For those on Crown that missed Bermuda recently

Cruisekitty1977

How long in advance did the captain give you to let you know that Bermuda was going to be missed? I would like to sign up for parasailing, but the cancellation policy is 24 hours in advance, so I am thinking that I would not have sufficient time to cancel if that happened. Thanks!

How long in advance did the captain give you to let you know that Bermuda was going to be missed? I would like to sign up for parasailing, but the cancellation policy is 24 hours in advance, so I am thinking that I would not have sufficient time to cancel if that happened. Thanks!

If you book through the ship then they will not charge you regardless. :)

Sometimes the Captain will not know until he is near the entrance to the channel the day of.

We started hearing from some crew members the night before that the winds may be too high to navigate the channel. But the the final decision was not be made until the morning when the captain and the pilot discussed it.

By the way, I think any good tour company would refund your money if the ship didn't dock. Tom.

I would not count on very much time at all. We have had announcement of ports cancelled after we were suppose to be there. The Captain may hope to give it a try up to the last minute. ;)

We also had a port announced as cancelled two days before because we had to sail the other way to avoid a tropical storm in the Cook Islands. :eek:

Things like parasailing and such can usually be found onshore. Most of the islands seem to have plenty of operators selling tours right where you get off the ship. For something like that, I'd just wait rather than book in advance.

Actually I've never heard of parasailing being offered as as ship sponsored excursion. I had always read disclaimers in the ships daily planners to use caution as it could be very dangerous.

We missed Bermuda on our sailing. The Captain came on at 8AM even in the cabin. He apologized for disturbing everyone so early and for having to miss the port. Later in the morning there was an announcement from the Shore Excursion desk that all ship sponsored tours were automatically being credited to your ship board accounts. It was all handled very timely and professional manner.

By the way, I think any good tour company would refund your money if the ship didn't dock. Tom.

Positively, don't count on it, Tom!!

Ship's excursions are normally completely refundable if the ship misses the port. But one of the perils of booking independently is that the operators ashore have a bewildering array of cancellation policies, and you can never assume a booking is cancellable or refundable! It is vitally important when you book an independent excursion to have a written confirmation of cancellation and refund policy and read it over very carefully. Then you can make a wise consumer decision whether it is acceptable to you. Don't assume anything!

We were on the sailing that missed Bermuda. How much time? Well at 8am when we were within a few miles of the pier, and could see all the beaches, the announcement was made that we would not be docking. At that time I did not feel the winds or seas were too high, however later in the day when we rescued a solo sailor from his crippled sailboat, things had changed dramatically.

As for getting your $$ back. I would say each company different. Stingray City in Grand Cayman will refund if your ship misses the port. There are a number of ports that get missed with regularity and Bermuda is one of them, so who knows . Depends if the company cares about their reputation I guess.

I was on QM2 in st Lucia the weather was so rough the capt banned wheelchair pgrs from using the tenders i booked an island tour while waiting the person in charge said anybody wanting to cancel just drop your tickets in the shore excrsn box i dropped my ticket and got refund next day on my acct i later tendered in after lunch when weather cleared

Archived