White Pass Train or Rental Car?

MeganMamaw

There is a group of six that want to do the White's Pass excursion. Is it better to take the train or rent a car. We have checked out Chilkoot Charters for the train up and bus back tour and it sounds great but we would like your input.

Also is there a good tour for bearing viewing in Ketchikan, Skagway or Juneau? We really want to see wildlife especially bears. We are leaving August 25th from Vancouver and our ages 53-60 yrs. old.

Thanks for all of your help! It has been great reading the forum and getting information. Especially since I am all 6 of us with excursions.

I do think the combo bus/train tours are just excellent. The train is loaded with history and a must do for rail fans. They are costly, so some may have more interest than other's and for that I would encourage the "group" to split up and go with their priority. Rent your VAN now, call them direct for availablity.

Avis Rent A Car

3rd Avenue in the Westmark Hotel

P.O. Box 361

Skagway, AK 99840

(phone) 800-331-1212 or 907-983-2247

(fax) 907-983-2753

As for bear viewing, you are going peak for Traitor's Cove and Neet's Bay out of Ketchikan. Both fly ins, look for availability via shore excursion list for both or independent for Traitor's.

We're just back from our 05/21 SB on the Island Princess. We did the train to Fraser and bus back,and we thought it was great !!! However ,now that we've been and have seen how easy the drive and road is,I think if we're ever lucky enough to be able to go back we would definitely rent and do the drive on our own. Being able to start/stop as you please for all of the wonderful photo opportunities would be really nice. Either way , you really cant go wrong. Its a simply beautiful,not to be missed area.

We did the bus-only trip our first time there. On our second trip we rented a car from Avis. We enjoyed the second trip much more. On the bus we stopped only a few times but in the car we could take our time and stop as often as we wanted to stop (which was often!). There were 4 of us so we save many $$$. The cost of the rental car (gas and all) was just $100 while the bus trip was over $150pp. We didn't take the train because it was even more expensive. I'd go for the car but rent it NOW particularly if you want a van. You have to call to reserve a van since you can't reserve one online. It is an easy drive and you can get a mile-by-mile guide online which gives you all the history and details of the drive.

Just rented a car a couple of weeks ago and I highly recommend it. Saw a black bear by the side of the road and stopped and made a short video and sat there as long as he did. A bus stopped on the other side of the road for about 30 seconds and left. we stopped and played in snow and got out at Emerald lake and anywhere else that caught our eye. Pulled off at a boat lauch so we could get a good close up look at a partially frozen lake from up close. As far as cost goes it is no contest. We paid about $70 for a Chevy Impala that had alot of room.

I vote for the car too. Tons of snow all over right now... One of the big lakes is still frozen too. Tons of waterfalls all over. Emerald Lake is just beautiful. You do not see that on the train. It is much faster even with stopping whenever you want to.

Never done the train. I am sure it has it big highlights too. Also if you are into trains or the gold rush history that may be better options. Even though there is a lot of that history to read and learn about in town too.

Archived