I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Hi Lynn,

Here's a few frothy, fun books I'd suggest for your cruise:

Hissy Fit by Mary Kay Andrews--Terrific southern romantic comedy.

Dead Until Darl by Charlaine Harris--this one is a hoot. It is a

funny romantic mystery featuring a vampire.

Return Engagement bu Lynn Michaels--a funny romance centered around a regional theater

Hot and Bothered by Jane Isenberg--a humorous mystery featuring a college teacher going through "the change"

Also, not to be immodest, there's always my books--funny romantic mysteries featuring a school psychologist as the sleuth. The latest one is Murder of a Pink Elephant.

Have a great time.

Denise Swanson

Hi, Denise,

How exciting to receive a message from YOU. Not to mention ironic. I've been trying to find some cozy mysteries on Amazon.com and re-discovered YOUR books. I'm off to Barnes & Noble this week for Pink Elephant!

And Hissy Fit was JUST recommended to me by a friend. I have Savannah Blue and Itty Bitty Lies already but haven't read them.

I think you and I like the same type of books.

Thank you for much for the suggestions, and I'm thrilled to have received a message from you!!!

Out of curiosity: Are you going on a cruise, too? What brought you to the cruise boards?

Lynn

Stuart Woods, James Patterson, John Grisham, Nora Roberts, and Nicholas Sparks are my top authors....

My all time fav book that got me hooked on Stuart Woods was 'Palandrone' (Think I spelled it right) GREAT mystery!!!

If you want to tug at your heart strings, read James Patterson's 'Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas' or anything by Nicholas Sparks.

Also, I am currently reading some VC Andrews. The only downside is she writes in series (usually 4 or 5 books per series) so you'll want to buy & take them all JUST to be sure. It would drive me nuts to take two and finish them in a few days then not know whats going to happen till I get home. Grrrrr.....

Does anyone know how the librarys on the ship are? Do they offer a good selection & is there a fee to borrow?

Would be better to borrow theirs than pack if they have a nice selection.

The weird thing about VC Andrews books is that most of them aren't even written by her. She died several years back and they just keep publishing books in her name. IMO, the older ones (like Dawn, etc...) are the best.

I loved, loved, loved Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. If you like that one, you'll absolutely weep at Message in a Bottle!

I would recommend the Shopoholic series by Sophie Kinsella if you like romance novels. They're funny and romantic but not the typical. I guess you'd call them chick lit.

Hi! I love this topic!

I'm just reading my third Shopaholic book ... Shopaholic Ties the Knot. I'm really, really enjoying them. If you have any other suggestions for good books like these (including chick lit), I'd appreciate it. Or any great books really!

Thank you,

Lynn

Hi! I love this topic!

I'm just reading my third Shopaholic book ... Shopaholic Ties the Knot. I'm really, really enjoying them. If you have any other suggestions for good books like these (including chick lit), I'd appreciate it. Or any great books really!

Thank you,

Lynn

I also just finished Shopaholic Ties the Knot. And I just picked up the fourth one, Shopaholic and Sister, from the library but haven't started it yet. I think they are all great.

That's next on my list, too. Plus I want to read Can You Keep a Secret.

I'm trying to find more books like these ... or any other upbeat women's fiction. I want FUN stuff to read on my cruise ... and just in general.

Any ideas?

Oh! I can recommend anything by Meg Cabot! Her adult books are EXCELLENT.

Lynn

Particularily good for any Alaskan cruise are books by either Dana Stabenow or Sue Henry....both are mystery writers and all the stories take place in Alaska. Since they both live there, the geography is true as well as the way of living. Good fun...and quick reads.........Dodie

Hi! I love this topic!

Thank you,

Lynn

I've read some of the Princess Diaries books by Meg Cabot (I'm only 20 so they are right up my alley) and liked them. My roommate loves them and buys them as soon as they come out just like I do with Harry Potter books (6 is already pre-ordered!). I will read just about anything really.

I agree with everyone who said that Janet Evanovich is a good choice. I was reading either 9 or 10 one night while suffering from insomnia. It was about 3 am and I was laughing so hard at the scene on the airplane that I woke up my 11 year old on the next floor of our house.

Some other suggestions that I didn't see yet....Adriana Trigiani--"Lucia, Lucia" and "Queen of the Big Time" were wonderful. Her Big Stone Gap trilogy was also a a good read. And Jeanne Ray's books are enjoyable and light. I loved "Eat Cake" and "Julie and Romeo". I am thinking of taking "Step Ball Change" on my next trip.

Happy Reading to everyone and thanks for the good suggestions.

Tammy

Ok . . . first of all let me say that I usually have 3 "books" going at the same time . . . one that I read every night before going to sleep . . . one in the car (On CD of course:rolleyes: ) and one that I keep in my luggage when I'm traveling quite a bit (have to get it out during the winter to complete).

That said . . . my "favorites" lately have been:

The Devil wears prada . . . and The Nanny Diaries

Elizabeth Peters books (ALL OF THEM!!!)

The Queen's Fool . . . The Other Bolyn Girl . . . and getting ready to get

The Virgin Lover (these if you enjoy historical romance kind of stuff)!!

But the BEST book I've read in a while has GOT to be . . . The Book of Four!!

I can't believe that 4 college boys wrote this!!!! It's really good!!

Kim

I like to read funny light books on cruises because there are so many distractions....."look at the dolphins"..we all jump up to see them.

16_5_20.gif

I've read Jennifer Weiner's ..."Good In Bed", "In Her Shoes", "Little Earthquakes" all hysterically funny. Also a good author is Marian Keyes. "Watermelon", "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married", Rachel's Holiday, "Angels".

Also mentioned on this thread earlier..Sophie Kinsella's Shopoholic series are very funny. "Confessions of a Shopoholic" had me laughing out loud. I guess they are now considered "chick-lit". 3_3_6.gif

Leslie

Hi, Tammy,

I, too, love Jeanne Ray's books! I love the scene in the flower shop, especially!

I haven't read any of Adriana Trigiani's books yet. Are they all good, and would you recommend any one in particular?

Thank you,

Lynn

One of my favorite things to do is read a good book on vacation, especially by the pool on a cruise. The worst thing in the world is bringing a couple of books to read, and they are all no good, boring, horrible to read.

Soooooo. Does anybody have any recommendations? (I have already read War and Peace!)

Peace and love to all.

It is nice if you can find a book (fiction) that describes the place you are visiting. Makes the trip interesting.

Particularily good for any Alaskan cruise are books by either Dana Stabenow or Sue Henry....both are mystery writers and all the stories take place in Alaska. Since they both live there, the geography is true as well as the way of living. Good fun...and quick reads.........Dodie

Also try the Nevada Barr series about a U.S. park ranger, Anna Pigeon. She's a very independent, feisty woman, getting up there in years now. Love reading her adventures in the various U.S. national parks. Try them in chronological order to watch her character grow, or look for a setting, such as Florida, that you'll be visiting.

Am reading The Glory and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone right now. It's the biography of Michelangelo. I found it slow going for the first 3 chapters, but now that he's actually working on pieces with which I'm familiar, I'm fascinated. Of course, besides learning about Michelangelo, one gets spoon fed a lot of history. My preferred way to study! Perfect for my upcoming Italian vacation.

:D

Any Dominic Dunne book...vicariously live the "behind the scenes" of the mega rich.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

David Sedaris!!! Warning, language is very adult...If that does not bother you, ANY of his books will have you laughing until you are finally crying! Me Talk Pretty One Day is a good start. Some of the BEST books I have EVER read!