal choice. Depends if you want to be more relaxed and casual or more fancy and "elegant".

After this cruise we decided our next cruise will for sure be NCL and nobody else.

Thanks for the review!

i haven't been on the NCL pearl, did the NLC star...but agree with all the comments. i love casual..it was such a plus to not dress up and just be able enjoy yourself, the family and the ports.

my DH says the same thing...if i want to go on a cruise again, it had better be NCL.

our service was above and beyond and food was very good to outstanding. when FIL needed to eat at 3PM it was no problem at all..

We just got off the Pearl and had a great time. We usually ate at the Garden Cafe- very casual and thought the food was great there and we are foodies from San Francisco. We preferred the selection to the dining rooms. Having been to Alaska twice before I would say that the Hubbard Glacier was the highlight of both trips visiting it and we found Glacier Bay boring by comparison. We prefered Skagway to Sitka. It is a nice little town. We weren't that thrilled by the White Rail Train, there were some nice views, but it seemed long for 3 hours. At Sitka the Raptor center was interesting but thought that the Archangel dancers were very corny and were antsy to leave the performance. The town creeped us out. It seemed like the set of the old TV show Northern Exposure. They have Russian souvenirs at the other ports as well. The second time we went to Sitka we didn't even get off the ship. My personal opinion though and I am sure others feel differently.

Personally, I preferred Hubbard Glacier. Much more impressive. I, also, found Glacier Bay beautiful, but boring. HAL's new bedding is awesome. That makes the diff to us. We'll return to Alaska next summer on HAL again. Loved it all.

Jan

Archived