What's the best way to get to Mont Saint Michel?

Is it worth going to "see" Mt St Michel if one can't manage the steps? I.e. is the site itself interesting enough to warrant the little trip? (We dock in St Malo and we're wondering whether to sign on for the Mt St Michel excursion or just wander around St Malo; we can't manage a tough climb.) Thanks for feedback.

I just saw a Travel Channel, or Rudy Maxa or PBS tour that included Normandy and Mont St. Michel. Looks to me like there is a lot of steps, but they are not right in a row. Plus there is a small village there too.

I just saw a Travel Channel, or Rudy Maxa or PBS tour that included Normandy and Mont St. Michel. Looks to me like there is a lot of steps, but they are not right in a row. Plus there is a small village there too.

There are steps,BUT it is more walking up a street than climbing steps,UNTIL you get to the part where you have to climb to the Abbey that is where the STEPS come in to play.I have been to SM several times and only done the Abbey part once,and that was enough.If it were me again I would not go all the way to the top...just winding up is enough to see surrounding sight.

There are steps,BUT it is more walking up a street than climbing steps,UNTIL you get to the part where you have to climb to the Abbey that is where the STEPS come in to play.I have been to SM several times and only done the Abbey part once,and that was enough.If it were me again I would not go all the way to the top...just winding up is enough to see surrounding sight.

OOPS...I meant to say MSM not SM....however if one stayed in S.Malo it is a fun place to walk around and the seafood is so good as another poster said.

St Malo, like leHavre, was devastated during WW2 being bombed by both sides. St Malo however, is a good example of a gem of restoration within the old city walls, whereas leHavre looks like something out of post Stalin Russia. You can't go wrong wandering St Malo if you can't fight the steps at MSM which are grueling.:)

I just love getting all this wonderful feedback on St Malo (our first port). Now if I could only stop worrying about crossing the Bay of Biscay! Our itinerary is Dover-Nice, and when we signed on, I simply didn't consider the fact that that particular body of water can often be rough. Would probably have chosen a different itinerary if I'd have remembered the potential weather trouble. We'll cross our fingers and hope the weather gods are kind.

Archived