I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I was on the Inspiration several years ago and went to the library where I found 3 books written by Jimmy Buffet. They were PERFECT cruise books! He is a great writer. You might want to consider A Piece of Salty Land which I thoroughly enjoyed.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

Txtvsales

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

On our last cruise I read " the Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw from cover to cover. This book I highly recomend for all Baby Boomers and younger to read, just to get an idea of what our now seniors did at the time of their youth to protect and maintain our freedom. We need to talk to them while they are still here, so we don't forget their sacrifices and willingness to overcome such a threat to our freedom. Since that type of evil reappeared on 9/11. Next cruise will be "the Greatest Generation Speaks. I also find that a good Stephen King book to fit in well on a cruise, such as "Bag Of Bones" or "The Stand".

• 3 weeks later...

I like to bring one epic book and this one is so wonderful it has it all

Edmund Fuller review says " were Miss Kaye to produced no other book The Far Pavilions might stand as a lasting accomplishment in a single work comparable to Margaret Mitchell's achievement in Gone with the wind it is about a man you was raised as an native of India during the 1800's only to find out his parents are really English so he thinks in two worlds, it has a great love story, history, palace intrigue, murder, and just every satisfying thing in a book

Enjoy

Plumeria

Summit Jan 2 2006

Hi, Plumeria,

I'm glad you mentioned The Far Pavilions. I've never read the book, yet have had it reommended to me a few times over the course of the years. I am going to buy it this weekend! Thank you for bringing this book to my attention again!

For the longest time I wasn't interested in a saga book, but now I am but couldn't think of what I'd like to read. This is really good, hmmm?

Lynn

I love the Far Pavilions, it is one of my all-time favorite books. Shadow of the Wind is excellent as well. They are both great beach reads.

I like to bring one epic book and this one is so wonderful it has it all

Edmund Fuller review says " were Miss Kaye to produced no other book The Far Pavilions might stand as a lasting accomplishment in a single work comparable to Margaret Mitchell's achievement in Gone with the wind it is about a man you was raised as an native of India during the 1800's only to find out his parents are really English so he thinks in two worlds, it has a great love story, history, palace intrigue, murder, and just every satisfying thing in a book

Enjoy

Plumeria

Summit Jan 2 2006

My comments on casting for the Stephanie Plum books...

Definitely Sandra Bullock for Stephanie. I like the Rock for Ranger. Benjamin Brat and Jimmy Smits are just too approachable. The Rock is sexy, has muscles in the right place and fits the image. I can't think of a good Morelli. I'm thinking Queen Latifa for Lula...

I've already put my suggestions for books in here previously. These days I read Frommers or Fodors...

I am a big Stargate SG1 fan so it only makes sense that I read, The Book of the Dead. All about Egyptian Gods. Just picked it up yesterday. Pretty cool stuff.

Hmm.. which version of it do you have? I've heard they very in accuracy very much.

Has anyone ever read Lynn Flewelling's novels.. or Storm Constantine's? I just read The Bone Doll's Twin, Hidden Warrior, and Luck in the shadows by Flewelling. They are VERY good.. and really engrossing.

event.png

I love to bring big books on a cruise that I might not be able to tackle at other times. With 2 days at sea each way I am bringing: the latest "Harry Potter" and "1776" by David McCullough.

For any American Revolution fans, some other good reads are those by Jeff Shaara "Rise to Rebellion" and "the Glorious Cause." I was actually in tears reading George Washington's farewell at Fraunces Tavern!

I love to bring big books on a cruise that I might not be able to tackle at other times. With 2 days at sea each way I am bringing: the latest "Harry Potter" and "1776" by David McCullough.

For any American Revolution fans, some other good reads are those by Jeff Shaara "Rise to Rebellion" and "the Glorious Cause." I was actually in tears reading George Washington's farewell at Fraunces Tavern!

I will have to check these out too! I am still engrossed in John Adams by David McCullough.

Thanks,

sirclicksalot

I'm reading the Da Vinci Code right now. My sister recommended it and surprisingly I agree with her. :eek:

Binney, I'm afraid I will have the newest Harry Potter book read by Monday. I will get it on Saturday. There is no way I could wait until my cruise next month.:rolleyes:

I have already bought several books.....and immediately packed them away until Sept. The newest addition: Harry Potter, to be released this weekend.

We are on board for 18 days, of which 9 days are at sea. Looking forward to lots of down time!

cheers

Almost everythjing I have read by Erica Spindler are great. She lives in NO and was on a Carnival cruise with me and 20+ other authors last October. (Authorsatsea.com) Great mystery novels and most require me to read them at all once-no stopping! She is also a great lady- very nice person to meet-down to earth.:)