1st River Cruise-Rhine or Christmas Markets?

lagbunch8

I am planning a river cruise for my husband and myself.(probably 2008) Which cruise do you think would be a better first river cruise? The Christmas markets look fantastic but, would it be wiser to cruise in summer and see the castles? Thanks for any imput!

Mary

That is such a personal choice. But for our first river cruise we chose the Christmas Markets on the Danube, Prague-Vienna with Uniworld River Empress. We think it was a great choice and loved the trip. Our second choice was the Rhine Castle trip and although we loved it too, we preferred the smaller towns along the Danube and the Christmas markets just made it so festive.

Without a doubt, for your first cruise go in the summer. A Christmas market cruise is great, very festive, etc. However, it will be cold and daylight hours are slim-sun came up about 8:00 am and it was dark around 5:30 pm. We could not see many of the castles on the Rhine due to the gloomy weather and it was late afternoon as well. Also, visiting the markets is the primary reason for the trip, so you have less time to explore the towns.

You will see so much more on a summer cruise. A good first cruise would be from Budapest to Prague. Both cities are wonderful, and deserve extra days added to the cruise tour. The towns and senery along the Danube are wonderful. So beautyful!

My only regret of the Christmas market cruise was the lack of seeing things because of the darkness(I'm a photo nut too) and I vowed to return in the summer, which we did the next year.

My first trip to Europe was a Christmas Market river trip along the Rhine. Since I had never been there in the summer I didn't have anything to compare it to, but enjoyed it very much. My Mom, who I traveled with, had been there a number of times and commented on the fact that you could actually see the castles better since the trees were bare. It wasn't as pretty without the greenery, but could see them very well.

If you want to really get in to the Christmas spirit and love to shop for homemade things, the Christmas Market tour is wonderful! Yes, it was rather cold and dreary, but all the twinkling Christmas lights kind of made up for it in my mind.

I agree with going in the summer. It is so much fun to sit on the top deck and watch the beautiful scenery. As far as location I will have to cast my vote for the middle Rhine Valley.The scenery is amazing. I cruised briefly from Cologne to Heidelburg on a land tour in 2005 and it was beautiful.Did not want to get off the ship.

DH and I are booked Budapest to Amsterdam in 4 weeks and I can't wait!!!:D

So, that's 2 for Christmas time and 2 for summer lol. That is sort of how my process has been. Thank you so much for your replies. I know the "which cruise should I take" posts can be tiresome. Thank you for giving me your info. I will have to think about it some more.

So, that's 2 for Christmas time and 2 for summer lol. That is sort of how my process has been. Thank you so much for your replies. I know the "which cruise should I take" posts can be tiresome. Thank you for giving me your info. I will have to think about it some more.

A lot depends on your present appreciation of Germany & Europe. If your background is limited perhaps a leisurely tour would serve you better. I hope you will do both cruises as they each have attractions the other does not.

PS - My favorite Christmas Market was Prague's - just view this clip:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski/WITsClips/photo#5013759252951871586

WIT

I am planning a river cruise for my husband and myself.(probably 2008) Which cruise do you think would be a better first river cruise? The Christmas markets look fantastic but, would it be wiser to cruise in summer and see the castles? Thanks for any imput!

Mary

Hi Mary:

I have not experienced the Christamstime cruises yet, but have just returned from doing European Serenade with Uniworld Cruises. We sailed from Amsterdam to Vienna. I can't say enough about this cruise, right through from the ship, to the staff onboard, to the shore excursions.

Uniworld gave us a 5* experience and left no stone unturned to provide us with everything that we needed.

Using the upper decks, to sit out and view the beautiful scenery is definately something that you do not want to miss. It might be a little cold in the winter.

I would recommend the summer itinerary and then once you've experienced that do the winter.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy it.

I think the answer is obvious: Take one the first year and the other the next. Do them both and have a great time. :D

Seriously, it may just come down to a coin toss.

Pete

Hi,

I think that I would do the Christmas markets cruises first - Christmas is my favorite time of the year, especially in Europe. The Christmas markets are so beautiful and the cold weather is a good reason to drink more Gluhwein! The snow falls on the cathedrals and other medieval buildings in Europe and it gives it a fairy-tale quality. Plus, it is less crowded in Europe in the winter because of the colder temperatures, so you can get to experience local life. Prices tend to be better in the lower/winter season, too. I'd look at the Nuremburg-Vienna itinerary as my first choice.

If you do go in the summer, try early summer. The crowds are smaller and the weather is very comfortable. July and August can get hot and humid in central Europe. There are amazing castles around every bend in the river.

Definitely consider booking a stateroom on a higher deck. The views aren't obstructed and you often get floor-to-ceiling windows, often with a small balcony. It really isn't too much more expensive when you break it down on a day-to-day basis.

Regards,

Julia

Blog: spasandadventures.wordpress.com

Archived