I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Away from series/mystery authors, "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" (lower case part of the title) by Mark Haddon thrusts one into a world of thought experienced by an austistic child. Don't hesitate to consider it...in fact forget the description....just read a page or two.

I second this, I read it a couple of months ago and I thought it was terrific. It's a different style of writing.

just my 2 cents for anyone considering audio books, get the unabridged editions. You just can't do a book justice in a 4-6 hour abridged version. Most unabridged run 9-14 hours.

Some authors I've enjoyed recently are Michael Connolly (any of his), vince flynn, david baldacci (try "the winner"), also Sara Paretsky has a new mystery novel out and if you enjoy a grand historical adventure. do try Wilbur Smith his trilogy Birds of Prey, Monsoon and Blue Horizons as well as his River God, Warlock and seventh Scroll series about ancient Egypt.

Lvteks - I loved Monkeewrench and have given away several copies to get others hooked. :) Have you tried any of the Lee Child books? They start with Killing Floor. All of the books you mentioned in your post have been recommended by readers on the forum on Lee Child's website. I would imagine you would like Lee's work as well.

Back in January, IllinoisAuthor posted about her Scumble River mysteries. I picked up Murder of a Pink Elephant a couple of months ago and for one reason or another it sat on my ToBeRead pile.

I finally got around to reading it and I have to say I am now hooked. :) After finishing MoaPE I had to run right out and purchase the next in the series, Murder of a Smart Cookie. I love these books!

-Janine

First, I have to say that I love that this post is a year old!! Second, here are some great reads that I have read and discussed with my book group in the last few months! Enjoy and thanks for the other recommendations!

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Mermaid's Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

Country of Origin by Don Lee

>>> Trying to figure out when we can fit in the next cruise!!<<<

I like to read cruise-related books during a cruise. This is a list of what I have 'saved' for my next one:

Clarke, Anne Cabin 3003

Fairchild, Sally Ports of Call

Bain, Donald Murder on the QE2

Heller, Jane Princess Charming

Kling, Christine Surface Tension

Roberts, David Dangerous Sea

Skye, Christina Going Overboard

Of course, I have yet to read more than 1 book during a cruise. Too much fun!:p

I also love the Jennifer Weiner books (Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, and Little Earthquakes).

James patterson's Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas and Sam's Letter's to Jennifer are real tear jerkers, but excellent books.

I just finished Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It was a tough read, but I really liked it. I'm working on another one of his books right now-Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

I love the older books by VC Andrews. The newer ones just seem to be the same stories over and over again.

And finally....call me crazy, but I'm 29 years old and I LOVE my Harry Potter!

Here is a list of books that I have read that I really enjoyed (couldn't put down)

Belva Plain

Evergreen

M.M. Kaye

The Far Pavillions

Frank Herbert

Dune

James Clavell

Shogun

J.R.R Tolkien

The Hobbit

Lord of the Rings

Isaac Asimov

Foundation Trilogy

Dean Koontz

Lightning

The Watchers

The Bad Place

Stephen King

The Stand

Night Shift

Bag of Bones

James Michener

Centennial

Hawaii

The Source

J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter Series

I also love the Jennifer Weiner books (Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, and Little Earthquakes).

James patterson's Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas and Sam's Letter's to Jennifer are real tear jerkers, but excellent books.

I just finished Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It was a tough read, but I really liked it. I'm working on another one of his books right now-Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

I love the older books by VC Andrews. The newer ones just seem to be the same stories over and over again.

And finally....call me crazy, but I'm 29 years old and I LOVE my Harry Potter!

I keep trying to get through Wicked! I just haven't been able to get into it yet.

Has anybody gone on Amazon and brought up a book they've liked and see what recs were listed for other similar books?

BTW, ten years ago was taking a fiction writing class and Michael Connolly came to speak at one session (we were using "The Poet" to study). Unfortunately, I came down with an awful hay fever attack and had to miss the class.

