What do you think about this idea? Disabled friendly?

Disneycruiser#1

My husband and I are cruising on the Caribbean Princess 8/28 eastern route without our 3 and 6 year old boys.

My husband is also deploying to Iraq at the beginning of the year. My parents were going to take the boys and I on are "annual" Disney Magic cruise while he was gone to occupy the boys (and me) but we had to cancel our reservation bc my Dad just found out he has prostate cancer.

He is young, only 56 and should be ok. He is having surgery Monday and all scans have been good but we will know more Monday after the Path test come back.

I had an idea. My parents would love Princess Cruiselines, they have loved the Disney Magic because it is a beautiful ship, great food and fun to see the grandkids with the characters and such. But to cruise on the Magic over spring break is just ridiculous and the Magic will be in California all summer.

I am going to take my Princess information to show them and start talking to them about it. Once we get through the surgery and my Dad is on his way to recovery I think it will be good to have a "goal aka cruise" to work toward.

I have learned it can take a Man 3 to 12 months plus to deal with long term effects from this type of surgery so a cruise would be great solution since he can do as much or as he lines and be close to his cabin.

My Mom is disabled and uses a wheelchair and scooter at all times. It seems from Princess cruise lines website and the information they sent me they are "disabled friendly". Is this anyone's experience?

Do they have handicapp cabins on the Caribbean Princess? Are they is certain categories?

The disappointment of canceling the cruise was hard and I want them to have something to work toward and look forward too. I think Princess Cruiselines would be a great idea and better than the Magic in many ways?

Any thoughts? We would be cruising the eastern route?

Thanks!

I have 2 daughters with Spina Bifida that use wheelchairs and Princess was very accessible for them. I just wish that they had more cabins that had more then 2 beds in them.

The wheelchair balcony cabins have a portable ramp that goes on the inside and outside of the door making it easy to go out on a balcony.

The deck plans in the various destination brochures show which cabins are handicapped accessible. They are in a variety of categories. I do not use a chair/scooter but would call myself mobility impaired. I did not have a handicapped cabin but was helped at every instance possible. Our shore excursion tickets were delivered the night before, our steward offered to get me a shower chair (much appreciated), and in areas where there were steps, like the show lounge areas were reserved so I could sit there. We only had one tender port (Europe cruise) and I was fully assisted to and from the ship. If your experience is like mine, I think you will be pleased. We like it so much we have reserved the Caribbean Princess for May, 2005 with our daughter and her family.

DC #1--Sorry, can't help you with your question, but I feel like a comrade since my husband has been an activated reservist serving for over 18 months so far (and now they're talking about extending them beyond 2 years - the current limit - due to military resource issues). We're just hoping he can get leave for our upcoming cruise! Good luck, and I'll think good thoughts for all of you.

Archived