I, too, loved the Kite Runner - and the whole Harry Potter series (can't put 'em down!). I haven't read through all of these posts yet, so I apologize if I repeat anything, but I've recently gotten into Jodi Picault's books. She is a great writer, she has an amazing talent to suck you into a story and not let go until the last page. All of her books are different - I'd recommend My Sister's Keeper (which deals with a little girl dying of cancer and her sister as the blood/marrow/organ donor that is keeping her alive) or The Pact (a love story with a dark side...don't want to give anything more away than that...), but I've loved everything I've picked up of hers so far.

don't know if anyone has already mentioned her, but if you don't mind crying into your frou frou drink on the pool deck, luanne rice writes really emotional love and loss stories, but they're pretty quick reads (though avoid Firefly Beach, that's the only one i couldn't read past chapter 3).

For a deep, philosophical, yet accessable, easy read about how the world came to be the way it is, i LOVE Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. i read it at least once a year, and every time, it blows my mind.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving, was a requirement for a college class, but ended up being a surprise favorite.

i, too, am a jennifer crusie fan. if you love her, you'll love jane heller, too.

I was just about to get on here and write a post about a new author, but then saw this link and figured I'd post it here!

Winds of Change, by Alisa Allan

After Midnight, by Alisa Allan

To start off- I am a big reader. I read everything from James Patterson, John Grisham, Janet Evanovich, Danielle Steel, Catherine Coulter, Judith McNaught to Fitzgerald, Hemmingway and Dickinson. I looooove traveling (cruising) and having a good book to read while sitting in my beach chair with the surf rolling over my feet. The books I just recently read were my FAVORITE beach reads ever, and can't wait until the next one comes out. I signed up for the author's newsletters on her website just to get a heads up about when the next one is released!

I took the NCL Crown to Bermuda in May- and right before I left I read a book my aunt had passed along to me since I was going. Winds of Change by Alisa Allan and to make a long story short it was a romance novel- but in it the characters took a cruise to Bermuda. I read the book in a few short hours and couldn't put it down. When I went to Bermuda I felt like I'd been there before because all of the places and things to do were in the book I'd read. While I read I even had a mental "must-do-list" from what the characters had done. Not to mention the story and characters were great. Haha.

Apparently this author loves traveling, and cruises especially, and in all of her books different places are visited. I read her second one that's been released, After Midnight (my favorite so far), and it had a cruise to the Mexican Riviera and then the Canada/New England cruise. While reading I "kind of" had an idea of what ships they were on just from the descriptions of restaurants and lounges, and think I've been on a couple!

I just think it was fun reading about characters who are doing what I love to do most, traveling and cruising. I love reading books about places I've been and things I've done- so these were perfect for me.

My aunt got her copy at Barnes and Noble- but I was on the author's website and figured I'd post that up because they have a sale of both books for $20 (They're $12 each at Barnes & Noble)- and the author signs the ones purchased from the publisher's website for free.

http://www.traveltimepress.com is the website. Email me if you have any questions, but I loved these books and figured I'd pass the word along to my fellow cruisers/travelreaders.

I always release a few books on every cruise I take as part of BookCrossing.com and have had 3 or 4 journaled. Check out my BookCrossing shelf; I am Bookish-Angel over there.

I'm a bookcrosser also, but I've always just donated a book to their library. Where have you left books that have been picked up? I'll try that next time! :D

HAL's Maasdam has a great library and I have had 2 books picked up and journaled from there. When I was on the RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas, I left them on some shelves that served as their library area.

I am going on the Masdam again next March and will release a lot of books inthe library, gym, spa, etc. I won the 5th BookCrossing Tiara RABCK Sweepstakes so I have a huge " to be read and released" pile.

I have a few on my list, the Kite Runner is a definate now, and I also heard good things about (give me a minute), Susan Kidd? Can't remember if that's it or not and it's probably in the posts but I have a slow dial up connection today (I know, ancient). Bees Knees? or something? NO, Secret Life Of Bees. That's it. And there's another one too, but can't remember it.